Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 26th, 2007, 10:29 am

Just wanted to give a heads up that Animated Views will have an interview with Academy Award-winner Torill Kove up later today. Her latest project, The Danish Poet, won the Oscar for "Best Animated Short" last evening. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » February 26th, 2007, 11:24 am

****!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't know what to say, I'm so disapointed.
Cars : 0
Babel: 1

Man, and that did me cost 5 hours of sleep.
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 26th, 2007, 11:41 am

You know what? I bet that Eddie Murphey lost because of all those "Norbit" TV spots that voters had to endure. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 26th, 2007, 4:26 pm

The sad thing is, you're probably right, WJ.

I'm ticked. Cars would have won if it wasn't for all that "Green Oscars!" crap. Yeah, like every person there didn't drive an SUV limo to get there...:roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 26th, 2007, 4:58 pm

Josh wrote:Just wanted to give a heads up that Animated Views will have an interview with Academy Award-winner Torill Kove up later today. Her latest project, The Danish Poet, won the Oscar for "Best Animated Short" last evening. :)
Update! The interview is now up:
http://animated-views.com/2007/director ... nish-poet/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 26th, 2007, 5:07 pm

I kept waiting for Gore to say: "I am super serial!!!"

Yes, Oscar has indeed gone "Green." (still looked gold to me though.....*ba-boom*) :P

*South Park reference. :P (He wanted to track down an imaginary beast called "ManBearPig" and every time someone would doubt him he'd say: "But I'm super serial!"
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rio » February 26th, 2007, 5:56 pm

Now some of us will argue what was really the BEST animated feature out of the three but think of it this way. The Academy is REALLY like a high school. PIXAR always wins and they like seeing something new and hot when. There was such a buzz around Happy Feet when it came out because it was something different. Not to mention Cars was the worst reviewed PIXAR movie in their history which is why some Academy members probably didn't vote for it. I'm sure hundreds of old men don't want to see these animated movies and just look at reviews.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » February 26th, 2007, 6:09 pm

They screened most of the short films at my college Friday, and "The Danish Poet" was one of them. I enjoyed it... the animation was simplistic, but the story was fun and the humor was great - laid-back, but hilarious. And "The Little Matchgirl" made me sniffly, though I've seen it online several times. :P

Happy Feet, eh. Still haven't seen it. But I'm sure the Academy loved its environmental message, even though lots of reviews I've read found the message to be a bit too heavy-handed to be enjoyable.

I'm not too disappointed with Cars not winning, though. I really did enjoy the movie, but I'll be the first to admit that the story was pretty weak no matter how gorgeous the visuals were. Though when people start going on about "glorifying NASCAR" or "non-NASCAR fans won't understand it" or whatever.... that's dumb. I know nothing about NASCAR, nor do I like it, but I enjoyed the movie. I put it in context of being a football game or track meet for cars. (which makes more sense than the real thing, imho) And as far as "omg cars are anti-environment!" What does that have to do with the film? I hope that seriously didn't hurt it with the Academy... 'cos that'd be lame and there are real things to criticize it for.

Though I will say that NASCAR fans will get more of the references. My grandpa's an old car buff and he loved picking out various models during the movie, especially in Radiator Springs :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 27th, 2007, 9:53 am

I'll be checking Happy Feet out on DVD next month, so stay "tooned". ;)

And a reminder that we have Josh's interview with Oscar-<I>winning</I> director Torill Kove up at Animated Views:
http://animated-views.com/2007/director ... nish-poet/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 28th, 2007, 5:38 pm

Ooh, I can hardly wait, Ben! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » February 28th, 2007, 7:38 pm

Grr.......... I knew Monster House wasn't going to win......

Ah well....... At least it got nominated. I was pleasantly surprised when I heard that. Such a unique little film...... I enjoyed it muchly ^__^

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 1st, 2007, 5:43 pm

I liked that article about next year's possible winners....:)

But I can't believe they forgot this film! (yeah, I know I mentioned it a million times.....:wink: :roll:)

There were stories about it last summer on many sites.....and it's a Holocaust movie for crying out loud, by a well-known respected director and very well-known actor making a comeback! :?

http://www.bleibergent.com/index.php?pa ... ovieId=427

Maybe 'cause it's an independent film? :roll: :?:

(Not sure if it's coming out late 2007 or early 2008, however.....:?)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » March 1st, 2007, 5:48 pm

Yeah, the In Contention article was interesting. However, I agree with you, Vi, that the author forgot some noteworthy films. For instance, I have a strong feeling Enchanted will receive at least one Best Original Song nomination.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 1st, 2007, 6:26 pm

That wasn't a "catch-all" article, but I wouldn't call Adam Resurrected any sort of "comeback". Goldblum has been working solidly, and Schrader's career has been spectacularly weak after his early promise and he's known to disappoint, so there's not much expected from this.

You're just biased as a Goldblum nut. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 1st, 2007, 6:39 pm

I guess. :?

:wink: :oops:

I still think Goldblum at least score a Golden Globe nom though..... maybe even William Dafoe, who's starring too.

Trust me, I read the novel that the movie is based on....the main character is MADE for Goldblum, and scenes in the book scream "Oscar clip!"

(but not in the cheesy Wayne's World way)

It's a star-making role, basically.

And it's a Holocaust film....taking place after the Holocaust but with many flashbacks/hallucinations (which will be b& w) to terrible things that happened then....
And, oh yeah, the main character is Schizophrenic.....:wink:

But I guess we'll see what happens.....:? :roll:
Last edited by ShyViolet on March 1st, 2007, 6:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.