Batman Begins

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 19th, 2007, 7:49 pm

Me too...I just watched it for the first time a few days ago, and while it wasn't the best film in the world, it was entertaining. Very Happy
Yes, I agree! :) I enjoy it whenever I have a chance to see it again.....it's just a fun piece of nostalgia for me I guess.....also if you'll remember Forever was a HUGE blockbuster hit that summer, hence Schumacker being re-hired for the next one. (Kiss from a Rose on the Grave is still one of my favorite songs too, you won't BELIEVE the amount of times that song played that year!!!!! :shock:)

And there were critics who (DON"T agree with them however) said stuff like: "Aw, that last Batman film was too dark and disturbed! This lighter stuff is much better!" That's partly why Forever was relatively well received in '95.
That, and Jim Carrey's mounting popularity, Forever pretty much established him as a big star, though The Mask did too of course. Before that he was just "That Ace Ventura/In Living Color" guy. :wink:
I just wish Keaton had played Bats one last time and we'd have a pretty good trilogy there.
Yeah, Keaton OWNS Batman, like Christopher Reeve did Superman IMO.

Bale is awesome but he'll never be Keaton....ditto Routh/Superman. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 19th, 2007, 8:01 pm

re: Carrey...

I seem to remember that he set a record for most consecutive $100 million films, including (IIRC) Ace Ventura, The Mask, Batman Forever, and Dumb and Dumber. So, Batman was just a part of that run.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 19th, 2007, 8:09 pm

Oh right, I forgot about Dumb and Dumber! :) That and The Mask was 1994....and Forever was 1995.

Then his streak went cold in 1996 with The Cable Guy (I still like the movie, even if it's incredibly bizarre.) but picked up again in 1997 with Liar, Liar. :)

BTW if you watch The Cable Guy again, Jack Black has a pretty funny supporting part there....(after all Stiller directed) he's basically just Broaderick's best friend, a "straight man" to the weirdness in this film, but he does a good job! :D )

Remember he thinks "Chip Douglas" sounds like a familiar name, and then much later he calls up Broaderick and goes "My Three Sons!" which is where Carrey's Cable Guy got his name. (we never find out his real name.)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2007, 9:53 am

I thought we did learn "Chip"'s name by the end.

Wasn't it... <I>Larry</I>? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 20th, 2007, 1:27 pm

No, he told him "Larry Tate" when he saw him in the prison, BUT later on when he talks to Jack Black, they both realize that Larry Tate was Darren's boss on Bewitched! :) :P

Then at the very end, he says "You really want to know my name?" and he says: "It's Ricky. Ricky Ricardo!" :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 20th, 2007, 1:41 pm

I seriously thought Ben was making a reference to this guy:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 20th, 2007, 4:40 pm

I was Josh.

Flew <I>right</I> over Vi's head.

<I>Larry</I>, the <I>Cable Guy</I>, Vi. Geddit now with the explanation and a GIANT PICTURE!!??

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 20th, 2007, 6:01 pm

OOPS! :)

I guess I missed it....:roll: :oops:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2007, 1:15 am

BTW, apologies if this was already reported, but apparently Katie Holmes is out of BB: The Dark Knight, and Maggie Gyllenhaal is in as Rachel!
YAYYYYYYYYY! :D Maybe they'll have a guest appearance by her brother Jake! :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 22nd, 2007, 9:34 am

YES!

Edit:

From RottenTomatoes:
Apparently the character of "Renee Montoya" will appear in the "Batman Begins" sequel. Apparently she was in the comic books.
Awesome! Renee is one of my favorite characters in the comics. I hope they pull her off right! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 22nd, 2007, 2:03 pm

Katie not being in this was confirmed weeks ago Vi! :)

Apparently she wasn't given enough "going out passes" from her hubby to make another movie so soon. Or something. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 22nd, 2007, 6:01 pm

I must say, I'm actually gonna miss Katie. She was pretty good with that part.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2007, 6:10 pm

Apparently she wasn't given enough "going out passes" from her hubby to make another movie so soon. Or something. Wink
Oh right, isn't that why they couldn't show all of the sex scenes with her and Aaron Eckhart in Thank You For Smoking?? (Dammit, Tom, you jerk! :evil: )
J/K--:P:) :wink: FYI: I LOVE Aaron Eckhart so....:oops: :wink:

Anyway....they sure have a WEIRD relationship if he can control her like that.....he's like 15 years older than her isn't he?? (She's exactly my age, born the same year too! :wink: Ditto Topher Grace and Ashton Kutcher! :) Just some meaningless trivia....:))

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2007, 12:09 am

I don't know if this is true but there was a rumor that Nolan is totally opposed to having Robin in any way, shape or form in the new Batman films. Is this true? Supposedly takes away from the seriousness of Batman--which IMHO is false, since Robin has almost always been part of the Batman mythos (more than 60 years); some have said that if you bring in Robin that's just going to make it like Batman and Robin all over again....which is ridiculous I think, since that film TOTALLY messed up the character and made him way too old! It wasn't just Robin, it was everything.

That's like saying you should never show Bane or Mr. Freeze in any Batman movie again because they were messed up so badly in 1997. We know that's not how those characters really are.

And of course in B:TAS, Robin played a vital part of quite a few episodes. :)

(Although personally I liked the younger Tim Drake Robin better, he seemed to be more a part of the whole thing, since he actually was still a kid and lived with Bruce Wayne and all. The Dick Grayson Robin seemed more like a part-time superhero than anything else. To me anyway.....:?)

It's a tricky thing with Robin since he hasn't always been portrayed all that well (the 66 Batman film, Batman Forever and Batman and Robin) and many automatically associate him with "camp" although many interpretations of him have been quite dark. (the comics Robin 3 Tim Drake and Robin 2 Jason Todd for starters)

The thing is, if you bring in an actor in his twenties (and how can you possibly do that since Bale is still so young, even if they age him a bit to play an "older" Bruce) you screw up the character and the whole balance between Batman and Robin as two guys living together brings up all kinds of questions....then if you try finding a child actor who really suits the role (and it just seems like children in mythic films get so much flack nowadays, *coughTristanLakeLebeauJakeLloydcough* that you're already putting the film at risk. How do you have a kid hero without making it seem cheesy or Spy Kids rip off? Or how do you find a good teen actor who suits the role and pleases fans (and once again, teen/adolescent/young adult actors get lots of flack too, *coughHaydenChristiansoncough*)

Then there's a whole other can of worms of a kid living with an older man, particularly a young boy.....they can get around it of course, just have to really bring home the whole "Bruce Wayne millionaire playboy buys a hotel to treat his girlfriends" thing, and of course Rachel, maybe then they can swing it. And even THEN, if they take a kid actor who's about 12-14, they have to justify all the child endangerment issues with a kid risking his life against homicidal psychopath villains, etc....(Look at all the trouble Return of the Joker got into.....:roll:)

Anyways, I still hope they get around to including Robin, the TRUE Robin, in one of the upcoming films(as many fans do)....but there's a bunch of hurdles they have to cross first. :?
Last edited by ShyViolet on March 2nd, 2007, 5:05 am, edited 5 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 2nd, 2007, 12:10 am

Also, you might have seen this on SuperDickery or Wik: "weird" moment from the old Batman comic strip: :wink:

(It's separate beds of course, they're just close together.....:wink: :?)

The longer cut of Forever, though, was balls.

You mean it was good? :wink: Sorry, not too sure on the lingo....:)

OMG, I still have to watch that! Is it on the Batman DVD collection?