Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Official Star Wars Thread

Post by EricJ » July 29th, 2015, 12:16 pm

Lord Akiyama wrote:If any one hasn't seen it, I highly recommend watching the documentary The People vs. George Lucas, which is currently available on Netflix last I saw. It's a great examination on the whole Star Wars fan culture from all sides.
Just finished that this week:
Although it does straw-man the "Fan entitlement" argument ("He can't do that to OUR Star Wars!")--complete with excerpting the Misery-parody fan-film--they make a good point by the end that Between-Trilogies George (or "Willow-era", as I like to refer to it) became such an insecure control-freak of his own empire, he forgot the one thing that made the first movie, and "American Graffiti", good movies in the first place. Namely, the director's ability to hire good people and trust their work. Instead, he insisted on making the Prequel Trilogy "his" movies, and took over jobs he was clearly unqualified for, like screenwriting.
(Which Ep. VII solved by trying to get Lawrence Kasdan back, although I don't think we'll ever truly have Kasdan "back" after Grand Canyon.)

The one YouTube fan who provided his own alternate solution to RotS's "Nooo!" emphasizes the point that when the director can't make a better film than the audience can, neither side's innocent.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 29th, 2015, 3:10 pm

Well...Williams wasn't really fully set up to score all the films when he wrote Star Wars, or he wouldn't have made the main theme Luke's music (it is, it really just is) and would have come up with something proper for Vader that would have then been used for the sequels, instead of just bringing in the Imperial March for Empire onwards.

If only he'd known how it was going to go then he could have given us a theme for Luke and maybe developed the March earlier for the first film. It does "bug" me that the Star Wars theme - used to identify Luke in the first film - then just becomes a generic theme in subsequent movies...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » September 4th, 2015, 11:14 pm

The toy EVERYONE was hunting for on Force Friday.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 5th, 2015, 5:01 am

That is even more insane than them building BB-8 for real in the first place!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 6th, 2015, 10:49 am

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 18th, 2015, 1:36 pm

New poster! Plus trailer confirmed for tomorrow!

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/6 ... r#/slide/1

:D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 18th, 2015, 4:49 pm

Dacey wrote:New poster! Plus trailer confirmed for tomorrow!

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/6 ... r#/slide/1
Boy, that's a lot of actors whose agents insisted on character-marketing exposure on the final-release poster...
Posters have just gotten too darn crowded since the late 90's. :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 18th, 2015, 6:06 pm

"Final release poster"? With no Luke Skywalker?

Unless...

;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 18th, 2015, 6:24 pm

I've heard rumors that the plan is to keep Luke "hidden" until the final film is released.

But I've also heard rumors that Anakin Skywalker is still alive, so...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 19th, 2015, 3:46 pm

Ben wrote:"Final release poster"? With no Luke Skywalker?
For the same reason, I'm guessing, that Leonard Nimoy wasn't in the poster for the JJ Abrams Star Trek:
It's climactic geek-thrills that he's back, but he's not the freakin' main character of the movie!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 19th, 2015, 7:18 pm

And Han and Leia are? To me it seems weird that they are prepared to put all the old gang on the poster to convince the 'true' fans to 'return' but the main character from the original trilogy is missing.

I'm worried that the reason he isn't on the poster is because Luke is revealed in a twist to be the bad guy on the poster. Which means it would look silly if Luke appeared twice on the poster.

I will admit I am stoked that C-3PO and R2-D2 have made it onto the poster though

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 20th, 2015, 12:09 am

Someone had better perform CPR on me. I can't breathe.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 20th, 2015, 2:31 am

Outstanding, Hollywood should pay attention to that trailer. It has convinced me that returning to the galaxy is worth it and yet I have absolutely no idea how things are going to play out. A major criticism I have with modern trailers. And if that is the music Williams has composed for the film, it sounds like a massive return to form for him, after slight underwhelming scores of the Prequel Trilogy. I was worried we weren't going to see Leia. Sadly my money is still on Luke being slightly corrupted, but I hpe I am wrong.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 20th, 2015, 4:27 am

I don't think that's score music, but even if it is then I can't quite call it a return to form, just yet, for simply reusing old trilogy themes with a modern orchestration. Let's hope, though...it does tingle the spine.

The trailer does the classic and required job of "show, don't tell", which is what all the best ones do. Have to be honest and say the teaser didn't really set me alight, but that I loved the behind the scenes trailer that got me fired up about the visuals more. This, however, I watched three times in a row and just loved the emotion of it and how good Harrison Ford sounded...he's either invested himself in this in a way he hasn't for a while or JJ has managed to coax out his best performance in ages...maybe both.

HOWEVER...

I think, exactly *because* the publicity so far has not shown one image or shot of Luke as an older Jedi, that this trailer all but confirms that he actually is indeed is on the poster - prominently - and that he is all over this trailer...we just don't know it yet. Will he want to finish what his father started...? Will the kids help him come back to the light ("just let it in")? Is that the Skywalker family arc of this film of the entire new trilogy? Will he...gasp...be responsible for killing Han Solo? Risky move...even if he redeems himself there's no coming back from that...

Or is that Old Jedi Luke climbing around at the front of the trailer (probably not though) and could it just be that they want to save his full reveal for the film? Or is it classic JJ misdirection to get us all to think a bunch of things and then surprise us with something else entirely? I hope so...!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 20th, 2015, 4:56 am

After getting giddy with excitement about the potential awesomeness of this movie, I thought I should take a reality check and rewatch the original trailer for Phantom Menace. Case I vaguely remember being excited for that movie and look what was delivered there. I can safely say the Phantom Menace definitely prepared us for what was to come, it was painfully boring and just filled with pointless sound grabs. The later prequel trailers improved but that Phantom Menace one was lazy as a dead snail. Glad effort went into creating this trailer, no please don't disappoint.