Batman Begins

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 2nd, 2007, 3:01 am

Rumor has it that Frank Miller wants to direct a live-action adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns, possibly taking over the franchise for Chris Nolan someday. Thus, perhaps we will see Robin introduced in the series.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 2nd, 2007, 8:20 am

Remember that these Batman films are prequels in effect, with each villain being introduced first. We're still only just about to meet The Joker, and notice how young Gordon is - he's still just a cop at this point in time.

So...there's a lot of ground to cover before Robin could enter the picture - at this point he's not much more than a baby, if that!

If this goes to six films, which seems to be the new aspiration in terms of franchises versus story arcs, I'd expect Robin to come in late in number 5 or even a part 6. Miller's directing a Returns script would be down to Nolan vacating the chair, but as we've seen recently, stars and directors seem to be holding onto their franchises more and more, as it allows them the failsafe to take on more quirky films inbetween.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2007, 9:34 am

Remember that these Batman films are prequels in effect, with each villain being introduced first. We're still only just about to meet The Joker, and notice how young Gordon is - he's still just a cop at this point in time.

So...there's a lot of ground to cover before Robin could enter the picture - at this point he's not much more than a baby, if that!
Hmmm.....that's true.

:wink:

Ahhh, just talking about the next Bats film is getting me so psyched!! :)

Anyways, I wish we knew what Heath Ledger's Joker might look like. :?

I wonder if he'll be a gothic/Dark Knight Returns type Joker with lots of makeup aka Jack's Joker, or a more Nolanesque "au naturale" Joker (as some have surmised) with messed up lipstick, blackened teeth, etc.....or more "classic Joker" like Caesar Romero.

Only time will tell! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 2nd, 2007, 2:40 pm

Rumor has it that Frank Miller wants to direct a live-action adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns, possibly taking over the franchise for Chris Nolan someday. Thus, perhaps we will see Robin introduced in the series.
That'd be cool...I'd want a few more Nolan Batmans before that, though, as TDKR takes place when Bruce is like 50-something!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 5th, 2007, 2:02 am

True.... :wink:

Oh well, but if he was cast now:

Cameron Bright as Robin/Richard Grayson! :)

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 5th, 2007, 5:33 am

To me Batman is an individualist and shouldn't have a sidekick in any way.

I am however very interested to see how Nolan would approach bringing Robin into the mix.
Seeing that in a lot of incarnations he has been a kinda silly character.
My biggest fear is his awful costume, if they are able to do that right....well maybe then... :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 5th, 2007, 6:10 am

Seeing that in a lot of incarnations he has been a kinda silly character.

Exactly, but the whole thing is he's not SUPPOSED to be "silly" or "campy", at least he wasn't in the 80's....(OK, maybe in the 50's and 60's.)

I"d also love to see Nolan do Robin how he should be done! :)

Also, about graphic novel "The Dark Knight Returns" I may be confused but:

Doesn't Bats have a Robin-esque girl sidekick who dresses like Robin called "Carrie Kelly"? I really don't think Miller would want to re-do B: TDKR and do the whole "girl-to-boy" thing a la Chicken Little......:P

I loved Bats: The New Adventures because of how they included Robin (Tim Drake) in most of the stories but didn't compromise on the darkness of the show, or Bats' individualistic personality (the show was in some ways even darker than before, with flashbacks and other signals that Batman had turned even MORE harsh than before... in one ep, Robin even has to bring him down because Scarecrow's fear gas causes him to lose it!)

And BB: ROTJ was REALLY dark.....AND Robin was in it. :)

My biggest fear is his awful costume, if they are able to do that right....well maybe then... Neutral
The screwed up Batman's costume in so many places and in so many different ways--Schumacker wasn't the first, check out Adam West's tights!! :P

I think that after those horrible nipple costumes with Schumacker, they can fix up Robin's outfit too. :wink:

Actually, I forgot to say that Miller is re-doing Batman now in his own series--WITH the Dick Grayson Robin, but a new chronology. The older, more grizzled Bruce takes on Dick as a sidekick shortly after his parents' deaths, but he's very harsh on Dick, so harsh that Alfred has to intervene....Nolan might want to take a look at that interpretation. :)

(I think Robin was originally planned for Bats 89, but Burton HATED the character and basically said "No way.")

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 5th, 2007, 7:35 am

It's a personal thing of mine Vi :)

I'm a huge Batman fan,
I have all the Batman movies and series on dvd ( except the 60's series )
And I never really liked the Robin character that much.

On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of Nightwing.
So when he's a dark loner like batman, I have no problems with him whatsoever and he becomes a really interesting persona to me.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 11th, 2007, 12:39 am

So, how do you like your Joker?

Here are a bunch of images of what Heath's joker "might" turn out like. :wink:

(BTW that "summer 2008" teaser "poster" is, of course, fake.)

Not sure where this one's from, but great art!!

Of course, by the great Alex Ross. :wink:

From the Arkham Asylum graphic novel, I think. Or that general time period anyway.

From The Killing Joke. (my personal favorite :D )

Jack's Joker. :wink:

From the Adam West 60's show. (Caesar Romero)

Mark Hammill's classic Crowned Prince of Crime! :)
Last edited by ShyViolet on January 10th, 2008, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 11th, 2007, 1:07 am

My guess is that the Joker in that fake teaser poster is about how the Clown Prince of Crime will look in The Dark Knight.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 11th, 2007, 3:35 am

I have a feeling you're right Josh! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 11th, 2007, 4:10 am

Just as long as we don't get this: :(

The Batman, copyright Warner Bros.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 11th, 2007, 4:35 am

Why not? I love The Batman.

(Just kidding! ;))

I really don't like it. The backround colors, are hideous, and the character models are plain tacky. I know they were aiming for an anime look, but seriously? :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 11th, 2007, 8:42 am

I wonder if with Nolans more realistic approach the Joker will be an ordinary looking guy wearing make-up
or fall in a vat of chemicals altering his skin tone, hair and giving him his deformed grin.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 11th, 2007, 11:10 am

The Joker in The Batman is awful. Yuck!

Anyway, I heard there's a scene in this where
Joker cuts his cheeks to make his smile wider
Don't know if it's true or not, just what I heard.