Movies of 2008

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » January 29th, 2008, 7:35 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:"Superhero!" is this year?!?! I thought they had pushed it back. I definately want to see it.
The release date surprised me too. Apparently, Superhero! will hit theaters on March 28. It seems odd that a poster or trailer for the film isn't out yet. However, word is that the trailer will arrive next week.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 29th, 2008, 9:25 pm

I hope so, I'm interested in Superhero! too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 31st, 2008, 3:52 pm

OMG, they showed the monster from Cloverfield on new commercials! :( It's like the ones they've been showing, only after the girl screams "What is that?" you see a foot and then it comes out and roars.

From the brief glimpse, it doesn't look anything like I pictured it. I'm still looking forward it, though!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 31st, 2008, 4:16 pm

Don't worry, even after seeing the shot you're talking about you'll still have a bit of trouble figuring out what exactly it looked like...Heck, I still can't perfectly describe it, and Ive seen the movie twice!

(Ditto about Superhero!, by the way. I've gotten pretty excited about it ever since read a very positive review of it.)

EDIT: Woop, speak of the devil! Here's a trailer for Superhero!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SEVcpak ... p?id=41516

Apparently it's been renamed "Superhero Movie", a rather lame imitation of the Scary Movie brand stuff.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 31st, 2008, 5:19 pm

It looks like it could either be very, very funny or pretty darn lame. But some of the jokes in that trailer are hysterical!

And I like how its going to have a "Spider-Man" focus. :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 31st, 2008, 7:32 pm

I agree, some of the gags got a chuckle out of me...While others seemed to have been recycled from Meet The Spartans.

We'll see how it turns out.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 1st, 2008, 7:20 am

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by The Weinstein Company"

...anyone know of a mirror?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 7th, 2008, 4:43 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 7th, 2008, 7:45 pm

Eh... I got a few laughs, but some of the material felt lifted from Spartans, (like Meg said earlier) and other flicks that I can't put my finger on.

I don't know, the whole spoofing thing is getting old.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 8th, 2008, 7:59 am

Meet The Spartans totally passed me by. Was it any good? I don't think it's been issued in the UK yet, but I've not seen any promo for it.

Shame they're spoofing the <I>Batman And Robin</I> typeface for their logo - that was already pretty much a spoof in itself.

And superheroes have already been done - in an albeit much more subtle though no less hilarious way - with the brilliant <I>Mystery Men</I>. I certainly recommend that for being very funny and yet done on a huge scale.

This is obviously the "obvious" spoof - basically not coming up with their OWN story, and essentially using other people's scenes and just doing to them what we're all thinking would be funny when we saw those movies.

At one point, the Zuckers looked like they might break out of this cycle and make some decent <I>original</I> comedies. While I'll admit to finding a couple of things funny here, a lot of it <I>was</I> obvious, too easily drawn from other films, and actually quite outdated already.

And...wow...that's quite a stomach their ol' go-to guy Leslie Neilsen is sporting these days, huh?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 8th, 2008, 10:52 am

I haven't seen "Meet the Spartans". And I won't.

Quite seriously, it just looked bad.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 8th, 2008, 11:19 am

What's Meet the Spartans? i know it's like Scary Movie,Date Movie and Epic Movie but movies it's making fun of?.
Last edited by Once Upon A Dream on February 8th, 2008, 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 8th, 2008, 11:58 am

:roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 8th, 2008, 1:02 pm

Is it hard to explain? :?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 9th, 2008, 3:47 am

I have to say, this looks absolutely awful. :? I didn't laugh once during that trailer--other than, like Ben said, seeing Leslie Nielson AGAIN at the end of it for the billionth time in a spoof movie! :P

As someone who watched Epic Movie and actually found parts of it quite witty (while totally cringing at others :roll: :roll:) I am very let down by this. :( Maybe it's better than it seems....but if all they're doing is copying Spider-Man and calling it "Dragon-Fly man" while intermittently showing people getting hit on the head....WHAT is the point of that??

One great way to parody Spider-Man would be to, say, as Rod Hilton did in the Editing Room script, make fun of the actual PLOT DEVICES, not just replace them with "silly" stuff, like "Oh, I won't ask my aunt and uncle for help....I'll just lie here until I get super powers," etc.....etc..... :P Or have Willem Dafoe go: "Hey, why did Tobey get muscles while I still look exactly the same?" :) (as Rod Hilton did)

EDIT: Also, i thought (from the IMDB description) that they were going to be putting in some Batman Begins and Superman Returns stuff in too. Is it really going to be ALL Spider-Man? If so, that's just another disappointment. (Although not that surprising considering that Scary Movie 3 was almost ALL a spoof of The Ring.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!