Movies of 2008

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 22nd, 2008, 3:15 pm

I did. Very much so. It reminded me of fantasy films like "Labyrinth" and "The Dark Crystal" for some reason.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 22nd, 2008, 3:54 pm

Yeah, kind of like those films combined with MIB. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 22nd, 2008, 11:54 pm

Exactly, and I think that's what Del Toro was going for. It's an odd combo, but it works beautifully. It seems as though they're intending to stop at two and that's okay. Bill and Ted stopped at two, so there's no shame in that.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 1st, 2008, 11:07 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 2nd, 2008, 12:43 am

This is one of those movies that's likely to be critic-proof. Odds are, the fans will like it regardless of what anyone else says. I'm a fan and it looks like a fun movie to me. I'll have to see if I can find the time for it, though. I'm still waiting to see X-Files first.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 2nd, 2008, 1:43 pm

Just by seeing the previews, it seems they're taking the story in a completely new direction, which just screams desperation. I liked the original, and thought the se/prequels were ok, but this looks unneeded and trivial.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 3rd, 2008, 12:41 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2008, 5:58 am

Official warning on The Mummy:

Don't go see this drivel. It's competently made, but sheer committee sequel formula filmmaking.

They have things happen just because it should be "cool" but they actually make no sense! "Oh, if the Emperor drinks this, he'll be immortal", "if he manages to do this he will be able to turn into a thousand different forms more terrifying than you could possibly imagine", etc...

And he's the <I>Dragon</I> Emperor, right? So he inexplicably picks up the power to turn into a three-headed dragon, <I>for no reason</I>.

I know James is a bit of a Brendan Fraser fan, and I'd count myself in there too which is why I went to see this last night, but seriously, there was ONE "great" line in it...and that was it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 12th, 2008, 11:09 am

I kind of disagree with that. Is it a great movie? No. Is it entertaining? Yes. I wasn't expecting Shakespeare, all I wanted was a decent adventure story and I feel that that's what they delivered. I would rank it 3 1/2 stars out of 5 (compared to 4 1/2 for the first one and 4 for the second), mainly due to the weak dialogue. I'd expect the next one to go straight to video, though (if there even is a next one).

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 15th, 2008, 12:59 pm

No, no, no, no, NO!!! They CAN'T be doing this:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=48001

And I'm sure that it's just a complete coincidence that WB is now releasing it on the same weekend that they put out TDK this year. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 15th, 2008, 5:32 pm

All I can say is, they'd better make it worth the extra wait.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » August 16th, 2008, 11:39 am

Go see Tropic Thunder. It's hysterical. Especially look out for a certain cameo you wouldn't have even expected. RDJ does amazing in his role as the black guy, and has some of the best lines.

also
I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHER FUCKER

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 16th, 2008, 11:40 am

eddievalient wrote:Is it a great movie? No. Is it entertaining?
Not really. ;)

I went in really not expecting much at all, which is usually the cue for me to come out thinking I had an excellent time.

This was entertaining to degree, but only if you're a teenage-minded kid at heart who just likes loud bangs, flashy visuals and CG-heavy fights, as that's all this is.

Oh...and a marketing committee created baddie who can do "cool" things just so that people come out saying the movie was "entertaining"...

BTW, looks like Mummy 4 is on the way as a theatrical...

The Harry Potter switch isn't much of a surprise either. Unofficially, from what I understand, they want to run the last three films at six-month intervals: Summer 09, Christmas 09, Summer 10 and then the big box set bonanza at that Christmas.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 22nd, 2008, 8:16 am

Hancock was a bad movie.
When I saw the trailer I thought it will be funny and different and it turned out to be boring and silly.
(Spoilers):
Boring plot and Hancock meets some random person who try to make him better was dumb IMO (Thought he wasn't that random),nothing about Hancock's origins,there was no villain (That bank rober robber wasn't a real villain,I thought that his exwife will be the villain but she wasn't) and his costume reminds me of the film version of the X-Men.
Bad movie.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » August 22nd, 2008, 10:35 am

I think you mean awesome movie.

Hancock was awesome.