Most underrated Disney song?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 28th, 2006, 1:23 pm

Hey, old thread, but, I can't get that song: "My, what a happy day" from Mickey and the Beanstalk out of my head. I LOVE that song! I wish they could put it on a Disney CD or itunes or something...that would be so great. :wink:

Also, was there ever a Roger Rabbit soundtrack released and is Jessica's song on it?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 28th, 2006, 9:16 pm

The power of Amazon search:
http://www.amazon.com/Framed-Roger-Rabb ... 00006580M/

Track 7...

Trivia...this was earlier a real life hit for Peggy Lee!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 16th, 2007, 10:27 pm

It's technically not Disney, but I loved the songs in Anastasia. IMO, they were the best thing about the film. I can easily see it being made into a stage musical (which it basically was anyway) and those being adapted.

:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 16th, 2007, 11:46 pm

I agree, Anastasia has great songs.

In fact, I was kinda bummed when Journey to the Past lost out to Titanic's My Heart Will Go On .. not that Celine Dion's song wasn't deserving; I just liked Journey to the Past better. :)

Once Upon a December also has a very memorable, and haunting, melody. The dance hall sequence, in which the paintings 'explode' into life, is pure magic .. among Bluth & Goldman's finest work.

-------------

And, a follow-up to your question about Roger Rabbit soundtracks .. yes, the Alan Silvestri score for the feature film has been released, by both Varese Serabande and Disney (and both editions do include Jessica's rendition of Why Don't Ya Do Right?) ..

.. but less well-known is a 'limited edition' Bruce Broughton release titled Cartoon Concerto, which includes the full soundtrack scores for the Roger Rabbit short cartoons Rollercoaster Rabbit and Trail Mix-Up (along with tracks composed for Tiny Toon Adventures and other cartoons).

Since this CD was released by Bruce Broughton himself, though, the track titles don't reflect the actual cartoons which they're from (for 'legal' reasons) .. but they are the complete original scores, as heard in the RR shorts. Well-worth seeking out, IMHO .. though, be warned it may be kinda 'pricey,' if you can find it .. :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 17th, 2007, 8:28 am

I just got the five disc boxset "Classic Disney" and it's full of underrated songs. "Candle On The Water", "The Age Of Not Believing", "Love Is A Song", "I Wanna Be Like You", "Poor Unfortunate Souls" and tons of others. If you can track it down, I'd highly recommend it.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 17th, 2007, 1:15 pm

Once Upon a December also has a very memorable, and haunting, melody. The dance hall sequence, in which the paintings 'explode' into life, is pure magic .. among Bluth & Goldman's finest work.
Yeah I agree! :) Great scene!

I also loved "Journey to the Past," "Learn to Do it", and "There's a Rumor in St. Petersburg." Those songs have gotten stuck in my head A LOT....
:?

My favorite song is probably the one on the end credits--"Life is a Road" or something. It should have gotten a nom too! :(

And "My Heart Will Go On"--UGH...:? I still can't believe all the fuss that song got....and the James Horner score, definitely NOT his best work--American Tale and Land Before Time alone were a thousand times better! :(

(Remember how SNL used to poke fun at Celine, "The Celine Dion Show"? "I am Celine Dion, I am the greatest singer in the world...." :P)

But being "animated" movies, I guess they weren't as "important" enough. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » February 18th, 2007, 8:41 pm

Macaluso wrote:Once upon a time in new york city is an awesome one.
Damned hard to find on my downloading programs though.
I know you posted this almost 2 years ago, but if you're still searching for this song, I can send it to you. ;)

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 18th, 2007, 10:07 pm

I just want to proclaim my love for Oliver and Company once again!

Such a cute film, set the bar for so many future Disney films in pace, characterization, voice work, action, drama, comedy, emotion.....maybe next to Beauty or Aladdin it doesn't seem like that much, but THAT was really the film in which you first saw a hint of the true potential that WDFA had.

Mouse Tech was great too, but still done under the "old" way of doing things.....(watch them back-to-back, you'll see) not that it wasn't a great movie tho. :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 19th, 2007, 12:44 pm

"Learn To Do It" was Anastasia's bad song (c'mon, every musical has one)! But I love the rest and it's often in my car selection.

"Cartoon Concerto", which also has the score to the underrated "Off His Rockers" (how I'd love to see that accompany a CG feature sometime!), is available online if you know where to look.

I got mine for just $13.95! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Most underrated Disney song?

Post by anya456 » May 15th, 2007, 12:09 pm

mr. squarepants wrote:What do you guys think is be the most underrated Disney song ever? In terms of critical acclaim, I would choose "Reflections" from Mulan. It really deserved more award attention than it received. However, it still seems to be a pretty popular song among audiences.

Another song that I feel is underrated - and ignored/forgotten - is "Someday" from The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I think one thing that hurt the song during awards season is that it was performed by a boy band on the soundtrack. Oh well, it still is a beautiful song.
i was about to swear but thought against it,

NO KIDDING! someday was such an epic song, it was true that it was a bit too epic for the movie, but at leas tthey put it in at the end of the movie, like If I never knew You from Pocahontas.

A song i thought was underrated by far, are the broadway disney songs, Home and the song that the beast sings. I would say the lion king aswell but I thought that the won awards or something for it.

The Music from The Prince of Egypt was underrated aswell, I will get there by boyzIImen, there can be miracles, and the song at the beginning, detailing the story, they were pretty neglected.

i havent read all of the pages of this, so im just going to leave it there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by anya456 » May 15th, 2007, 12:11 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
Yeah I agree! :) Great scene!

I also loved "Journey to the Past," "Learn to Do it", and "There's a Rumor in St. Petersburg." Those songs have gotten stuck in my head A LOT....
:?

My favorite song is probably the one on the end credits--"Life is a Road" or something. It should have gotten a nom too! :(

And "My Heart Will Go On"--UGH...:? I still can't believe all the fuss that song got....and the James Horner score, definitely NOT his best work--American Tale and Land Before Time alone were a thousand times better! :(

(Remember how SNL used to poke fun at Celine, "The Celine Dion Show"? "I am Celine Dion, I am the greatest singer in the world...." :P)

But being "animated" movies, I guess they weren't as "important" enough. :roll:
The song at the end of the credits for Anastasia, is At the Beginning, sung by Donna Lewis and Richard Marx XD lol. i think its donna.

man I love that song.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » May 15th, 2007, 12:59 pm

Welcome to the boards Anya

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 15th, 2007, 3:44 pm

Welcome!

I agree that "Home" from the Beauty And The Beast musical was overlooked. Apart from "Human Again", it's the one other song that I felt would have gone seamlessly into the Special Edition cut.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 17th, 2007, 3:18 am

Was "Not in Nottingham" from Robin Hood mentioned yet? It was a great song! :)

The song at the end of the credits for Anastasia, is At the Beginning, sung by Donna Lewis and Richard Marx XD lol. i think its donna.

man I love that song.

Me too, Anya!

Welcome to the forum! :wink:

I don't know if anyone remembers this but Mickey's Christmas Carol actually opened with a very cute Christmas song/carol--I don't know if it was original or not. That's when they flash still scenes from the film over the opening credits (and you see all those famous animators' names!! :wink:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by anya456 » May 17th, 2007, 6:35 am

Jeroen wrote:Welcome to the boards Anya
THANKS!
Im a n00b at the moment, but I'll get better.
No point anymore, if I can't love her
No spirit could win me
No hope left within me
Hope I could have loved her and that she'd set me free
But it's not to be
If I can't love her
Let the world be done with me.