The Simpsons Movie

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 17th, 2007, 1:27 am

I actually watched 24 minutes as well well and while I thought it copied 24 well and did some interesting things with it...not so great. (Sorry, Dan. :( )

The biggest problem with that ep (as well as other IMG eps) is that it just didn't feel like the Simpsons.:?

It felt more like an attempt to be "clever" and copy that format but not actually utilize the characters we know and love in a meaningful way.

(I actually did like some IMG eps like "Simpsons vs. City of New York" and "Burns, Baby, Burns"--the one with Rodney Dangerfield. But it felt like many of his later ones had a deep, off-putting cynacism to them. I'm pretty sure that many of his are the now-infamous and ubiquitous "jerka** Homer" eps as well. :? If you look at Season 9 and 10, he pretty much started that trend. )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 17th, 2007, 2:48 am

No apologies needed.

I completly disagree, though. I know it wasn't the usual Simpsons we know and love, but that was the point. The whole "character stretches", was done so it could fit the context of the parody.

Seeing this the way you suggested, would've really made this episode, just that, a regular episode. It was daring, had tons of jokes, and most of all, bended the storytelling to make a great, one of a kind episode. IMO, they suceeded.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 17th, 2007, 2:55 pm

Having never seen an episode of 24, the Simpsons parody of the show had little impact on me; it took me a while to realize that it was a parody of something (the promos for 24 during the commercial breaks were the 'giveaway' for me). The entire episode seemed like the sort of thing Family Guy is notorious for; 'referencing' something for the sake of referencing it, intending to get a laugh simply from the fact that the viewer 'gets' the reference (which 'backfires' when, as in my case, the viewer has not seen the show being 'referenced').

I much preferred the 'Kent Brockman' episode which immediately followed; it felt more like a good old Simpsons show. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 17th, 2007, 5:11 pm

I've never seen an episode of 24 and I loved this episode. It even had a classic era feel to it.

The episode isn't really comparable to Family Guy, either. Indeed it was a reference, but Family Guy has never really done an episode that's centered around on one parody, because they always throw random jokes out every five minutes.

24 Minutes is like Behind the Laughter, and to a certain extant The Springfield Files, Trilogy of Error, and Seemingly Never-Ending Story.

It was just a great cross-over episode.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 20th, 2007, 3:57 am

Really weird, long, quirky profile of Matt Greoning in an LA Weekly cover story.

(Warning: some language. This is the LA Weekly, after all. :wink: :roll:)

(It also plays him up as this "modest" "low-key" kind of guy. Uh-huh..:wink: :roll:)

http://www.laweekly.com/general/feature ... 27/?page=1

I also love the pic it has on the last page: :)

Also more publicity! :) (from same article)

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 21st, 2007, 12:42 am

Here's some more pics of Kwik-E-Mart promotions from "Sharvonique's" animation blog:

http://sharvonique.animationblogspot.co ... t-part-ii/

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » July 21st, 2007, 5:14 am

A 6 minute clip showcasing the final movie trailer as well as all the available clips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeH0oRECsoo

The Moe + The "I dare you" scenes are hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh6RwWQaehE
Clap for Alaska scene

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 21st, 2007, 10:15 pm

EW cover story!! (Have you guys seen the alternate covers? I got the Lisa one! :D )

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2003528 ... 30,00.html

(via TAG blog)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 22nd, 2007, 12:43 am

Funny, mostly everything I was gonna post, has already been posted. Thanks for the updates guys, while I was...erm...away. ;)

Regarding the EW covers, I got Marge with Maggie! So cool! Espicially loved the inside pic, and the nice lengthy article.

Here's a pic of all 4 covers:

Jeroen wrote:The Moe + The "I dare you" scenes are hilarious
Indeed it was!

Also, FYI, Fox is going to be airing a 2 hour marathon of the Simpsons tomorrow,
if anyone is interested. They're showing some of the seasons best, in my opinion.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 22nd, 2007, 1:12 am

Also, FYI, Fox is going to be airing a 2 hour marathon of the Simpsons tomorrow,
if anyone is interested. They're showing some of the seasons best, in my opinion.

AHHH!!! AWESOME!!! :) Do you happen to know what time it starts?

Also, thanks for putting up the 4 covers pic! :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 22nd, 2007, 2:14 am

Do'h, I meant to say "this seasons best". Sorry, Vi. :(

Its at 8:00pm, if your still interested.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 22nd, 2007, 4:37 am

No, I am. Thanks Dan! :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 22nd, 2007, 4:05 pm

Sure..... ;)

Let me know what you think, if you do catch them!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 23rd, 2007, 1:49 am

I saw the Homer & Co. become "volunteer" firemen one. I liked it! :)

By the way, here's the first Simpsons review! Four out of five stars!! :D Yay!
(thanks to Cartoon Brew)

(Warning: Spoilers)

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 118613.ece

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 23rd, 2007, 2:13 am

Review of Hans Zimmer's soundtrack:

http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=239

(Warning: Even more spoilers)