Manga & Anime THREAD

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2008, 10:22 am

We get Boomerang over here in the UK. Not sure if it's the same type of programming as the US version (I'd be surprised if it wasn't) but we get a LOT of proper, classic Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry and Pink Panther.

Haven't spotted Popeye or Late Night Black & White, though, which sounds cool.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » September 16th, 2008, 8:09 am

I would love to get CN if Skunk Fu and Krypto the Super Dog is still shown.
Last edited by American_dog_2008 on September 18th, 2008, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 16th, 2008, 3:52 pm

Kung Fu Panda isn't a show... yet. ;) Do you mean Skunk Fu? I've heard it's going back to the CW in the fall. As for Krypto, it's still around. Never did care for it beyond the pilot.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 17th, 2008, 5:38 pm

Speaking of Cartoon Network, does anyone know what happened to a show called "Atomic Betty"?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 17th, 2008, 7:08 pm

I'm pretty sure it got the boot from CN. However, new episodes are still currently airing in Canada, where the series originates.

Catchy theme song, and I loved that robot!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 17th, 2008, 10:12 pm

The theme song is AWESOME!!

Pretty cool little series. The scenes on earth aren't especially interesting, but whenever Betty's in space, the show rocks.

So I'm guessing that it wasn't very popular in the US then?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » September 18th, 2008, 3:40 am

I mean Skunk Fu

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 18th, 2008, 12:51 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:So I'm guessing that it wasn't very popular in the US then?
On the contrary, I think it was pretty popular. It's like this, it was around the time of new management that CN execs thought the show had "no audience", hence why they decided to cancel it after a year. Apparently they wanted to distant themselves from "foreign" cartoons and concentrate on homegrown creations.

Seems things have changed, since they now air Total Drama Island, another Canada show. Going by ratings, that show is doing great. Would be cool if Atomic Betty got a second chance in light of it. :)
Wendy's Jane wrote:The theme song is AWESOME!!
Totally!

GeorgeC

Animated Adaptation of FINAL Kurosawa Script in the Works

Post by GeorgeC » September 19th, 2008, 1:23 pm

Director Akira Kurosawa's Final Script Gets Anime Film

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... anime-film

After the recent release of the anime adaptation of Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" (retitled "Samurai 7"), another project based on his final script is going into production as an anime feature.

It's based on Edgar Allan Poe's "The Masque of the Red Death."

Sounds very interesting! Still some years off from being released outside of Japan -- that's if it still makes into production at any rate.

Akira Kurosawa died in 1998 after a stroke. The 100th Anniversary of his birth is coming up very soon.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 19th, 2008, 4:46 pm

Darn, why animation, and not the new big-budget/CGI-FX fantasy, post-"Yokai" Miike Takahashi?

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 20th, 2008, 2:48 am

Animation's cheaper to produce in Japan, that's why. Animation production has practically become a science and it's easier to reason out what the cost of producing an animated feature versus a live-action film.

Also, in spite of globalization, Japanese live-action films are still fairly unknown and generally end up being known to Western audiences only AFTER the remake is done.

A ton of American films are remakes of Japanese films or homages to them:
1) The Ring - Ringu
2) The Magnificent Seven - Seven Samurai
3) The Grudge - Ju-On
4) Kill Bill owes a lot to the Japanese film Lady Snowblood
5) Even Star Wars pays homage to plot elements from Hidden Fortress

Anime's definitely a better-known comodity than most Japanese live-action. It's also generally more expensive to license in the West, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 20th, 2008, 4:38 pm

Uh, that was a rhetorical question, intended to express artistic opinion, George--
Ask a grownup to explain it. :wink:

(As, for example, would be:
"'Set in Tsarist Russia'??...Oh, Akira, this thing had 'Feudal Samurai castle' written all OVER it! It's been forty years since 'Throne of Blood', we wouldn't complain!")

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 20th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Rhetorical is hard to READ online...

If it's spoken, yeah you can tell.

Anyway, it is cheaper to produce animation in Japan and their better science fiction and fantasy films are animated. About the only live-action films that have been popular outside of Japan have been the horror and samurai films. Even then, most people aren't aware of what the remakes in the West were based on.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Totoro Forest Project book is coming!

Post by Gnomeo » September 21st, 2008, 6:03 am

I just wanted to give you the heads up about the much anticipated release of the Totoro Forest Project book, which goes on sale ONLY on totoroforestproject.org tomorrow at 12 pm Pacific Time. The guys there said they have an extremely limited quantity, so if you want this AMAZING book you really need to be there in time! :D

More info here.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 21st, 2008, 10:44 am

Wow, amazing work! I will definitely be checking this out.