The Little Mermaid

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 28th, 2008, 5:27 pm

Yeah, I was also wondering how Marina found the club so easy. One moment she realizes the sister's are missing, next thing you know she's spying on them. Not a huge complaint, though. When Triton finds out and he destroys the place, it's very reminiscent of what he did in the original - another nod no doubt.
Once Upon A Dream wrote:They should have told about Ursula thought
Yes, even it was just a small part. Around the time Ariel is still little.
Once Upon A Dream wrote:I think Marina is very much like Yzma.
And Medusa, like it has been noted. ;) That's why I like her. She has similarities with other Disney villains, but she's all her own; more than I can say for Morgana.

Other issues I had was when Marina did that canon thing towards the end, knocking Ariel uncontentious. I thought it was a bit of a stretch thinking she might be dead. And Triton's voice... I love Jim Cummings, but I didn't like his take much.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 28th, 2008, 9:37 pm

Sorry, but this movie just didn't work for me.

The story didn't make any sense at all, and I thought that Marina Del Ray was an incredibly weak villain.

The only thing that I kinda liked was Benjamin. I have no idea why. I guess I thought that his voice was kinda cute.

But was it just me, or was something wrong with the animation? Ariel's face looked *really* weird sometimes.

So, all and all, I didn't care too much for it, but then I didn't really have high expectations for it anyway.

Just my opinion, of course. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 29th, 2008, 6:55 am

You guys are really going to hate my review, hopefully up for Monday.

I've only watched half and will have to will myself with every fibre in my being to sit down to the other half this weekend.

And the Broadway show? Is it me, or does it look really cheap, nasty and tacky?

Sorry! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 29th, 2008, 8:21 am

Daniel wrote:Yeah, I was also wondering how Marina found the club so easy. One moment she realizes the sister's are missing, next thing you know she's spying on them. Not a huge complaint, though. When Triton finds out and he destroys the place, it's very reminiscent of what he did in the original - another nod no doubt.

-----------

Yes, even it was just a small part. Around the time Ariel is still little.

-----------

And Medusa, like it has been noted. ;) That's why I like her. She has similarities with other Disney villains, but she's all her own; more than I can say for Morgana.

Other issues I had was when Marina did that canon thing towards the end, knocking Ariel uncontentious. I thought it was a bit of a stretch thinking she might be dead. And Triton's voice... I love Jim Cummings, but I didn't like his take much.
Yeah,but they should have explained how she got there.
And Ursula should have at least mentioned.
About Marina-yeah,and she's better then Morgana but she is evil
She unleashed the eels to kill Sebastian to get his job and she also wanted to kill Ariel so she won't tell Triton what Marina did,she was crazy alright,I don't think that,I haven't seen Lady And The Tramp for a long time but I don't think that Aunt Sarah or any villain like her whould do that
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ela » August 29th, 2008, 8:35 am

hey guys i watched this movie today and i started crying when i heard the song wich name is "Athena's song"(not when Athena singing it,when Triton found music box)
i searched for this song about 3 hours but found nothing.
can somone help me to find this song or upload and give me link if u have?
i really want this song its important to me :'(

i found song on youtube but its not the full one,im looking for full one to listen it on ipod,phone etc.

srry for bad english :D

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 29th, 2008, 11:17 am

Ben wrote:You guys are really going to hate my review, hopefully up for Monday.
I can't wait to read it! :D ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 29th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Ditto, but I don't think I'll hate your review. ;) It had it's faults, a lot when you take into account story/animation, but I still think it's an enjoyable film.

Hi ela, welcome! I might be able to help, check your PM. Hope you stick around. :)
Once Upon A Dream wrote:About Marina-yeah,and she's better then Morgana but she is evil
Yep, but like I said not real evil. I just don't feel she measures up to Ursula. When did she want to kill Ariel? I only remember her going for Sebastian and Ariel getting in the way.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 29th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Daniel wrote:
Once Upon A Dream wrote:About Marina-yeah,and she's better then Morgana but she is evil
Yep, but like I said not real evil. I just don't feel she measures up to Ursula. When did she want to kill Ariel? I only remember her going for Sebastian and Ariel getting in the way.
She did wanted to kill her and Sebastian.
She said something she wants to get rid of Ariel,watch that part again,and she also said she"ll get rid of Sebasian,so she actually wanted to kill both of them,not just get them out of her way,and she also said to the eels that she wanted them to eat Sebastian
She's not evil like Maleficent or Ursula but she is evil,like Yzma,Madam Mim,Oogie Boogie and maybe Jafar (Because he only wanted Aladdin,he didn't wanted to kill Jasmine or the Genie but he might be evil like Maleficent).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 29th, 2008, 2:56 pm

Ahh right, now I remember! It's after Marina gets the key from Benjamin and lets out the eels. He mentions what about Ariel and she says what you said, she'll tattle and to get rid of her by making it look like an accident.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 29th, 2008, 4:30 pm

See? she did wanted to kill them.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » August 31st, 2008, 7:29 am

It will be so easy for people to drag out the old arguments when they review this feature of it not living up to the ‘artistry’ of the original, that there are story weaknesses and the original shouldn’t have been revisited unless done to perfection. :roll: People will probably compare the music not created by the same composers, the animation created not by the same animators and the direction not by the same Director to the original and point out the obvious – that this isn’t as good as the original; is an inferior piece. Of course it is! Disney and the whole team working on it will know that they’ll never match the original – I don’t think they’re trying to. Ariel’s Beginning is clearly more than a money-making venture, the female villain Marina has clearly so much time and characterisation gone into her and returning voice cast do well to keep a sense of vocal continuity.

There are some beautifully animated sequences which look gorgeous on screen and some well written dialogue and ideas. I say ‘some’ not all. The feature is just an attempt to add to the original’s legacy. The story, like Bambi II, looks at loss of a mother figure to a family. The psychological treatment of Triton’s reaction and the deep-rooted importance of her mother on Ariel (her song always being there in her sub-conscious) shows how early children bond with their parents.

Is there anything wrong with a sequel which doesn’t ever attempt to be its original but has a story to tell? Should we never invent new tales for new generations because the old ones we have can’t be bettered? Some would have imagination shelved in shrinkwrap but Ariel’s Beginning is a cracked mirror which still reflects an image.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 31st, 2008, 1:15 pm

JustinWilliams wrote:Ariel’s Beginning is clearly more than a money-making venture
No, it isn't. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » August 31st, 2008, 1:18 pm

Sorry, I'm confused. You feel they're only interested in making money with this? Please explain...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 31st, 2008, 1:48 pm

I'm actually surprised its not me who said what Justin did. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 31st, 2008, 2:38 pm

If it was a complete mystery why they made (or used to make) video sequels, then we could ponder rubric theories about what they were artistically trying to accomplish with them--

...But it isn't. We know why. And bzzt, sorry, thank you for playing.

A)The first sequels (including the spinoff TV series pilots for Ariel and Aladdin) came out of retroactively avenging 90's Eisner's desire to stamp New-Disney ownership on their inherited intellectual property by putting out a homegrown sequel to previous work, even though they still didn't know how to follow up on Happily-ever-after (which explains why they originally thought they were limited to Fantasia, Rescuers and Mary Poppins).
B) The next sequels came out of fear that they would have to "update" copyrights on their soon-to-expire characters from the 30's and 40's, lest Dumbo, Peter Pan and Bambi follow the path of Steamboat Willie.
C) After the legislation was changed, Bambi II came out in tandem with the original that few kids still remembered, and it was noted that since parents would buy any new direct-video sequel anyway, why not use them to retroactively "advertise" the original forgotten back-catalog titles, like Fox & the Hound and Aristocats?

And, more to the point,
D) Now that they had an entire studio devoted to video sequels, maybe it was time to go back, clean up, and "apologize" for some of those rough-sketch early sequels that hadn't played well with parents, namely Cinderella and LM II's--Particularly with the larger studio mentality that any franchise whose II is a "franchise killer", and who can't still wow 'em with a do-over III, is a "loser" franchise, and peer-pressure just wno't allow that.

But...y'know...maybe it could be the other reason, too. :roll: