Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 12th, 2006, 1:06 pm

Meg wrote:Sweet! My sister won a copy of the soundtrack! :D
Cool.

Looks like "Flushed Away" is still doing strong business:

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2006, 2:47 pm

Cool...looks like it could be Aardman's biggest hit yet if it stays on track. A lot of competition coming up tho...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 12th, 2006, 2:51 pm

DANCING PENGUINS!!!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 12th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Darn those dancing penguins! Always making life difficult for everybody...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 12th, 2006, 9:43 pm

:lol: aint it the truth Meg ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 13th, 2006, 10:58 am

Seriously, though, I wonder if this means that DreamWorks and Aardman might end up staying together after all.

I also wonder if Mr. Paul Allen is really going to sell his shares.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 13th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Seriously, though, I wonder if this means that DreamWorks and Aardman might end up staying together after all.
Well, apparently THAT ain't gonna happen.... :roll:

Oh well. I guess they had their reasons. Their styles are so different anyway. And although Chicken Run did quite well (plus it had a DreamWorks screenwriter on it) I think the Aardman British style IS just too different to appeal to the masses, NOT that this means its bad--on the contrary, the fact that it's "different" is what makes it better than 99.9% of entertainment out there... :roll:

But still, this is a business....sad but true. :(

From the TAG blog: (Kevin Koch)
From what I've been hearing, the "divorce" (if it really is that) between DW and Aardman has been brewing for many months, and has much more to do with the difficulties on the collaboration on Tortise v. Hare (a cancelled project) and the protracted production of Flushed Away. I don't think it really has much to do with the financial performance of Flushed Away, which is actually better than anyone's projections.
I suspected that it had to do with Tortoise vs. Hare...really sad that it never got off the ground. Maybe the concept was flawed anyway? Too bad but....watching the Wallace and Gromit film (which I enjoyed) I can see how there'd be clashes since the "cheekiness" and dry British wit, not to mention the "softness" of W & G compared to the hard edges of the average American smart-aleck toon are worlds apart. I suspect that even in Britain, where I'm sure W & G is very popular, there are lots of people who don't care for them either....it's not just the "British" thing, it's a certain taste, and it doesn't appeal to everyone.

Darn those dancing penguins! Always making life difficult for everybody...
So true...I'm sorry to say it but I have absolutely no desire to see Happy Feet, Surf's Up or any other cartoon with these guys...dancing Penguins is a really old concept anyway, didn't they used to have them in those old commercials from thirty years ago?

You know what's original though? Commando Penguins! :P Who get drunk on egg nog....:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 14th, 2006, 5:13 am

ShyViolet wrote:
Well, apparently THAT ain't gonna happen.... :roll:
???

Has this now been officially confirmed?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 14th, 2006, 6:06 am

It sort of seemed that way from the article, but I guess things could still change. I hope.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Groaning » November 14th, 2006, 12:47 pm

ShyViolet wrote:It sort of seemed that way from the article, but I guess things could still change. I hope.
No way. They are going to split up. For sure.
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 14th, 2006, 5:11 pm

Which article?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » November 14th, 2006, 5:17 pm

So true...I'm sorry to say it but I have absolutely no desire to see Happy Feet, Surf's Up or any other cartoon with these guys
I'm actually looking foward to both films...But I like the Madagascar penguins could easily get very old very quick.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 14th, 2006, 5:18 pm

Ben wrote:Which article?
I think Violet means this one in Variety: "An Aard-knock life".

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 15th, 2006, 10:41 am

But that article does NOT confirm the split.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 15th, 2006, 9:50 pm

That's why I questioned it. There's nothing official out there.