The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 10th, 2006, 7:43 pm

You've got a point there...it seems everything being made nowadays are either remakes or sequels.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 10th, 2006, 8:09 pm

Yes, even I think its a bit much :P
Ben wrote:I think we found some sequels that even Jake couldn't sit through! ;)
:lol: yeah! That should tell you something ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 11th, 2006, 3:25 pm

Who actually LIKES the "Baby Geniuses" flicks?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2006, 3:47 pm

Babies... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 11th, 2006, 5:40 pm

Wow, how retro--films based on toys. You'd swear it was the 80's again.... :roll:

My friend avidly collects "Homies" (I don't know if anyone's ever seen them, they're these tiny little plastic 'Hood/Streetwise characters that you get from machines or toy stores in the city.) I'll bet somewhere along the line, they will make a movie of them too. :wink: :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 11th, 2006, 7:29 pm

Groovy.... :D

Yeah, I've seen those little homies toys. Talk about a tough looking toy.

And no Vi, don't say that! It might come true ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 24th, 2007, 11:00 pm

Wow, haven't updated in a while: :)

I got: The Thief of Baghdad, Liar Liar, What Dreams May Come
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 25th, 2007, 1:17 am

I received Asterix and the Vikings and Le Roi Et L'Oiseau ("The King and the Mockingbird") in the mail, this afternoon .. I had to order them through Amazon Canada ..

.. I'm looking forward to watching both, tomorrow! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 25th, 2007, 5:29 am

Hope you enjoy them! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 25th, 2007, 9:07 am

Asterix is fun. Modern and a bit watered down from the original albums, but lovely animation as you would expect from Disney Paris and A-Film staffers.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 26th, 2007, 1:33 am

FINALLY got Simpsons Season 9!!!!!!!! :D :D

Plus The Critic! :) :) (It was buy one, get one free so....:wink:)

And also the movie "Birth" I've never seen it but I've been very curious about it....it's that Nicole Kidman film where her dead husband is "reincarnated" as a 10-year-old boy....? :? Kinda weird I know...:roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 26th, 2007, 2:57 am

I'm so jealous! :evil: j/k :)

Hey, your gonna love The Critic DVD. Defineltly check out the web-isodes! its a very entertaining, bonus feature. :)

(Short, but cute! ;))

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 26th, 2007, 3:57 am

Ben wrote:Asterix is fun. Modern and a bit watered down from the original albums, but lovely animation as you would expect from Disney Paris and A-Film staffers.
I enjoyed it very much! :D Knowing about the modern pop songs in advance probably helped to 'de-fuse' any outrage over their inclusion .. like the Gallic villagers, I just 'went along' with it. :)

I also think some of the other 'modern' gags, like the SMS 'text' message and the Viking 'nightclub' handstamps, were very much in the spirit of the many 'anachronistic' gags in the albums, over the years. I also liked the 'airline' gags on board the Viking longship. :lol:

The real treat, however, is in the 'traditional' animation .. lush and vibrant acting; gorgeous backgrounds; even the effects animation exudes an 'atmosphere' that pulls the viewer into Asterix's world. And the CG elements feature the best 2D/3D 'blending' since The Iron Giant. This film is a technical tour-de-force that makes me wish the Hollywood studios would hurry up and get back to making some 'hand-drawn' features.

All in all, it's a shame Asterix and the Vikings didn't get a stateside theatrical release .. and it's an even bigger shame that it's not available on DVD in the U.S., either (though it is available in 'Region-1' -- in Canada).

Thankfully, the movie can be watched with either the french or english audio tracks (with available english subtitles, for the french track). The voice acting is excellent, in both (yep, I watched it twice; once in each language!) Most of the bonus features, however, are in french only.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 26th, 2007, 7:30 am

ShyViolet wrote:Plus The Critic! :) :) (It was buy one, get one free so....:wink:)
It stinks!

;)

Great DVD!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 26th, 2007, 8:07 am

On Asterix, droo, it may interest you that it was animated "in" English, exactly so it had a chance at a stateside release. :(

Did you notice that the director is an English speaker? And the lip-synch is obviously formatted to English rather than French.

Nice to hear the Celine Dion track in both languages, and the song changes in the final credits.

Glad you enjoyed it, and I agree with your comments! :)