X-Men Movies Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: X-Men Movies Thread

Post by Ben » July 16th, 2015, 8:31 pm

Exactly!

No, Vi...not scary at all. In fact I think these all look rather silly, childish and amateur. One of the talkbacks says it best: they look like they're in cosplay...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 16th, 2015, 10:28 pm

Jubes look cute as a button (but then I'm a bit bias towards Jubes, :lol: ).

May have to hunt down a leak of the Comic Con trailer, but otherwise I'll wait until I see everything in action before judging the quality of the make-up and costumes.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 16th, 2015, 10:50 pm

Also, I assume it's just on-set poses, as Apocalypse the same height as the other characters?....Umm, no.
But yes, Jubilee's so on-comic, it's perfect. That's the one thing good about having a TAS-raised director.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 17th, 2015, 12:35 am

They actually look like the characters from the comics? With costumes and everything?

Wow. Finally an X-Men movie that looks like an X-Men movie! (First Class did well, too, but those were still uniforms, with similar color schemes. X-Men A has real costumes!!!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 20th, 2015, 4:20 pm

Interesting piece: Why DOFP and Apocalypse are an insult to First Class:

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/07/20/ ... nal,manual
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2015, 5:05 pm

What a badly written rant! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the message was lost in the awful text, as per the talkback comments...

Seriously, the guy needs to take a step back... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 20th, 2015, 9:33 pm

Ben wrote:What a badly written rant! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the message was lost in the awful text, as per the talkback comments...
Yeah, he just complained about Singer "changing the cast" and "not doing anything fresh"--
I thought he was going to complain about DoFP's Singer taking the overused trope of turning McAvoy's Xavier into a whiny fatalist wuss who has to be "cured" by the A-list star of the movie. I give the print-comic Prof a LITTLE more credit than that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 20th, 2015, 11:36 pm

Just painful to read--- too many typos. It's hard to take such poorly written stuff seriously.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 21st, 2015, 12:44 am

Yeah, I sort of skimmed it and found the premise somewhat interesting, but didn't look at it closely enough. Interesting argument but terrible execution, I agree.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 22nd, 2015, 2:12 pm

Picture from set, plus official logo:

http://www.slashfilm.com/x-men-apocalyp ... set-photo/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 22nd, 2015, 5:46 pm

Ivan Ooze!!

Sorry, Apocalypse is just not very scary at all.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 28th, 2015, 6:24 pm

At the end of the day, this is all Singer being Singer...again.

He drops out of The Last Stand. He supposedly "supports" new director. Then, he "undoes" that film because he's passive aggressive.

He drops out of First Class. He supposedly "supports" new director. Then, he "undoes" the point of that film and "merges" the two trilogies.

Now, he's apparently undoing the timelines even more so...making me wonder how the heck there's even going to be an "Old Man Logan" film now, given that the only logical way to go would be to make a "sequel" to The Wolverine...a movie that won't happen now because he spent it grieving over a death that won't happen.

It's also cute because both Ratner and especially Vaughn literally had to jump in at the last moment. Vaughn was brought on because the producer saw Kick-Ass and loved it, resulting in him having only eleven months to work on the film before its release (the script was even being worked on during shooting while on planes and what not). But Singer, inexplicably, gets credit for being the "master" of the franchise despite constantly jumping ship on it at the last minute.

I just...ugh...still wish Vaughn were doing this.... :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 28th, 2015, 6:29 pm

Bryan Singer is a spoilt little brat who relies on so many others to give him the illusion of "talent".

(Maybe Old Man Logan could still be a sequel to The Wolverine...following that timeline...?)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 28th, 2015, 7:56 pm

I like the more serious tone in Singer's films vs. what Vaugn and Ratner did, although I do recognize the positive things in their films as well (fun action set pieces, etc...). I realize not everyone goes for the strong alienation themes in Singer's films, and I definitely respect that--it's not everyone's cup of tea. But I still think he did a great job with them and that there will be a lot to appreciate in Apocalypse.

Also, practical sets are being built for the film as well, not just green screens:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/07/28/di ... apocalypse

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » July 28th, 2015, 9:18 pm

And now Channing Tatum has left the Gambit movie.

http://landofthenerds.blogspot.com/2015 ... aying.html
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!