Animated Views Celebrity Obituary Thread

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 7th, 2009, 10:18 am

My last semester of college, I was taking a class called "Great Screenplays". In addition to what I watched in class, I had to pick a screenwriter to study over the course of the semester. I picked John Hughes. He was one of the greats of the last few decades and his work speaks for itself. His films (whether he directed or just wrote) had a distinct voice and a unique sensibility that has never been duplicated. Rest In Peace, friend, and thanks for the memories. You will be missed.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 7th, 2009, 12:52 pm

Loved Hughes back in the day, but let's be honest in that he won't really be "missed" in the good old sense. After the 1990s hit, his work became more and more kid-geared and in the end he was executive producing made for TV Home Alone sequels and directing the likes of Curly Sue and Baby's Day Out.

Before that, he did indeed pick up where Fast Times At Ridgemont High left off and made some of the defining American student films of all time...of their time, but timeless in a way too, and <I>that's</I> the Hughes that we should be remembering, which I guess we are, going by the films that are being highlighted by the press and here.

- "What do you think the temperature is?"

- "... ... One."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » August 7th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Ben wrote:[...]that's the Hughes that we should be remembering, which I guess we are, going by the films that are being highlighted by the press and here.
It does indeed seem as if many - maybe even most - reports these past few days overlook Hughes' work after Home Alone. Personally, I think some of those films, such as Beethoven and 101 Dalmatians, aren't that bad. Still, I agree it's best to focus on Hughes' greatest films.

By the way, I love the Planes, Trains & Automobiles quote you posted, Ben. My favorite Hughes quote is probably from Ferris Bueller's Day Off: "Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

On a side note, here is an intriguing story making its way around several websites: "Sincerely, John Hughes" [note: the article has a bit of strong language]. The article's author, Alison Byrne Fields, recalls being Hughes' pen pal.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 9th, 2009, 4:51 pm

A personal confession: I never really cared for Ferris.

There, I said it.

Not only do I find the situations too fantastical for the kind of tone the movie is (it's not quite a straight out fantastical comedy like Weird Science, She's Having A Baby or Planes, Trains And Automobiles, but not a teen introspection piece like Breakfast Club or Pretty In Pink either), but I think the film came at a time when Hughes had made an impact but hadn't quite matured enough to write that kind of dialogue.

For young adults, a line like that probably sounds quite profound, but it's really apple-pie philosophy that's all a bit glib and shallow. Not that Planes, Trains And Automobiles is the only Hughes film I can think of right now, but there are much better takes on similar sentiments in that film, when he had found his feet and could write real life stuff.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 11th, 2009, 1:28 pm

Aint-It-Cool-News is reporting a company has licensed a documentary about John Hughes called, "Don't Forget About Me."

More info about it here... http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42010

There are some notably absent names from the interview sections of that film...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Les Paul dies at 94

Post by James » August 13th, 2009, 8:38 pm

Guitar, studio wizard Les Paul dies at 94
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html
Les Paul, whose innovations with the electric guitar and studio technology made him one of the most important figures in recorded music, has died, according to a statement from his publicists. Paul was 94.

Les Paul, whose innovations helped give rise to modern pop music, played guitar into his 90s.

Paul died in White Plains, New York, from complications of severe pneumonia, according to the statement.

Paul was a guitar and electronics mastermind whose creations -- such as multitrack recording, tape delay and the solid-body guitar that bears his name, the Gibson Les Paul -- helped give rise to modern popular music, including rock 'n' roll. No slouch on the guitar himself, he continued playing at clubs into his 90s despite being hampered by arthritis...

GeorgeC

RIP, Patrick Swayze

Post by GeorgeC » September 14th, 2009, 9:07 pm

It's been confirmed that Patrick Swayze passed away this Monday at age 57.

Swayze had spent the better part of two years fighting pancreatic cancer and continued to work in spite of his pain and cancer treatments.

Swayze was best known for his role as the deceased title character in the film, Ghost. Swayze continued to work over a career that spanned three decades -- primarily in action and dramatic film roles. Swayze famously spoofed his most famous role in a great skit when he hosted Saturday Night Live. He also parodied the less heterosexual aspects of his manly image in a well-remembered Hanz and Franz sketch co-starring Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon.

Swayze's last role was as the lead of the 13-episode of the A & E dramatic series, The Beast.

Remembered as a nice guy and devoted husband, he will be missed...

Man, I knew he was sick but it's still very sudden.

57 is still too young to pass away.

I still remember my uncle's own pancreatic cancer. Nasty disease with no real cure in sight. You're lucky if you last past 18 months with this cancer.

Chemo and surgery are horrible courses of treatment that really only prolong the pain in the long run. There's got to be something on the horizon that's less primitive and barbaric than that...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 15th, 2009, 12:02 am

:(

That's just too sad.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2009, 6:29 am

I can't say Swayze ever made much impact on me as an actor, but he was good in Ghost and by all accounts he was a decent man. No-one deserves to go the way he did.

GeorgeC

RIP, Henry Gibson -- Laugh-In regular and "Wilbur"

Post by GeorgeC » September 16th, 2009, 10:13 pm

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002099/

Laugh-In regular and character actor Henry Gibson has passed away from cancer at age 73.

Gibson specialized in macabre, off-beat characters portraying everything from Nazis to off-kilter neighbors and general kooks. During his long career, he also did much voiceover work in animation and is best known in the field as the voice of "Wilbur" in the original animated adaptation of Charlotte's Web.

As they say, celebrity deaths happen in two's and three's, and sometimes even more.

This is number two for the week.

Another beloved icon passes on.

I will always remember him as "that lovable weirdo" who popped up time and again in movies and on television.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 17th, 2009, 6:36 am

Well, death continues to be the nation's number one killer.

And I hate Illinois Nazis.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 17th, 2009, 6:42 am

The rule of three kicks in....!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8260210.stm

Mary Travers of the group Peter, Paul and Mary has passed away of leukemia (cancer). She was 72...

RIP.

They produced some pretty good folk music together in their prime.

I don't mean to make light of this either but it almost always seems to be a truism that deaths occur in 3's...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

R.i.p Mario: Goodbye captain lou Albano

Post by gaastra » October 14th, 2009, 2:38 pm

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=436525&GT1=28103

Captain lou albano who played mario in the super mario super show has passed away. :(

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 14th, 2009, 3:14 pm

76???!??!!??!?!?!?

Wow, didn't know he was that old!

Lived a good life, had some good times, played well in the sandbox with the other rasslers.

Good life overall.

Thanks, Lou!

You provided some nice moments for everyone who crossed your path.

I don't know that he ever did Mario's voice. I think he just played the role in live-action segments for the syndicated Nintendo animated series.

Those segments were goofy to say the least!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Roy Edward Disney has passed away at age 79

Post by estefan » December 16th, 2009, 2:58 pm