Disney Pixar's Cars

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

well

Post by bawpcwpn » October 17th, 2006, 4:39 pm

Well on the outakes.

The reason Pixar did the outakes is because a lot of people weren't sure how the films where made. So they thought they would play with out heads a bit. And it was popular at the end so they continued with it for a bit. They make the credits more interesting anyway.
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: well

Post by James » October 17th, 2006, 5:00 pm

bawpcwpn wrote:Well on the outakes.

The reason Pixar did the outakes is because a lot of people weren't sure how the films where made. So they thought they would play with out heads a bit. And it was popular at the end so they continued with it for a bit. They make the credits more interesting anyway.
I always assumed they did it to get people to go back and see the film again since I don't think (for their first few films anyways) that the outtakes were included in the opening day version. Just more proof of their arrogance - trying to make more money! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 17th, 2006, 5:08 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I think it was overall pretty rare, maybe one reference per pic. There are a lot more per every Pixar film, at least from what I can tell.
Meg wrote:Hey ShiVi, you ever seen "A Goofy Movie"? :wink:
Just off the top of my head here are some Disney films with at least more than one reference: two in Hunchback (Belle and Pumbaa), two in Hercules (Scar and the Disney Store), three in Aladdin (the Beast, Sebastian, and the Disney World commercial), and I'm sure I'm forgetting some!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 17th, 2006, 5:13 pm

OMG - I just watched the Over the Hedge DVD and you won't believe what those stuck up people did! During the credits they make Star Trek jokes! Paramount owns Star Trek and owns DW and distributes DW Animation's films! How arrogant! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kinoo » October 17th, 2006, 6:12 pm

Violet did you already forget Donkey's cameo in DW animated show Father of the Pride (the Vegas white lions show)..???
[url=http://www.pixar-room.com][img]http://pixarroom.free.fr/PIXAR%20PICS/mai2007/R.jpg[/img][/url]
http://www.inbedwithkinoo.canalblog.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 17th, 2006, 11:05 pm

Violet did you already forget Donkey's cameo in DW animated show Father of the Pride (the Vegas white lions show)..???
No, I didn't. :) Yes, they did it once but it was a joke because it wasn't really Donkey, it was just his "stunt double." :P And it's T.V. show, a comedy, not the same as a movie.

Anyway, this totally proves my point--ask yourself, HOW MUCH HEAT did DW get for THAT? I'd say a lot. Among all the other flack they got for FOTP, the Donkey thing was one of the most reviled things. Despite the fact that in the actual episode, it wasn't even Donkey! :shock: Which was the joke in the first place! :roll:
No..'cuase they've never done any outtakes

Which is to their credit. :P The Pixar outtakes are more wink-wink nudge-nudge aren't we special jokes. I thought they were cute the first couple of times, but enough's enough.
I always assumed they did it to get people to go back and see the film again since I don't think (for their first few films anyways) that the outtakes were included in the opening day version. Just more proof of their arrogance - trying to make more money!
It's basically in-jokes, seeing if people can spot them, letting people feel clever for doing so. In my opinon that's no different than pop culture references. Except pop culture references are from mass culture, which we're all a part of and can appreciate. Pixar's self-references, which have absolutely nothing to do with the plots of their movies, are about themselves. Bravo. Hey, I really don't care that some character from "Red's Dream" pops up in a film. I just don't see why it has to be there in the first place. It's completely gratituous self-plugging. The Donkey thing in FOTP at least played an important role in the story.
What could the tour guide have said about an aisle full of Buzz that wouldn't have sounded arrogant?
I don't know. Maybe talked about his laser or his new utility belt or something....you know, something that has to do with the film, not the film's makers and how successful they were.
Animation - especially animated comedies - is a joke medium.
There's nothing wrong with jokes. I know there have been hidden references in animation for years and years. It doesn't bother me on its face. Pixar just does it way too much, especially with the outtakes, which in my opinon are a total waste of time.

Yes, I noticed Herc picking up a Scar doll. (And I remember the "Walt" reference in a Goofy Movie! :) ) That's why i brought up that whole Disney store/Hercules tie-in, which was funny because they were making fun of themselves. That's sort of Disney's tone when they do these things--like when they were going to stick mickey, donald and goofy into Ariel's contract with a gun pointing to them. (or when Pain and Panic are disguised as Thumper et al: "Two rodents looking for a theme park!") :P Pixar's references/outtakes are just tedius.

That's how I feel. I know many don't share my opinon but it's O.K., no big deal. :wink: Let's lay this topic (Pixar vs. DreamWorks) to rest for now. :wink: :)
Last edited by ShyViolet on October 17th, 2006, 11:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » October 17th, 2006, 11:13 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Anyway, this totally proves my point--ask yourself, HOW MUCH HEAT did DW get for THAT? I'd say a lot.
Well, not A LOT of heat - hardly anyone was watching...

:) Just kidding, Vi! I couldn't help it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 17th, 2006, 11:36 pm

:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 18th, 2006, 5:01 pm

Again, Vi, your posts continue to look like small essays. :wink:

Well, your last one doesn't, but anyway.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 18th, 2006, 5:26 pm

Yeah well... :? :oops:

Well, not A LOT of heat - hardly anyone was watching...
The critics sure were. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 18th, 2006, 8:24 pm

Despite the fact that in the actual episode, it wasn't even Donkey!
Actually there were two Donkeys - one a stunt double, the other the real one. ;)

(I hadn't been watching FotP, but tuned in for that episode 'cause I wanted to see if Donkey did anything funny. He didn't, the episode stunk, and I never watched it again. Such a shame, the character designs were so adorable. :( )
It's completely gratituous self-plugging. The Donkey thing in FOTP at least played an important role in the story.
"And don't forget, kids, tell you parents that Shrek 3 comes out in 2007!"

:P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 19th, 2006, 6:12 am

Okay, I'm going to bring this back on topic in a sec, but just wanted to point one thing out.

A young orange fish, in an upcoming DREAMWORKS movie, asks: "Have you seen my Dad?", an obvious reference to a PIXAR film!

Imagine that! ;)

------------------------

Now, about that Cars movie...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 19th, 2006, 11:12 am

What cars movie?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » October 19th, 2006, 3:05 pm

You know, the one with the vroom-vroom and the beep-beep...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 20th, 2006, 6:38 am

...and the toot-toot...

(continue) ;)