Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 20th, 2007, 6:04 pm

Fine, I'll rent it.... eventually. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 21st, 2007, 7:13 am

Daniel wrote:Tisk tisk, have you forgottan, Ben? I've never seen NIMH, so it would be kinda pointless to have on my list.
EXACTLY the reason to HAVE it on your list!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » June 21st, 2007, 12:45 pm

What's wrong with you Daniel?? Get your act together boy!! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 21st, 2007, 2:11 pm

I said I would rent it, what more do you want? :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » June 21st, 2007, 2:39 pm

Your soul would be nice

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » June 21st, 2007, 3:45 pm

No.

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » July 31st, 2007, 5:50 pm

It's animation day! :D I just picked up:

Popeye the Sailor 1933-38 (with the tin case!) **
The Archies - The Complete Series
Space Ghost & Dino Boy - The Complete Series
Birdman & the Galaxy Trio - The Complete series

** I don't have a camera with me, ATM .. but I'll post a pic of the Popeye tin later tonight, if no one else has done so before then ..

----------

addendum: pics of the tin are now posted in the Popeye DVD thread ..
Last edited by droosan on August 1st, 2007, 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » July 31st, 2007, 8:04 pm

Last week was Woody Woodpecker and Justice League (Seasons 1 and 2 on sale for $19.99 each at Wal-Mart) week for me!

Now that I'm officially broke, I could only afford spinach today! :wink:

Ah, the best of the old and the new.

If I had more affection for Space Ghost other than the concept which I think is STILL viable and could be reworked as an animated "Batman in space" concept, then I might have gotten that set, too. Most of the 1960s TV shows are just a bit too campy and stiff for my tastes.

Best stuff is still from the 1930s and 1940s, though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 1st, 2007, 7:03 am

I made a pact to myself to ONLY get the complete season Hanna-Barbera box sets. I've kept up pretty well (thanks to the recent Amazon price crash), but have to admit I skipped Spacey and Birdy.

I remember these shows from their re-runs here in the UK in the 80s/90s and have to say they neither impressed me in their storytelling or animation. They were good product, don't get me wrong, but were not anything new enough to entice me to keep watching, nor be bothered about missing them on DVD.

When it came to action/adventure shows, Filmation scored better for me, while Hanna-Barbera were more skilled at the comedy stuff, which I have tons of. Of course they overlapped and even took on the same kinds of characters, but Spacey and Birdy were not two that particularly stuck in my mind and make me feel like I <I>have</I> to add them to my collection.

Roll on Josie And The Pussycats though! ;)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 1st, 2007, 7:29 pm

Nuts to Filmation and Hanna-Barbera (expect for Top Cat and Flintstones)!

I still want Thundarr the Barbarian! Now that's one action series that's actually still decent. Hope we don't have to wait too long for that one.

And I really do wish WB would clean up its act and treat the older theatrical stuff with more respect. The Droopy set is a real disappointment and I still want an official Tex Avery MGM DVD set.

It's sad that a 15-year-old LD set still outdoes any of the MGM Avery released on DVD thus far...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 1st, 2007, 9:17 pm

Ah, yes, Thundarr was pretty good, as I recall. I'd snap that up for sure.

A lot of Filmation and H-B isn't top drawer stuff, but I still have a strong affection for it. I'm still waiting on my Spacey and Birdie sets, but know I'll love seeing the those shows again. After that, there aren't too many H-B shows I'd still really want that I don't already have (too bad QuickDraw isn't coming, though).

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 7th, 2007, 2:49 pm

Bad news on the new Blade Runner Hi-Def releases ---

From theDigitalBits.com:

"Okay... we've got a little bit more news for you, starting with some follow-up on the high-def versions of Blade Runner. We've confirmed with Warner that both the Blu-ray Disc and HD-DVD editions will feature ALL FIVE VERSIONS of the film in actual 1080p video, but the extras (the documentary, deleted scenes, etc) will all be in standard definition. The reason for this has nothing to do with disc space on either format, but rather timing. Work is still ongoing on some of the extras (it's a big job as you can imagine from the list of specs). Given that, I'm told that even if high-def compression were to start today on the all the extras, there'd be no way to get the high-def versions of the set completed in time to street this year, which is the film's anniversary. That said, even though the extras will be standard def, they're going to be compressed at a very high bitrate and, with upscaling, they should look plenty good. So that's that."

Standard def extras. I know Ben will be pulling his hair out! :lol:

But geez, FIVE versions of one darn film that I think is already overrated at two?

What -- ? WB and Ridley Scott are trying to beat's Lucas's records for Star Wars:OT cuts?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 7th, 2007, 3:03 pm

Tearing my hair out!!?? Nah, not really, since you know they're doing it so they can double dip us again for the 30th Anniversary!! :(

I'm still actually torn on whether to pre-order the SD or the BR (naturally I'm going for the cool case with the extra workprint disc).

There's not much diff in the price (both are expensive) but I guess this is the time I actually jump into the BR camp with a definite purchase...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 7th, 2007, 9:08 pm

BTW, Flash Gordon came out today on DVD today, guys.

$16.99 at Best Buy with an exclusive Alex Ross trading card.

Very nice packaging.

Finally, a half-decent in the R1 market even if it's not all it could have been...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 8th, 2007, 9:04 am

I have the super-cool French disc, but am tempted for the correct speed and pitch of NTSC...