The Little Mermaid

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 3rd, 2008, 5:25 pm

I caught about three minutes of AB at the Comic-Con premiere last Sunday and it's just as is expected...pretty flat and lazy animation, on par with the second.

I didn't have the time or the inclination to stay for the whole thing, but we're reviewing the disc though, so we'll see what it pans out like then... :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 3rd, 2008, 5:42 pm

My daughter saw this at Comic-Con, and even she (who's almost seven years old) thought it was just so-so. So, even the target audience wasn't impressed in this case.

(But she loved the new Spongebobs that preceded the LMIII presentation. :) )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 3rd, 2008, 7:10 pm

Wow, that's not good. :( Let me just say I am still looking forward to this, but am prepared for the worst.

Here's a disappointing spoiler:
Marina, the new villain, is NOT Ursula.

Seriously, what was the point of having so many similarities!?
Lazy animation yes, but that's not the only thing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » August 3rd, 2008, 7:33 pm

That's silly
It would've made SO much more sense for Ursula to be in this film, as it could explain the background behind her motives (which were vaguely mentioned in the first film). Good move, Disney :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 3rd, 2008, 9:46 pm

Exactly! There was so much potential and Disney just threw it out the window. :(
Marina doesn't even seem that evil. From what I gather, she just wants Sebastian's job.

Here's an official clip that's been around for awhile showcasing Marina and her singing voice. Going back to what I said earlier about similarities, don't some of her gestures remind you Ursula? And Flounder seems a little too hyper. He's younger, yes, but in the TV series he wasn't like that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 4th, 2008, 6:01 am

Is Marina a new character? So, she's not tied in any way to the sister villain character in the second one?

This feels disjointed and confused! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 4th, 2008, 1:03 pm

Nope, she's an entirely new character.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning

Post by Dusterian » August 9th, 2008, 2:17 pm

Yea, actually Dan, and Ben, all you've been saying is what we at Ultimate Disney have been saying! Marina should have some connection with Ursula, we even hoped it was her in disguise or before she became the full-on evil octopus, trying to overtake Atlantica, but no, she's just the mermad princesses' nanny trying to become advisor to the king. She goes a little crazy later on with her electric eels, but it's still lame compared to Ursula or Morganna. That's another weird thing. She looks so much like Ursula and then has eel pets do her bidding. Yea.

I'm kind of glad this animation (and story) is crappier than Cinderella III's, it shows Cinderella III is the best Disney animated classic sequel ever and that all the work those people put into it still reigns supreme. However, some people think the animation is as good (and I think I saw one or two comments saying better than...!) as CIII's. That bothers me to no end. What an insult to DisneyToon's Australia!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 9th, 2008, 10:58 pm

It would've made SO much more sense for Ursula to be in this film, as it could explain the background behind her motives (which were vaguely mentioned in the first film). Good move, Disney Rolling Eyes
Yeah, when I watched the LM commentary, the directors both said that the original backstory for Ursela was that she was Triton's sister who turned against him....in a deleted scene they showed Ariel saying something like : "You tried to destroy my father!" or something like that, because she wanted his power/sceptor. (which was why she was exiled)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning

Post by Ben » August 10th, 2008, 7:56 am

Dusterian wrote:Yea, actually Dan, and Ben, all you've been saying is what we at Ultimate Disney have been saying!
I wouldn't say that's "all" we've been saying. And it's a generally considered point because those conclusions were reached independently of reading any other forum and I've also heard it elsewhere.

A shame that DisneyToon will be going out on this as opposed to something more original, but then I guess we do have an eternity of fairy movies to look forward too...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 15th, 2008, 11:48 am

ShyViolet-It's actually "You tried to overthrow my father".
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 15th, 2008, 3:16 pm

I've been seeing some commercials for this recently. One starts off by showing clips from the original then saying go back before or something. It's nice, but it really shows off how poor the animation is compared to the original.

Just a couple of more weeks! Oh, and confirmation: LMII will be getting the Special Edition treatment.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » August 16th, 2008, 1:10 am

My thoughts exactly Daniel! It's kinda stupid of them to show clips from both films right next to each other, as it only reflects the poor quality of the new one (you don't have to be an animation geek to notice it :P )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 16th, 2008, 11:34 am

Daniel wrote:Oh, and confirmation: LMII will be getting the Special Edition treatment.
Yay! A new game! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 17th, 2008, 6:19 am

Ben wrote:
Daniel wrote:Oh, and confirmation: LMII will be getting the Special Edition treatment.
Yay! A new game! :)
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]