Official VIDEO GAMES discussion

Print, Music, Theater, Online, Games and other Merchandise
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 20th, 2007, 12:19 am

That's exactly how I feel, Vi. There's so many games, and so many I want!

It just isn't fare!! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2007, 6:38 pm

Yeah, I know right?? :(

But you know what's also fun? Reading Gamer magazines: I have the one-shot "Video Game Buyer's Guide", latest "Nintendo Power" issue, and just got "Hard Core Gamer: The Retro issue"--REALLY interesting, lots of great info on old games from the 80s and even 70s!

These guys definitely know their stuff! Plus, they're funny! :P

Did you ever hear of Zork? It was this game from like 1981 or so, role-playing, no graphics, just "You are about to be eaten by a so-and-so..." I think I actually do remember something about this in a very remote corner of my brain....:P I think a teacher showed it to us on a Commodore 64 once back in third grade....or something....? :? (like around 1987 or so)

Oh and funny sig Dan! :P I always loved that quote!

(It's weird 'cause it reminds me of something Katzenberg supposedly used to say back in the Disney days, "If you don't show up Saturday, don't bother coming in Sunday!" Well, it was more of a myth really, exaggerating what a workaholic he is....:roll:
:wink:)
Last edited by ShyViolet on February 24th, 2007, 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 23rd, 2007, 3:23 pm

Nope. I never heard of Zork. Sounds, interesting. :P

(Yes, of course it was a myth. ;))
Last edited by Daniel on June 25th, 2007, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 24th, 2007, 2:47 am

Nope. I never heard of Zork. Sounds, interesting.

Yeah, I saw a pic of it--ALL IT IS is white letters on a black text! :) :roll:

But it was popular in its time....kind of like the Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts of its day, (without the graphics, color, and sound of course....:P
(Yes, of course it was a myth. )
Yeah, just like the one about him dancing on the conference room table singing "Zip-eh-Dee-doo-da"....when Three Men and a Baby came out and was a gigantic hit..... :P

(*BTW, that myth is actually true....:wink:)
Last edited by ShyViolet on February 24th, 2007, 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 24th, 2007, 3:18 am

When I have free time, I really need to do some research on Zork! :)

Yes, I knew that, Vi. That was sarcasm. That's why I added a ";)" but yeah, simple mistake! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 24th, 2007, 3:30 am

No, I knew you were kidding--:wink: I just felt like adding that anecdote....:) :)

Yeah, Zork.....far out. I love reading about older games! :)

"Night Driver" by Atari looks cool, even with the primative graphics.
It's basically what inspired EVERY other racing game since then--w/out NightDriver there would be no MarioKart (and no Diddy Kong racing game, which I SO SO SO SO want....:wink:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diddy_Kong_Racing_DS

Here's the original "Night Driver" game....:)

http://www.atariage.com/screenshot_page ... SCREENSHOT

I think they had to call it "night driver" since they didn't have the technology/graphics yet for it to be "day driver"!
:P
When I have free time, I really need to do some research on Zork!

There's lots of info on the net! :) If you look it up on Wik,there's a link there for a site where you can actually play the real game! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 24th, 2007, 5:12 pm

Haha, you could have fooled me, Vi. :)

Oh, and I just went on Wiki, and played it! Certanly not what I was expecting, but it was kinda fun. Thanks for the notice! :)
Last edited by Daniel on June 25th, 2007, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 25th, 2007, 6:07 pm

Hey, anyone here play Halo?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 26th, 2007, 9:51 pm

No, I've never played it. Is it any good? What system is it, X-Box?

I'm really only into portable games--DS and now GameBoy Advance as well. :) (They all work on the DS. :wink:)

G-d I want Diddy Kong.....:)

In the basement of the main Union building here there's a bunch of arcade games, sort of like a cross section of Video Game History!

There's everything from Gorf to Ms. Pac-Man to Circus Charlie, to Mortal Combat to some games that look like mid or late 90s. I think they have Centipede too! :)

Also, here's PONG, what's pretty much considered the First. Video Game. Ever. :P (It was arcade-only until 1977 or so, when the Atari 2600 first came out.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pong

Also, can you believe this???? :shock:

Its creators were among the first to recognize that technology had evolved sufficiently to make video games a practical proposition. Displaying animated graphics on a television screen and reacting in real time to user input would have required more computing power than 1960s consumer products could deliver. Even in 1970, the tasks performed by a modern cell phone would have required a mainframe computer the size of a small apartment.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 6th, 2007, 7:50 pm

Nope, I've never played Halo either. Though, I have watched. :)

Cool, is it free to play the arcade games, Vi? And as South Park once said, Simpsons did it! They showed Pong, in one of the THoH specials.

Btw, I got a game this weekend! Its Shrek Super Slam. Its soooo much fun! :D
Last edited by Daniel on June 25th, 2007, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 6th, 2007, 11:19 pm

I'm seriously going through Pokémon withdrawl..... They need to release Diamond and Pearl SOON.......... O___O

Oh, by the way, does anyone know if the DS version of Yoshi's Island is any good? I have both the GBA and old SNES version ('tis one of my favorite classic games ever!). I just wonder if it's worth owning 3 copies. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » March 7th, 2007, 1:44 am

Alright, now we have a new member, for the just created "Nintendo DS club". Welcome aboard, Angel! ;)

Hehe, on a more serious note, I'm just as eager as you are, for D/P! Omg, I'm a HUGE fan of the Pokemon Anime/video games. I'm so syked! :D

Sadly, I don't know from personal experience, seeing as I have yet to buy the game. Though, its on my list! :)

Here's a review, that should be of some help; http://ds.ign.com/articles/745/745698p1.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 7th, 2007, 11:56 pm

I haven't played Yoshi's Island, but it's also next on my list! :wink:

I did get Sonic Rush however, awesome graphics and speed! :)

Plus a used edition of GBA Pac-Man collection.

(BTW did anyone see that new game coming out this year, Super Paper Mario?? :shock: Oh. My. G-d. )

I don't have Wii, but I pray it comes to DS!!!!! :?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/prev ... 4FEEB65BA8

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 8th, 2007, 2:46 pm

Cool, is it free to play the arcade games?

As South Park once said, Simpsons did it! They showed Pong, in one of the THoH specials. Silly, Vi. Razz
Nah, unfortunately the games are NOT free, :(, they need quarters like any other machine. Some are 50cents each as well.

I was there the other day, and a bunch of them are broken as well. :(

Yeah, I was thinking of Simpsons too!!! :) That's one of my fave Simpsons gags!!! :)

That same episode had another great gag: Kang and Kodos also bragged that they had a satellite with every conceivable cable channel in the universe, and Homer asks: "Does it get HBO?" and they're like "No, that costs extra."

:lol:

One amazing film that deals with computers is WarGames with Matthew Broaderick (1983)--one of my fave films. Yeah, the computers are dated, but it's still a great film, very thought-provoking about how much power computers have and their ability to reason.

I still remember that line from "Joshua"--

"Strange game. It would seem that the only winning move....is NOT TO PLAY."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/

You also learn a LOT about computer history in general...and video games too.

Truly an 80's classic!!!! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » March 8th, 2007, 4:45 pm

Whippet Angel wrote:I'm seriously going through Pokémon withdrawl..... They need to release Diamond and Pearl SOON.......... O___O

Oh, by the way, does anyone know if the DS version of Yoshi's Island is any good? I have both the GBA and old SNES version ('tis one of my favorite classic games ever!). I just wonder if it's worth owning 3 copies. :wink:
I want Diamond ( or Pearl ) PRONTO

about Yoshi's island.
It's actually a sequel to the first game so I guess it's worth buying
They also give it a 9.1 on gamespot
http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/yoshi ... index.html