The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 19th, 2007, 11:58 pm

... and now I just got an e-mail; saying that they all shipped!

And so ends my saga. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 20th, 2007, 3:45 am

Good to hear, hopefully you'll get it in time for Christmas.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 20th, 2007, 4:58 am

Left hand, right hand... ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 27th, 2007, 8:00 am

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that Amazon.com is having a 'Buy one TV DVD, Get One Free' sale. The animation-related titles in the sale include: The Boondocks: The Complete First Season, Creature Comforts America - The Complete Season One, The Critic - The Complete Series, Dilbert - The Complete Series, Spider-Man - The New Animated Series (all volumes) and The Tick - The Entire Series.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 27th, 2007, 1:13 pm

I've been itching to go HD and it looks like prices are coming down to a reasonable level. The other day at walmart I saw an HD-DVD player (I think it was Toshiba) for $200. The joke's on me though cause even if I can afford the player, I can't afford the hdtv to go with it. Prices on those are still kind of rediculous (I won't pay $300 for a screen no bigger than the one I've got now). What's a budget-conscious cinephile to do?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 27th, 2007, 1:54 pm

Prices are coming way down on those HDTV's now. You can get a 32-42 inch TV for less than $1000 - sometimes well less. And even if it is the same size as what you have now, the resolution is definitely not as good on an older analog TV.

Something you don't hear much about is that even if you just get the HDTV and no HD source like HD cable or HD video disc, you can still get HD for free over the air with an old pair of rabbit ears! Almost all the network prime-time programming (minus most reality shows) in now in HD and available at no cost if you can pick up your local signal with an antenna.

If you do opt for an HD video format be sure to do a little research. I'm not going to tell anyone whether to pick HD-DVD or Blu-ray. But even a simple perusal over my article about what came out this year in HD animation should give you an indication of which format has the most titles available.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » December 28th, 2007, 11:34 pm

On a sort of related note, when is it that all Analog signal is supposed to be stopped and only HD will be received. I remember years ago hearing it was supposed to be 2006 but that isn't true is it.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 28th, 2007, 11:58 pm

Congress has pushed back the date several times. The new date is February 2009. That is when the 50+ year old analog signals will be shut down and replaced with digital tv signals. Note that digital does not necessarily mean HD. I'm willing to bet a lot of shows will still be 480 and 4:3 after the change - just 480p rather than 480i.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 16th, 2008, 11:16 am

WOW!

Just got the Blade Runner set come through (well, it came yesterday morning but only just looked at it this afternoon)...wowsers!

Apart from the cool "I, Robot" head that I couldn't resist a couple of years back, this is quite possibly the best DVD presentation I've yet seen.

"It looks like a toy", my lady Jen said, to which I replied, "That's <I>exactly</I> what it is!" :)

The whole thing SCREAMS class (in mass-produced DVD terms), with some intricately cut foam padding holding the physical extras and the DVD case really subtle though embossed and nice 'n' heavy feeling. The case is really good quality, and though it does feel toy-like, it's an adult toy that we can all have fun with!

Very, very cool...

I'm looking forward to digging into the extras first and then seeing the new cuts. I'm actually glad I went for the standard-def because then I can just upgrade to the Blu-Ray for much cheaper and get the alternative packaging. I'll likely spring for the 5-disc BR, but if the alternate cuts don't impress me too much I may just go for the two-disc.

But, man, this is one smokin' set! :) :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 16th, 2008, 10:00 pm

Blade Runner on Blu-ray only comes in the 5-disc config, actually. The only option is briefcase or no briefcase.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 17th, 2008, 2:37 pm

Well that made my mind up for me then! Still good that I get the alternate artwork, and then that will be the one I use of the shelf so it'll save pulling the case around too much.

Going to delve into Dangerous Days tonight. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » May 17th, 2008, 5:54 am

Enchanted.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 18th, 2008, 1:28 am

Kind of redundant, no? ;)

Hmm, I haven't bought any DVD's in a while. My last purchase was Chicken Little on Blu-ray. Darn those video games! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » May 18th, 2008, 8:27 am

Hmm,what do you mean? :).
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 18th, 2008, 2:37 pm

That you posted you got Enchanted twice, here and in the "Enchanted" thread. It was a joke, hence the wink. :)

I'm glad you got it, though!