What Would You Change?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

What Would You Change?

Post by Roberta E. Norman » June 11th, 2007, 2:37 am

What would you change about an animated movie you've seen???

I would have changed the very end of Monester Inc. When Sulley opened the door and Boo said, "Kitty?" it should have been an older voice, like of a teenager or adult. That would have brought tears to my eyes if it had been years since they'd last seen each other, not a month or two.
Life tastes like happy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 11th, 2007, 3:21 am

Wow, I would've never thought of that. Good one! Dunno if I agree, but its certanly an interesting idea.

As for what I would change in an animted film, I'm gonna have to think about it! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 11th, 2007, 9:06 am

Good one!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 11th, 2007, 1:28 pm

Great topic! :)

Mulan: darker, more serious, more epic-like, basically like Pocahontas but in China.

Hercules: This film was pretty much perfect, the only thing I'd take out is the "blues chorus", SO out of place. I didn't mind the songs Herc, Meg and Phil sung though.

Hunchback of Notre Dame: Darker, more serious, maybe leave in the Gargoyles but lessen their screen time. Make Frollo's acts of malice more intense. (like have Quasi really get beaten like in the film/book.)

Sinbad: Make Proteus evil or at least flawed like in the original version, put back the whole "Sinbad vs. Proteus" theme, basically Prince of Egypt on the ocean. :) Have anyone but Brad Pitt voice Sinbad. :? :roll:
Eris also needs more of a backstory, more of a purpose, and more malice.

Prince of Egypt: For starters, add at least 30-40 minutes to cover Moses' growing up in the palace coupled with some actual time in the desert, the Hebrews losing faith, the Golden Calf, the, um, Ten Commandments? :? Plus there absolutely has to be a real scene with Moses on mount Sinai, and not just as a "postscript" right before the credits roll. :? :roll:

The Incredibles: Mostly a perfect film, sans the finale, which seriously needed the BANG to end this film with, not a whimper, the way it did end. More action, more peril, particularly on the island.

Road to El Dorado: Like with Sinbad, I would go back to the darker material this film started out with. (I'm not sure but I read somewhere that there were like, literally, 8000 pages of rewrites going on! :) )

Oliver and Company: I'm a hard-core O & C fan, but the only thing I'd take out is that unnecessary song Dodger and the gang sing right before Oliver accidentally stows away in Jenny's limo. I don't know if anyone remembers it? Also, some of the jokes were a little tedious.

The Little Mermaid: This is a great film of course and in no way am I putting it down, but....I think they could have added more tension about Ariel having to kiss Eric or she winds up "Ursela's slave" or whatever. (in the original story she turns into sea foam.) Of course, it SHOULD have ended happily in the Disney version, but....there just needed to be a LITTLE more suspense. Particularly Eric being "mind-controlled" by Ursela. I know some kids might have found this too upsetting, but in the book he actually gets engaged out of his own free will to some other woman. (not the Sea Witch.) Of course, in the Disney one they should wind up together, but they could have somehow incorporated this, I thought. They soft-pedaled it a little too much.

I would have changed the very end of Monester Inc. When Sulley opened the door and Boo said, "Kitty?" it should have been an older voice, like of a teenager or adult. That would have brought tears to my eyes if it had been years since they'd last seen each other, not a month or two.
Interesting! :) I like that a lot. :wink:
Last edited by ShyViolet on June 11th, 2007, 1:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » June 11th, 2007, 1:35 pm

Hercules: This film was pretty much perfect, the only thing I'd take out is the "blues chorus", SO out of place. I didn't mind the songs Herc, Meg and Phil sung though.
But thats what made Hercules so special... :cry:
I now many people didn't but I really dug the Blues/Gospel vibe.
Hunchback of Notre Dame: Darker, more serious, maybe leave in the Gargoyles but lessen their screen time. Make Frollo's acts of malice more intense. (like have Quasi really get beaten like in the film/book.)
Agreed, but then again....it is Disney
Sinbad: Have anyone but Brad Pitt voice Sinbad.
Eris also needs more of a backstory, more of a purpose, and more malice.
Oh yeah!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Roberta E. Norman » June 17th, 2007, 3:12 pm

I agree that some of the films should be darker, but we have to remember these are targeted towards children (who want to see the silly characters and hear the songs). That was the unfortunate trouble with Treasure Planet... I LOVE Treasure Planet, but it was targeted for an age group (teenagers/adults) that doesn't particularly go to the theater for Disney flicks; therefore it didn't do well in the box office. Thus, that decision hurt its' reputation. I enjoy films like Hunchback and Pocahontas more now since I'm older, because I consider them two of the darker and more involved storylines.

I thought of another thing I wish they would change... in sequels they seem to forget characters in the originals. Like, in Ice Age 2, it would have been nice if they saw the kid again or ran into more humans. In All Dogs go to Heaven 2, Charlie didn't attempt to find the little girl, but they were so close and he loved her... he had his chance to go back to Earth and didn't even mention her! I understand they need to have a new adventure, but to forget someone that was So important in the first one is just sad. :(
Life tastes like happy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 18th, 2007, 12:47 am

Some sequels, right? The vast majority of them, do incorporate past characters in some fashion. Oddly enough, not so much in the ones you mentioned.

Anyhoo, I disagree about Ice Age 2. I thought the original benefited from having the kid, because he helped them to bond a friendship. That wasn't really needed for the sequel. Not to mention, I thought his "good bye" was more than enough, that it didn't make you crave for more, ala, Monsters Inc. Not to say I wouldn't have wanted a cameo, but I think its better the way it is. ;)

Completly agree about All Dogs Go to Heaven 2, though. That was indeed one of the biggest flaws. I still think its great despite that, but yeah, I too would've liked a mentioning, or better yet, an actual reunion.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Roberta E. Norman » June 21st, 2007, 1:07 am

I just watched A Goofy Movie and remembered they got rid of Roxanne in the second film. That is another example of a character they should have kept, because the first film was So focused on her... then she's not even mentioned (as I recall)... Just wanted to point that one out, too. :(
Life tastes like happy.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 21st, 2007, 1:21 am

One of the reason why I didn't like the sequel.

Although, there was a character, who's design was very similar to Roxanne's. Oh heck, it looked exactly like her, but was just some random girl!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » June 23rd, 2007, 4:01 pm

Roberta E. Norman wrote:In All Dogs go to Heaven 2, Charlie didn't attempt to find the little girl, but they were so close and he loved her... he had his chance to go back to Earth and didn't even mention her! I understand they need to have a new adventure, but to forget someone that was So important in the first one is just sad. :(
I agree. It would have been interesting to see Ann Marie as an adult. Although I've never quite been able to figure out the time span between ADGtH 1 and 2. The first film took place in the late 1930's. The second obviously takes place much later (as the world seems more modern).

I'm assuming Itchy spent the rest of his life with Ann Marie, and then eventually died and went to heaven. But just how much longer DID he live?? :? Judging by the gap between both films, he's probably lived about 5 times the normal lifespan of a canine.

I've never quite understood that......

Oliver and Company: I'm a hard-core O & C fan, but the only thing I'd take out is that unnecessary song Dodger and the gang sing right before Oliver accidentally stows away in Jenny's limo. I don't know if anyone remembers it? Also, some of the jokes were a little tedious.
"Streets of Gold" You mean? Ack, I never liked that song either. All it did was slow the film down. A totally unnesessary scene, and a very cheesy song at that.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 23rd, 2007, 5:39 pm

"Streets of Gold" You mean? Ack, I never liked that song either. All it did was slow the film down. A totally unnesessary scene, and a very cheesy song at that.

Definetely...I guess they just felt "Well, we should have a song here" or something. :wink: :roll:

Also: Re: Pocahontas

I love the film and everything, but I might have added more with her relationship to Kokoum, how exactly DID she feel about him? Maybe she didn't want to marry him, but she didn't seem to react much when he died. I also loved Nakoma (Pocahontas' best friend) and wish she'd had a more active role. :) Ditto Thomas, his relationship with John was actually quite interesting and should have had more focus. :?

And, of course, put back "If I Never Knew You." I had the soundtrack on cassette tape back then and loved that song, and I didn't even know it was actually part of the film once. I was just like: "Wow, what a great song. Why isn't it in the movie?" :P :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 24th, 2007, 9:05 am

Streets Of Gold is perhaps the most dated track in the entire Disney songbook.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » June 28th, 2007, 5:31 pm

Regarding The Incredibles, I was actually glad that it didn't devolve into a Bruckheimer chaos-fest at the end, but instead focused more on the characters. I like action as much as anyone else, but there are times I want something deeper than just explosions and chases, especially at the end of a film. Even in Raiders of the Lost Ark, the superb truck chase, which I would consider the action climax, occurs quite a while before the film ends. (You could argue that the Opening if the Ark sequence is thrilling, but it does deal with deeper issues than the truck chase does.) In X-Men 3, by contrast, the climatic action sequence is kinetically exciting, but it fails to get very deep into the characters and provide an emotionally satisfying climax.

One thing I WOULD change in The Incredibles is I would take out the Stratogale sequence in the "No Capes" montage because it is identical to Syndrome's fate and is thus not as fresh when the engine catches his cape. Either that or have his demise be some other cape mishap instead of repeating one we've already seen.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 28th, 2007, 6:22 pm

Good points, Vern...I thought the Stratogale sequence was good forshadowing, but taking it out nd replacing it with a different scene might have been a good idea. Never really thought about that before.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 28th, 2007, 6:28 pm

The cape scene was actually one of my favorite parts! :D

Syndrome's death should have been grander and more disturbing to really have more of an impact. Not that it wasn't good, but like you said, it was too much like the cape speech.

:wink: