Sleeping Beauty: Platinum Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » September 27th, 2008, 11:04 am

There's another one which is kinda funny.
Yeah,it's cute :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 27th, 2008, 3:22 pm

Blu-Ray caps!! Gives you a good idea how the transfer is going to look. Looks beautiful so far. Simply stunning.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » September 27th, 2008, 3:55 pm

Oh my! Wow! Simply stunning!

I don't know if this has been answered before, but, does the Blu-Ray have ALL the bonus features that the DVD has? See, I only have a DVD player but I sort of want to get the Blu-Ray with DVD so that I can have one format now, one for later.

But I want to ensure all the bonus features from the 2-Disc DVD are on the Blu-Ray release so that I don't miss anything!

And is the DVD included with the Blu-Ray the same DVD as in the 2-Disc set, so it's the same aspect ratio and transfer and all?
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2008, 4:08 pm

Neal's a bit of a compulsive, me thinks...

Seriously...is the Blu going to have all that compression going on around the characters? I thought the whole purpose of Blu was to get rid of that kind of thing.

I mean, the backgrounds look great, but put some block coloring on them and the whole thing looks like DVD.

Or is that how they've just had to grab the images? Can't say I'm "blown away"...quite disappointed in fact, thinking about how these images are going to look on my 12' screen...was hoping compression was a thing of the past.

Oh... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » September 27th, 2008, 4:15 pm

You must hate the blu ray. i can't wait to use mine on my 37' 1080p HDTV. I think this is a huge upgrade over DVD. 12'??? That is small.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 27th, 2008, 4:23 pm

tyler283455 - the previously unheard of member of Spinal Tarp. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » September 27th, 2008, 5:14 pm

Well, Ben, don't quite know what you meant or intended by that... but Sleeping Beauty is one of the only three Disney films I do not own / have never owned. And I've never seen it, either. All I've seen are some ads for the original DVD release - and it looked grainy and almost grayscale to me at the time. I thought "wow, compared to Snow White or Cinderella - Sleeping Beauty's animation doesn't look nearly as vibrant or pretty!"

So without ever having seen the VHS, or original DVD - or anything - I have nothing to compare to.

I just saw an ad for the DVD from 2003.

And the ad made it look - not necessarily ugly - but didn't really do much to capture my interest at the time.

These caps, however, have changed my perspective. They look sharp and colorful - a total turnaround from how the 2003 ad looked to me.

So maybe because you've seen the original DVD or VHS (I'm assuming), this Blu-Ray version doesn't do much to impress you as it isn't worlds different from those releases.

But as I basically just saw it for the first time, it looks beautiful to me.
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 27th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Word of caution, on the caps page it loosely says something about the quality, ie, compression - so take with a grain of salt. :)

Our own member Lindsay is getting a review copy soon, hopefully before the official street date, and said she would be doing comparison shots from the previous SE DVD and the Blu version. So hopefully that will help some. Shame she didn't post that here herself, though. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » September 27th, 2008, 11:30 pm

Ben wrote:tyler283455 - the previously unheard of member of Spinal Tarp. ;)
I don't get it. Adults........
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/joris1/ecede288.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 28th, 2008, 12:24 am

The kids today just don't remember those great hits like "Stonehenge"...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 28th, 2008, 12:36 am

OMG, pictures of the Blu-Ray packaging and pics from an actual TV! Well, for starters, I love the packaging. The picture quality looks a little bit better then the early caps, but of course you can't really judge it until you see it 'live', so to speak.

Store exclusives are slowly being leaked, BTW. Nothing great so far, though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by tyler283455 » September 28th, 2008, 10:02 pm

Last edited by tyler283455 on October 29th, 2008, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e314/joris1/ecede288.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » September 28th, 2008, 11:15 pm

No one answered my question yet:

I don't know if this has been answered before, but, does the Blu-Ray have ALL the bonus features that the DVD has? See, I only have a DVD player but I sort of want to get the Blu-Ray with DVD so that I can have one format now, one for later.

But I want to ensure all the bonus features from the 2-Disc DVD are on the Blu-Ray release so that I don't miss anything!

And is the DVD included with the Blu-Ray the same DVD as in the 2-Disc set, so it's the same aspect ratio and transfer and all?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 28th, 2008, 11:50 pm

To answer; yes, the BD does have all the features of the upcoming 2-disc DVD .. last I heard. However, it doesn't port all the bonus features from the previous SE DVD and LD. Yes, the DVD that is coming bundled with the BD is the exact same disc 1 from the DVD set. So you'll be able to enjoy the movie (with the same ratio and transfer - though not in hi-def) and a selection of bonus features until you get a BD player. Hope that helps. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » September 29th, 2008, 8:21 am

Yup, exactly what I was looking for! I'm glad Disney is doing this! I only wish more companies would follow suit!