Movies of 2008

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 7th, 2008, 8:48 pm

Okay, so it wasn't Chris Reeve that they were spoofing there so much as Stephen Hawking.

That doesn't make the "Jokes" any less tasteless, though.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 8th, 2008, 2:43 am

Indeed, and that's exactly the problem. With very few exceptions, almost EVERY mainstream comedy these days is loaded with this kind of "humor". It makes me sick to think that even ten or twelve years ago we had films like "Men in Black", "Evolution", or "Galaxy Quest" (yes, I'm a scifi fan) that were truly funny but also had heart. What have we had this decade? Scary Movie 19? American Pie 27? Harold and Kumar Go Quantity Surveying? I wish these so called "writers" would be slapped upside the head and forced to take even a basic Screenwriting 101 class so they could learn how to actually write a movie instead of churning out plots that seemingly were taken from drawing random ideas out of a hat. It's disgusting! Okay. Rant over.

Oh, and to head off the inevitable "you think you could do better?", I don't know, I've never tried but I bet I could. I've certainly seen enough films in all my classes to know how a good story is made and looking at these "comedies", that ain't it.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 29th, 2008, 9:07 pm

For those interested, Micheal Giacchino's Cloverfield theme "Roar!" is now available for purchase on Itunes.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 1st, 2008, 11:05 am

I loved "Roar!". I may go ahead and purchase it sometime.

Anyway, here's the new "Incredible Hulk" trailer:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HSH3xtygvbA

:D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 5th, 2008, 9:52 am

Indeed, and that's exactly the problem. With very few exceptions, almost EVERY mainstream comedy these days is loaded with this kind of "humor". It makes me sick to think that even ten or twelve years ago we had films like "Men in Black", "Evolution", or "Galaxy Quest" (yes, I'm a scifi fan) that were truly funny but also had heart. What have we had this decade? Scary Movie 19? American Pie 27? Harold and Kumar Go Quantity Surveying? I wish these so called "writers" would be slapped upside the head and forced to take even a basic Screenwriting 101 class so they could learn how to actually write a movie instead of churning out plots that seemingly were taken from drawing random ideas out of a hat. It's disgusting! Okay. Rant over.

Very true eddie, and well said. :)

(I love Galaxy Quest too! :wink:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 5th, 2008, 9:22 pm

You might get a kick out of this, then -

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=155352

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 5th, 2008, 10:13 pm

Thanks Meg! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 6th, 2008, 8:13 am

Looks fun!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 7th, 2008, 12:16 pm

"Iron Man" is SO FREAKING GOOD!!!

Seriously, if you enjoy superhero movies as much as I do, I'd say that this film is a must-see. It's an AWESOME film!!! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 7th, 2008, 12:46 pm

Iron Man is pretty effin' amazing, and probably the best superhero movie. That and Batman Begins (until Dark Knight comes out).

I was very happy with it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 7th, 2008, 12:56 pm

I'll be seeing it this Friday if all goes according to plan. Can't wait! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 9th, 2008, 10:34 pm

I just got back from Iron Man...It was excellent! Definitely one of my favorite super hero movies. Oh, and make sure you stay after the credits! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » May 9th, 2008, 10:44 pm

That after the credits bit is even more awesome if you read the ultimates

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 9th, 2008, 11:14 pm

Thanks fer the heads up. I'm seeing this tomorrow. ^__^

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 10th, 2008, 9:50 pm

I haven't forgotten about this place. The last couple weeks I've been getting everything ready to graduate from college (I am now officially an alumni of WCU. Yay!).

At the risk of overhyping it, I have to tell you guys, you need to see Speed Racer. I saw it yesterday and was completely blown away. In all my film studies classes there was a lot of discussion about the language of cinema. Speed Racer has invented an entirely new language. The W Brothers do things with editing and visual effects that would have been unheard of even five years ago. Don't believe the negative press on this one. All they see is incoherency (which, admittedly, there is a small amount of) and they don't understand that this film is nothing short of a revolution. The only fitting analogy I can think of is Star Wars. When that film was released in 1977, it changed the way movies were made and the industry was never the same afterwards. I'm going to predict that Speed Racer will do the same. See it on the big screen if you can. It's an amazing experience.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83