DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 16th, 2006, 4:41 pm

He appears in some stories (I think mostly in the 80's? I could be wrong) and particularly at the climax of "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tommorow?" by Alan Moore, 1986. (ALL the villains appear in that one! :) )

He is basically a villain from another dimension, not human, nothing we can understand. I think he can take any shape but often appears as a funny little man in a purple suit and top hat.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » October 16th, 2006, 4:53 pm

If I remember correctly it's more like a bowler hat.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 16th, 2006, 4:56 pm

Yeah, I couldn't remember the word for it! :D
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 16th, 2006, 5:47 pm

Also, it would be great to see Bizarro too! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 19th, 2006, 11:52 pm

Spacey just needs to be more "Luthor". He wasn't investing himself in the character. Not nearly slimey enough as has been traditional (and, no, I'm not looking for Reeve, Kidder, Hackman clones in the casting).
I did read that he is definetely coming back for the second one, and quite possibly the third.

Hey Ben, just wondering, what did you think of John Shea's Lex on Lois and Clark?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 20th, 2006, 6:22 am

His was a different take on the character, obviously. One that played on Lex as the big corporate bad guy, which was fun.

The show was much more comic book, like the original Adventures Of Superman, really, and I think his character played up to those strengths.

I liked that version of the show and Shea's Lex, although I wish they had done more with him towards the end. They never really got around to exploring his character post-bald Lex, which maybe a season 5 would have done to round things out better.

I <I>did</I> like that Kal-El revealed himself to Lois, but thought the marriage (and did they have a super baby, or was that a dream?) went too over the top and starting on the Krypton time-travelly things and having jokey characters turn up lost all sense that even that comic book world had.

A good show for its first few seasons, but lost it in the end. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 22nd, 2006, 10:48 pm

I did like that Kal-El revealed himself to Lois, but thought the marriage (and did they have a super baby, or was that a dream?)
I think it appeared on their doorstep. It might have been make-believe, especially since all evidence pointed to the fact that Lois and Kal-El were NOT biologically compatible.

Plus Kat, Jimmy Olsen no. 1 and Lois' sister were all great supportering characters who made the show really fun (and made up for Hatcher's generally sub-par acting skills). Removing them was a huge mistake, IMO. And turning Perry White from gruff to just plain stupid was an even bigger one. :roll:

The show worked for a while when they were married but then went down the tubes. It just seemed like the writers didn't know how to draw tension from the episodes anymore now that the "secret" was out. Plus L & C hardly chased stories anymore by the end. It was a soap opera with some super-powers thrown in. :roll:

Dean really carried this show. He was convincing and likable no matter
how dumb the plot. That took LOTS of talent. Lex Luthor/John Shea was very good in some eps and just bland in others. He was much better early on when he was still a "respectable" businessman.

I used to get up really early sometimes when they were re-runnning this on TNT on weekday mornings and watch it! :)
A good show for its first few seasons, but lost it in the end. Smile
Very true, especialy that episode where Lois and some other people became three inches tall due to a toxic shampoo! :roll: :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 23rd, 2006, 7:21 am

Yeah, I had that in mind when I said that! :)

They're re-running them here every night at 7pm. If I'm in I'll have it on in the background...still a "fun" show.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 23rd, 2006, 4:51 pm

I loved how in the first season (or first episode?) Clark flew all the way to China to get authentic Chinese food! :)

(One mistake, I think, is that it had a fortune cookie with a fortune inside it, written in Chinese, which Clark could read of course. But if I'm not mistaken, fortune cookies were started in America by Chinese immigrants, and were NEVER a Chinese tradition! :roll: )

Yeah, I had that in mind when I said that! Smile
BTW, Teri Hatcher wrote that script. My G-d, the woman is brilliant! :roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 26th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Looks like Superman is returning - again - and so is Bryan Singer.

What will be different this time around? Well, it seems the sequel will have a smaller budget than its predecessor ("around $140-175 million plus marketing"). Meanwhile, although Warner Bros. was reportedly happy with the way Singer reintroduced Superman, the studio is expecting more action in SR2.
IESB.net wrote:We’ve been told that Superman will have the battle of his life in the sequel and audiences can expect one of the ultimate baddies in the D.C. universe to come to Metropolis to pick a fight with the Man of Steel.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 27th, 2006, 10:33 am

Sounds awesome. :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 27th, 2006, 1:37 pm

Looks like Superman is returning - again - and so is Bryan Singer.
I"m happy to hear this, since I mostly liked Singer's version. I feel bad for Ben, however. :?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 27th, 2006, 4:24 pm

Yeah, this news probably isn't going to make Ben happy.

Looking on the bright side, I think X2: X-Men United is considerably better than X-Men. I have a feeling we might see a similar difference between Superman Returns and its sequel.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 28th, 2006, 4:45 pm

Someday I really need to see the other "X-Men" films. I've only seen "The Last Stand".
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 29th, 2006, 1:20 am

Looking on the bright side, I think X2: X-Men United is considerably better than X-Men. I have a feeling we might see a similar difference between Superman Returns and its sequel.
Good point Mickey! :)