Award archives...

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 29th, 2007, 5:16 am

I have to disagree with you, ShyViolet; there's a lot of li'l bitty po-dunk towns, not unlike Radiator Springs, scattered throughout the western United States (which is the region 'depicted' in the film) .. I daresay there are many which are even smaller than Radiator Springs; we're talking 20 buildings or so, and hundreds of miles from the nearest 'big town', let alone a 'suburb'.

I lived in one myself, for a short time. It was certainly peaceful enough .. but it got annoying having to drive for an hour-plus any time you wanted to 'do' anything. :roll:

I don't feel that John Lasseter was trying to 'shame' anyone for not growing up, or living, in a small town. The real point of Cars is Lightning McQueen's 'journey' from self-absorbed wunderkind with no friends, to a sympathetic car that understands and cares for his friends. "Our Town" is the moment where McQueen begins to 'understand' the residents of Radiator Springs, thanks to his drive with Sally, and their ensuing conversation of why a sporty Porsche would choose to live in such a place.

I do agree that "Our Town" is not the best song on the Cars soundtrack, though. Personally, I've always preferred Randy Newman's scores and compositions to his lyrics. :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 29th, 2007, 11:47 am

I haven't bought the Cars DVD yet, I'm waiting for the special edition. When I watch it again, I'll try to be more open to it. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 29th, 2007, 12:55 pm

Vi, you're kinda saying stuff in this thread that I've seen you say in other threads. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 29th, 2007, 1:21 pm

That's why I made my last post s-h-o-r-t.

:wink: :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 31st, 2007, 11:36 pm

Heheh -- I remember that. I absolutely loved Mike's reaction. Laughing
What I mostly remember is Sulley's reaction. He's clapping and smiling nervously, (in a tux), trying to look "happy"..... :lol: Cracked me up! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Official Annies thread

Post by ShyViolet » February 1st, 2007, 11:19 pm

It is coming, on Feb. 11.....:wink:

Is anyone here going? I think it's like $100 a ticket....:?

Here's a link:

http://www.annieawards.org/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 2nd, 2007, 2:52 am

No, I'm not going .. :( I'm 'jobless' ATM, so the ticket price is too steep.

But I did submit my 'Annies' ballot to ASIFA, last weekend! :) Lots of good nominees this year; I look forward to seeing how it comes out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Why only 3 Animate movies for the OSCAR 06??????

Post by arturok » February 2nd, 2007, 2:59 am

Hi, im from mexico and this is my question.(sorry my poor english)

Supouse will be, 5 this year because the Academy rules more than 8 by year(correct me)but finally only 3 .In Mèxico bebut in cinemas Bambi 2, Cars(carros), Happy Feet,(happy Feet el pingÛino)Open season(amigos salvajes),Monster House(Monster house la casa de los sustos),Ice Age 2, The Wild(Amigos salvajes), George el Curioso, Doogal, Ant bully(La aventuras de Lucas),Vecinos invasores(DWSKG) Fushed away(Lo que el agua se llevo)
So, What happen????!!!!!

however i select Happy Feet to Win the Award

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Sorry i forget too

Post by arturok » February 2nd, 2007, 3:14 am

Banyard (La granja) and Arthur and the invisibles,Paprika 15 movies!!! Again What Happend!!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 2nd, 2007, 3:40 am

Awesome! Do you have to bean animator or a member of ASIFA to vote, or can anyone vote? Just curious. :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 2nd, 2007, 3:45 am

Hey, welcome to the site! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » February 2nd, 2007, 6:49 am

You have to be a member of ASIFA in order to vote .. but you don't necessarily have to be 'in' the animation industry; anyone can join ASIFA.

Currently, a standard ASIFA-Hollywood annual membership is $75 (though there is also a 'student' membership price of $30 .. but I think that does require that you are a student in an animation-related course track).

Besides being able to vote on the Annie Awards, members can attend special screenings of classic and current animated films (often featuring panel discussions with key filmmakers), receive 'screener' DVD's of nominated films, and support the ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive (AHAA): a 'museum/database' located in Burbank, which is dedicated to preserving and storing artwork from hundreds of animated films & television shows, making them available for viewing and research.

Of course, all of the above is easier to enjoy if you are 'local' to the Los Angeles area .. but I don't think that is necessarily 'required' for membership, either; like I said, anyone can join ASIFA. You only have to love animation. :)

/end of recruitment speech :lol:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 2nd, 2007, 9:52 am

ShyViolet wrote:Do you have to bean animator?
I'd like to see that someday. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 2nd, 2007, 9:59 am

Hey arturok!

Films have to have played in LA theaters for at least one week in order to qualify for Oscar attention.

Though there were more than enough animated films released this year to push the nominations up to five, the studios themselves have to actually forward their movies for consideration.

In this case, the Weinstein Company did not promote their film "Doogal" to the Academy this year, meaning that the list was one film short of the requirements to fill five nomination positions.

So, ironically, and despite a banner year for the number of animated film releases, we only get three nominations!

Nuts, or what! :)

Hope that helps, and welcome to the boards. :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 2nd, 2007, 1:49 pm

For anyone interested, here is the schedule for Turner Classic Movies' 31 Days of Oscar. It's quite an interesting lineup. Of course, the channel will show favorites like Citizen Kane and Casablanca, as well as such contempary classics as American Beauty and The Talent Mr. Ripley. Meanwhile, TMC will even show some fun films that received technical awards and nominations, including two Batman films (Returns and Forever), Men in Black and Starship Troopers.

There really is something in the lineup for everyone. :)