The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 14th, 2007, 8:56 pm

Some people who have both the R2 Flash Gordon and last week's new R1 release are saying that the new R1 release has a better video transfer.

I really don't know if the new R1 video IS better since I don't own the R2 DVD, but it's certainly a better release than the 1998 R1 Flash Gordon DVD. What is beyond dispute is that the R2 French release has far superior extras on it. Why these weren't transferred to the new R1 edition (money? rights issues?) is beyond me.

Maybe we'll see better extras on a definitive Flash Gordon (1980) Blu-Ray release?

DVDs I got today --
Tekkaman Blade Volume 3 (finished off all 49 episodes of the series at a low price!) and Air TV Volume # 1.

Thank god Looney Tunes Golden Collection 5 doesn't hit shelves until October! My wallet has suffered enough cash shrinkage lately between Popeye and Woody Woodpecker!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 15th, 2007, 1:34 am

I managed to get the complete Space: 1999 17-DVD boxed 'megaset' from Barnes & Noble for just US$54, thanks to a 'perfect storm' combination of a DVD sale, my B&N membership discount, and a member-issued savings coupon. 8)

It's gonna take me at least until Looney Tunes: Golden Collection Volume 5 comes out for me to get through the whole Space: 1999 series .. though, I may only 'skim' through the 'season 2' episodes .. :roll:

Kind of weird to be (re)watching a 'futuristic' series whose events take place 8 years in the past .. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 19th, 2007, 10:37 am

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 21st, 2007, 1:13 pm

I just watched the 2-disc Special Edition of Terminator 2! :)

Much more importantly, :P hope it's OK to tell this but did anyone here know that Spaz appears quite a few times on the making of documentary!? :) :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 22nd, 2007, 10:08 am

Yesterday's buys?

Top Cat: The Full Series with 30%-off coupon at Borders and RoboCop: 20th Anniversary 2-disc tin at Best Buy.

Lot and lots of great stuff coming out these past weeks. Besides obvious animated classics like Woody and Popeye, Labyrinth, The Dark Crystal, Flash Gordon, and RoboCop have all gotten deluxe or two-disc re-releases that are the definitive must-own editions of these films on DVD.

Now, I can't afford all of these now, but some of these films may end up on my Christmas list! :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 22nd, 2007, 12:23 pm

I am embarrassed at the amount of discs I have been buying lately. I have everything apart from Flash in George's list above, plus a ton more - plus the discs that come in for review here.

I am seriously starting to run out of space! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » August 23rd, 2007, 1:59 am

Then could you give us a number? How many discs does your vast collection count approxamitely?
Last edited by Jeroen on August 23rd, 2007, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 23rd, 2007, 3:04 am

Curiosity killed the cat! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » August 23rd, 2007, 6:23 am

Yes, but I am no cat my friend. :wink:

No seriously, I always love seeing pictures of these massive DVD collections online.
Some of them are truly amazing, these for example:
http://www.hypothermia.us/dvd_collection.jpg
http://twowiresthin.com/dvd/storage/index.html

I only have a modest collection of 507 DVDs myself.

And who doesn't envy those with money to make these amazing Home Theatres
Like the Star Wars Home Theater
http://www.dillonworks.com/portfolio/starwarstheater/
Or the Batcave
http://uk.gizmodo.com/batcave.jpg

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 23rd, 2007, 7:28 am

Wow...yes, I'd say those collections were roughly what I have...maybe I have a few more. I know Rand has a house full too!

Those HTs are AWESOME! At the moment, we share the living room with the theater (our far wall is clear for the pulldown screen) but we were looking at moving a couple of years ago (that fell through) and one of the things we would have done was to have a separate HT room. After seeing that Death Star and Batcave ideas, I'll have to step up my search for a new house!!

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 23rd, 2007, 9:34 am

Oh yeah? Well I have 36...About ten or so of which we never watch...NYA.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 23rd, 2007, 11:23 pm

Ben wrote:Wow...yes, I'd say those collections were roughly what I have...maybe I have a few more. I know Rand has a house full too!

Not a housefull.... just the basement. ;)

Actually, I have probably close to 700 DVDs, plus 30 HD-DVDs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » August 24th, 2007, 4:37 am

I hadn't bothered to count, for the past several years .. but the last couple of posts encouraged me to finally take an inventory. Here's the results:

1,620 --- DVDs :shock:
485 --- Laserdiscs
16 --- VHS
3 --- Blu-Ray discs

Some random notes:

In counting 'discs', when it came to boxed sets and 'multi-disc' editions, I decided to literally tally each individual disc .. so, a boxed set of The Simpsons: Season 10 was counted as 4 discs, for example.

------------------

Roughly 1/3 of my DVD's have been re-packaged in 'thin-pak' cases; otherwise, I would have run out of shelf space ages ago! I'm s-l-o-w-l-y working my way through re-packaging the rest; it's been an 'on-again/off-again' weekend project for the past couple of years.

------------------

Only 12 of the DVDs are 'screeners' acquired via my ASIFA-Hollywood membership; the rest were all bought at 'retail' (over the course of the past 8 years)..! Though I am always on the lookout for 'good deals' and 'discounts', it doesn't matter much .. because all of them are tax-deductible (one of the major 'perks' of working in the animation/VFX industry); they are claimed (and used!) as 'work-related reference material'. 8)

------------------

Yes, the collection above is insured! No, I won't say for how much. :P

-------------------

While I don't have much time to watch anything while I'm working (most work weeks are 60-70 hours), I catch up quickly when I'm 'between' gigs .. since it can be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months before the next job comes up. ATM, I'd say there's only about 100 of these discs which I haven't watched yet.

------------------

This is literally not even the 'half' of it .. my book library takes up almost three times as much space .. :oops:

/no way am I counting all those

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » August 24th, 2007, 6:55 am

Damn Droosan....damn

So yeah....where do you live? Does your house have an alarm installed? Single or double glass?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 24th, 2007, 9:32 am

Geeze, forget Blockbuster, can I come over to your house whenever I need to borrow a movie, Droo? :P