Favorite Menken/Ashman musical score?

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links

What is your favorite musical score from the team of Alan Menken and Howard Ashman?

Poll ended at July 6th, 2005, 6:47 pm

The Little Mermaid
11%
Beauty and the Beast
56%
Aladdin
33%

Total votes: 9

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 28th, 2006, 1:14 am

ShyViolet wrote:
Yeah, it doesn't even have any penguins in it...yet.
OH G-d please, please, no more Penguins!!!!! :shock: :twisted: Is that too much to ask??? :roll:
:shock: no more penguins? As if, hun. Have you seen the numbers "Happy Feet" has brought in? I would expect in the near future "Happy Feet 2: The Penguins Strike Back!" :lol:

On a more serious note, I agree with Vi. Enough with the penguins! What film started this craze anyway? I susupect it was "March of The Penguins" darn you Morgan Freeman! :evil: :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » November 28th, 2006, 3:03 am

Penguins strike back?

Don't you remember that Halloween-episode from the Simpsons? :D :D
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 28th, 2006, 10:09 am

On a more serious note, I agree with Vi. Enough with the penguins! What film started this craze anyway? I susupect it was "March of The Penguins" darn you Morgan Freeman!
I still find it amazing that you can love "Cinderella II" but actually have a problem with penguins.

Penguins ROCK, that's all there is to it. ;)

And "Happy Feet" would have been made WITH OR WITHOUT "MARCH OF THE PENGUINS"! It was in production YEARS before it came out! You can't make a $100M animated film in less than 16 months, you know. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 28th, 2006, 12:12 pm

Ice Age 2. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 28th, 2006, 1:11 pm

Also just FYI: as I understand it, because they have many less films in production than other studios, Pixar's average time spent on making a film is 18 months.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 28th, 2006, 2:51 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Also just FYI: as I understand it, because they have many less films in production than other studios, Pixar's average time spent on making a film is 18 months.
Er, I heard the average was 4-5 years.
I thought the selection of Musker and Clements as directors WAS a signal that this was going to be a tradtional fairy tale, at least in execution.
Enchanted? :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 28th, 2006, 4:27 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Also just FYI: as I understand it, because they have many less films in production than other studios, Pixar's average time spent on making a film is 18 months.
Where did you hear that?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 28th, 2006, 5:39 pm

Groaning wrote:Penguins strike back?

Don't you remember that Halloween-episode from the Simpsons? :D :D
Ooh, that's one of my favorite THOH :P
Those crazy Dolphans, Ha ;)
Wendy's Jane wrote:I still find it amazing that you can love "Cinderella II" but actually have a problem with penguins.
:roll: I'll always be remembered for loving Cinderella II, huh? ;)

Nah, I don't have a problem with Penguins, heck I'm obsessed the Madagascar ones :lol: I was just commenting that we've seen enough of penguins, there are other animals -_-
Wendy's Jane wrote: Penguins ROCK, that's all there is to it. ;)
Perhaps :)
Wendy's Jane wrote: And "Happy Feet" would have been made WITH OR WITHOUT "MARCH OF THE PENGUINS"! It was in production YEARS before it came out! You can't make a $100M animated film in less than 16 months, you know. ;)
It was? Who knew....

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 28th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Though an animated film can be in pre/production/post for upwards of two/three/four years, it's fairly typical for the animation itself to only take 18 months to a couple of years.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 29th, 2006, 3:02 pm

Er, I heard the average was 4-5 years.
I read an article in the Guardian or somewhere else about Pixar. DW and Disney take about 3 or 4 years because they have way more films in the pipeline. Pixar has much fewer films so....

The idea for Finding Nemo was pitched from Andrew Stanton to John Lassetter in very early 2002 as a I understand it...right as the first Animated Film Oscar was about to be rewarded and Monsters Inc. was nominated along with Jimmy Neutron and Shrek. (It says so in the Art of Finding Nemo)

When did Finding Nemo open? May 2003. Eighteen months after, just about. :wink:

The other films might have taken a few years longer, but I know that this was the case for Finding Nemo.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 30th, 2006, 11:27 am

That doesn't sound quite right somehow.

I remember reading about FN an upcomingmovies.com BEFORE "Shrek" even came out!

So, as far as I know, that's not true.

But yes, full animation on a feature-length film can be done in an 18-month period. That was the case with "Titan A.E.". As far as I know, it ends up making the production much more expensive than usual, as was the case with "Titan A.E.".
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » November 30th, 2006, 7:02 pm

My animation professor (who has been in the business) said something about Pixar spending a couple years just working out the story to one of their films. 18 months might be the actual animation time, but...
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 1st, 2006, 12:24 am

Yep, upwards of 18 months for <I>animation</I>, longer than 10 years on some long-gestating projects for story and other factors.

For instance, <I>Dinosaur</I> was originally going to be a stop-motion epic without any dialogue, to be directed by <I>RoboCop</I>'s Paul Verhoeven! This was mentioned as far back as 1989 and yet the film didn't come out until over 10 years later!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricMontreal26 » December 5th, 2006, 7:23 pm

ShyViolet wrote:OK, but other than the awesome songs in Ragtime (which were quite a number of years ago) what was the last love song that Randy Newman wrote? And not "love-between-a boy-and his doll" or "love between little girl and monster from another dimension" or "love of a town." I'm talking romantic, full-on love.

What has Newman ever written that proves he could do something like that?
Umm Newman wrote the movie score for Ragtime in the early 80s but it had no songs--that I remember.

the *GORGEOUS* musical theatre stage score for Ragtime was by Lynn Ahrens (who did lyrics with Alan Menken for Christmas Carol) and Stephen Flaherty who are one of my current fave stage teams. Ragtimne is one of the best stage experiences I've ever had.

Ahrens/Flaherty were actually shortlisted by Disney for a while-_Disney was interested in adapting their hit offBroadway musical Once on this Island (a Carribean take on Little Mermaid sorta) and was working with them for a while. Around the time of ragtime they of course wrote the largely really great score for Bluth's Anastasia (I believe they even did the score for the video spin off Bartok but I haven't been able to find that) and have since then have had some more adventurous OffBroadway works like the great intimate Man of No Importance and Dessa Rosa.

While my Broadway tastes often lean more towards the post Sondheim crew of songwriters--I love Michael John LaChiusa's challenging scores, Flaherty/Ahrens are a great bridge between more traiditonal "Broadway" showtunes and more adventurous writing.

As for Newman I'll give him the benefit--I don't really care for his Pixar scores but I assume he's versatile (I haven't heard his score for his musical Faust which never opened on Broadway but would be curious to hear what he can do). I was no big fan of Elton John's score for Lion King (I prefer the extra stage songs by others) but I do largely love his Aida and *love* both Lestat and Billy Eliot. But I too am disappointed Menken isn't doing this.

As for Menken's past scores--I admit I still haevn't seen or heard Hone on the Range--shoudl I bother? I knwo the lyricist from it is doing he new Mermaid songs--the demo for Mermaid has leaked and some of the new songs are great, some kinda meh.

Speaking of leaked demos I too am a huge fan of Stephen Schwartz and don't think he should be judged just on his lyrics with Menken (although I prefer that team than Menken and Rice). Prince of Egypt is awesome-- Wicked is overate dbut still a very good Broadway score and I have a huge softspot for his 1972 hit Pippin even if that was more a Bob Fosse show than a Schwartz one. Plus his flop Baker's Wife is perhaps one of the loveliest Broadway scores of the past 30 years (Meadowlark from ti has become a bit of a classic). I have a demo he did when he was meant to write Mulan, back when it was Fa Mulan called Written in Stone sung by Lea Salonga and it's a GORGEOUS song that makes me sad he never wrote the full score apparantly Disney fired him cuz he was working at Dreamworks...)

Sorry for budding into this thread--I'm a big animation fan (though lately more of anime than N AMerican works) and big musical theatre freak and came upont his great forum by google...

E

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 5th, 2006, 8:00 pm

EricMontreal26 wrote:As for Menken's past scores--I admit I still haevn't seen or heard Hone on the Range--shoudl I bother?
:shock: Yes you should Eric! I know it gets ridiculed by some, but IMO I love it.
EricMontreal26 wrote: Sorry for budding into this thread--I'm a big animation fan (though lately more of anime than N AMerican works) and big musical theatre freak and came upont his great forum by google...
Don't worry Eric, it's cool 8) its not really against the 'rules' to post in old threads, heck a lot of us do it all the time. But, I know the feeling of being new and not knowing the rules. Once you get familar with the forum, you'll see it is great!

Anyway, welcome to the boards EricMontreal26! :P