Song of the South

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » February 23rd, 2007, 8:48 am

I do understand why song of the south hasn't been released yet,
Disney doesn't want to send a wrong message to the current generation of kids.

But why don't they bring it out on the next walt disney treasures or legacy volume?
I don't think the treasure volumes appeal to children
Last edited by Jeroen on February 23rd, 2007, 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » February 23rd, 2007, 10:15 am

the first buzz about Frog Princess is that it will be ver truthful to South American culture, with no politically correctness into it. So who knows, maybe we'll get a SOTS DVD at that time.
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 23rd, 2007, 6:05 pm

Zwollie wrote:I do understand why song of the south hasn't been released yet,
Disney doesn't want to send a wrong message to the current generation of kids.

Oh ye of naive youth!

Hollywood/Disney Management DOESN'T care about the negative messages it sends kids.

They just want to make money.

Most execs would SELL their children AND parents on the illegal Asian organ donors' markets to MAKE MONEY.

Heck, these people would sell THEIR grandchildren on the illegal baby adoption market for cash.

No, this is about AVOIDING a public relations flack that would COST Disney money.

Frankly, the sad probability is that maybe 30 people would be upset about Disney releasing Song of the South in ANY HOME VIDEO EDITION whilst millions would buy it.

The supposed, completely-blown-out-of-proportion racial politics aside, the film's only half-good. By far, its best parts are the animated sequences.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » February 23rd, 2007, 8:13 pm

Thats actually what I meant,
I'm not naive btw, I get the whole "corporation" thing.

But I do think a lot of conservative people would object to it
Only in america though, the rest of the world doesnt really care about these sort of things that much

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 24th, 2007, 1:49 am

Hey, funny co-in-ki-dink: TAG brought this movie up today! :)

http://animationguildblog.blogspot.com/ ... south.html
But I do think a lot of conservative people would object to it
Not trying to turn this to politics, but don't you mean liberal people? Conservatives (at least in America) are usually not into being PC at all, I think they would most likely endorse the film being re-released.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 24th, 2007, 10:02 am

No, Zwollie was right. Conservatives would likely be the ones to object to it. I say this because, speaking as a liberal, I can attest that liberals believe in the old saying "I don't like what you say but I'll defend your right to say it." At least, all the others I know personally believe that. Any true liberal would be okay with releasing SOTS because of the simple fact that we need to acknowledge our history, the good as well as the bad, and not sweep it under the rug in an act of intellectual dishonesty.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 24th, 2007, 10:11 am

But if you were a conservative you'd be saying the same thing. See, liberals are going to think conservatives would object to it, but at the same time, conservatives are going to think liberals would object to it. Yah? ;)

Anyway, for fear of turning this into a political debate...I hope it gets a DVD release soon, too! :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 25th, 2007, 1:55 pm

Roy Disney is pushing for this to be in his Legacy series.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 11th, 2007, 6:55 pm

Yeah, that's really cool! :)

Also did you guys see this in JHM's Shareholder Meeting story:

Beyond that ... The only other news that might interest all you hardcore Disneyana fans out there is that the company is now revisiting its decision not to release "Song of the South" on DVD. When quizzed by Carol Koster about the current status of this 1946 Walt Disney Productions release, Iger first expressed his concerns about the film. Wondering aloud if it would actually be possible for today's audiences to put this picture in the proper context.

But Bob (while making no promises about what might happen next with this historic motion picture) then went on to say that " ... we will look at ("Song of the South") again. And Dick Cook (I.E. The Chairman of Walt Disney Studios) would be in charge of that effort."
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 12th, 2007, 8:46 am

As I've said before, there's a movement from Roy Disney to present this film on DVD properly and in the correct context.

I'd LOVE to see a "Deleted Disney" or "Censored Disney" type set in the Legacy mold, with uncut animation from Fantasia, the correct opening from Make Mine Music, changed animation from Three Little Pigs, Saludos Amigos, and others, and of course Song Of The South.

I also heard the reason So Dear To My Heart has been delayed so long in the States is because they may put these out as a double-feature deal.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 12th, 2007, 9:50 pm

IMO that should include "Music in Your Soup" too!!!! :D

(I know, it's on the Snow White DVD, I don't currently own it unfortunately)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 13th, 2007, 6:39 am

Well, go out and buy it. Or wait for the re-issue coming soon-ish.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 13th, 2007, 12:57 pm

Ben wrote:As I've said before, there's a movement from Roy Disney to present this film on DVD properly and in the correct context.

I'd LOVE to see a "Deleted Disney" or "Censored Disney" type set in the Legacy mold, with uncut animation from Fantasia, the correct opening from Make Mine Music, changed animation from Three Little Pigs, Saludos Amigos, and others, and of course Song Of The South.

I also heard the reason So Dear To My Heart has been delayed so long in the States is because they may put these out as a double-feature deal.

Of course, if you have The Three Little Pigs LD that came out around 10 years ago it's no problem as far as uncensored animation goes...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 15th, 2007, 3:53 am

Of course, if you have The Three Little Pigs LD that came out around 10 years ago it's no problem as far as uncensored animation goes...
Why was it censored?

(Um....this isn't that rumor about the original Big Bad Wolf looking like a Jewish peddler is it?)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 15th, 2007, 7:56 am

Yes, the cartoon on that disc was the original Vi.