WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: WB Archive Collection: DVDs On Demand!

Post by droosan » June 25th, 2015, 5:19 am

I realize that Atom Ant is getting a release to capitalize on 'Ant Man fever' (if there is such a thing) ..

Still, I'm curious to know whether this DVD will feature just Atom Ant segments ..

or The Atom Ant Show (half-hours with Precious Pup and Hillbilly Bears cartoon segments) ..

or, the whole enchilada: The Atom Ant/Secret Squirrel Show (full-hour episodes with all of the above, plus Secret Squirrel, Squiddly Diddly and Winsome Witch cartoon segments).

c'mon, Warner Archive! You could capitalize on 'SPECTRE fever', too..! :wink:
Last edited by droosan on June 25th, 2015, 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 25th, 2015, 6:41 am

Going by WB's previous form, I'd say it was just the Atom Ant segments, which would allow them to put all 26 shows on one disc/set (this, especially, because of the way they presented a couple of episodes already on the Saturday Morning sets).

They could always go the multi-disc route and include the whole shows (unlikely, given the number of hour-long programs), but I remember Atom first being a part of a two-fer with Secret Squirrel (at least how we saw them in the UK) before everything got sliced up for various "new" syndication shows.

I'd have loved a Atom Ant & Secret Squirrel set in this case, but Atom will do...hopefully it means Squirrel is also going to get the DVD treatment sometime too. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 25th, 2015, 9:14 am

I fear Ben is right, but it would be fantastic to see entire episodes with the other shorts as well. It's hard to imagine them doing a Hillbilly Bears set on its own, after all. However, I'd be surprised if Secret Squirrel isn't announced before the end of the year.

I do have Atom and Secret shorts on LaserDisc, and Winsome and Precious on VHS. Hmmmm.... I'll have to see if I can track down a Squiddly or Bears tape!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 25th, 2015, 11:06 am

droosan wrote:I realize that Atom Ant is getting a release to capitalize on 'Ant Man fever' (if there is such a thing) ..

Still, I'm curious to know whether this DVD will feature just Atom Ant segments ..

or The Atom Ant Show (half-hours with Precious Pup and Hillbilly Bears cartoon segments) ..
There's Ant-Man fever (especially among those feeling a touch of premature Avengers depression), you just don't know where to look. :D
And if there is, I'm guessing we're just getting segments. Once they've moved to the Archive, I've given up on Warner knocking themselves out to reproduce the full Huckleberry Hound Experience for full episodes of HB shows.

(Not to mention, AA was one of the more annoying goody-goods of the whole HB canon--None of the Mel Blanc comic timing of Squirrel.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » July 7th, 2015, 6:42 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » August 3rd, 2015, 9:24 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 18th, 2015, 4:54 pm

gaastra wrote:Stus show confirmed more cartoons coming!
Jack and The Beanstalk hanna-barbera movie
Delivered:
http://www.wbshop.com/product/jack+and+ ... 0582191.do?

Not to mention digging further into the vaults, and starting to unearth the ABC Afterschool Specials (back when they were HB cartoons, and before they became teen-alcoholism dramas), and Saturday Superstar Movies:
http://www.wbshop.com/product/hanna+bar ... 0583000.do?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 18th, 2015, 10:15 pm

I realize that the specials may not be too good, but I would really like to see those. Jack too, of course.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 19th, 2015, 9:54 am

I *love* Kelly's Jack special and was thrilled to find my VHS of it fairly recently. I do actually have a 16mm print of the special too, but lugging out the projector is a bit of a kerfuffle. Perhaps next time I have a friend come over to stay it would be worth the bother to run a few shorts and things... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 23rd, 2015, 12:35 pm

And the animation holy grails continue:
Twice Upon a Time: http://www.wbshop.com/product/twice+upo ... 0564687.do?

(The first time Lucasfilm had a weird animated flop-- :lol:
And yes, it was mentioned in interviews that WA does know of the two soundtracks, but no mention in the listing.)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 23rd, 2015, 12:53 pm

How have I never heard of this movie until now?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 23rd, 2015, 1:43 pm

The disc will have both soundtrack versions, according to an interview with director Jeff Korty and a tweet from Warners earlier this year when it was announced.

My only disappointment, after *such* a long wait and knowing how many people were waiting for this, is that WB hasn't gone for a Blu-ray release.

Full history of the film here (prepare to lose an evening reading):
http://www.footnoteconspiracy.com/AB%20 ... 202011.pdf

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 23rd, 2015, 4:32 pm

Dacey wrote: How have I never heard of this movie until now?
You...didn't have HBO in the 80's? :wink:

Seriously, if you didn't know Korty's shorts from (old-school) Sesame Street, it would come off a bit odd--from the old pre-Care Bears mid-70's to early-80's days when animation was either Disney or weird---and the semi-improvised dialogue is a nice experiment, but you have to be in the mood for quirky oddness:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » September 23rd, 2015, 6:06 pm