You Might Be An Animation Geek If...

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 9th, 2006, 12:53 pm

I'd have LOVED to see that made.

I was so anticipated when I heard Bluth was doing it until I saw the film and realised that he wasn't doing it at all and that his version was just a sort of spin on the Chanticleer idea.

Still, I find Rock-A-Doodle to be one of the better independent Bluth films, if for nothing more than hearing Phil Harris' heartfelt and delicate narration.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 19th, 2006, 1:53 pm

62.) You know who did the voices of all three Gargoyals in Hunchback.

63.) You know that Return of Jafar was the begininng of the whole direct-to-video issue, which started out as an alternative between feature films and ended up as the only avenue in which you can still see (new) 2d Disney animation.

64.) You know that the Talespin characters were almost all based on Jungle Book. (I don't think Rebecca or Wildcat came from Jungle Book though. :wink: )

65.) You know that United Pictures Association (UPA) was made up mainly of artists who broke off from Disney in the 1940s and went on to produce Mr. Magoo, Gerald McBoing Boing and eventually Gay Pur-ee.

66.) You know that at first the Simpsons was animated by Clasky-Csuspo (Did I mangle the spelling?) and then was shipped overseas to Korea via Film Roman and Gracie Films.

67.) You know that DuckTails was the first of Disney animtion to be animated overseas. (Hong-Kong)

68.) You know that originally Bart was the focus of the Simpsons TV show, not Homer. ("Underachiever and proud of it, Man!")

69.) You know about the whole mess behind the Thief and the Cobbler.

70.) You've actually watched films like "We're Back!", "Once Upon a Forest", "The Pebble and the Penguin," and "A Troll in Central Park." :wink:

71.) You know that Don Bluth moved his entire studio to Dublin, Ireland, but lost money and had to fold.

72.) You know who Bubba Duck is, and the story in which he originated. :)

O.K.....that's it for now! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 19th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Couple more: :P

73.) You can name all the (TV show) Gargoyals.

74.) You know which Star Trek: The Next Generation actors did voices on that show. (Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis.)

75.) You know that Uncle Scroog'es most prized posession is his lucky dime! :D

76.) You know that Mel Gibson voiced not one, but two animated characters. (Rocky the Rooster and John Smith)

77.) You think that Best Animated Film should also be made into a Golden Globe Category. (Well, I do, anyway. :wink: :roll: )

78.) You can name all three Goodpigeons. (Squit, Bobby and Pesto.)

79.) You know what "Good Idea, Bad Idea" is . :wink:

80.) You know that whenever Steven Spielberg was "animated" in Tiny Toons, Animaniacs or Freakazoid, it was Frank Welker who did his voice.

81.) You know that "The Critic" premiered on ABC but was quickly dropped, and was eventually broadcast on FOX for one season. (Jay: "I used to have a big show on ABC....for about a week!" :D )

82.) You know that "South Park" was the first mainstream TV cartoon rated TV MA.

83.) You know that the kid who voiced Montana Max on Tiny Toons was also that annoying little redheaded kid on Different Strokes. :roll: :roll:

84.) You know all the lyrics EVERY Simpsons song. (I know most but not all. :oops: )
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 19th, 2006, 3:37 pm

ShyViolet wrote:67.) You know that DuckTails was the first of Disney animtion to be animated overseas. (Hong-Kong)

70.) You've actually watched films like "We're Back!", "Once Upon a Forest", "The Pebble and the Penguin," and "A Troll in Central Park." :wink:
67b) You also know how to actually spell DuckTALES. ;)

Actually I thought that Wuzzles had production done by Wang Film, which predates DuckTales by three years...?

70b) ...add to that list any film whose title starts "The Princess And...", especially "...The Goblin" and "...The Pea", which I had the misfortune of seeing this afternoon. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 19th, 2006, 3:42 pm

67b) You also know how to actually spell DuckTALES. Wink

Oh, um....oops! :oops: :?

But I'm pretty sure I spelled Clasky-Csupo right, didn't I?

:wink: :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » September 19th, 2006, 9:54 pm

Ben wrote:
ShyViolet wrote:67.) You know that DuckTails was the first of Disney animtion to be animated overseas. (Hong-Kong)
67b) You also know how to actually spell DuckTALES. ;)

Actually I thought that Wuzzles had production done by Wang Film, which predates DuckTales by three years...?
Both The Wuzzles and The Adventures of the Gummi Bears premiered in the US in 1985 and were animated overseas (by Wang Film, Tokyo Movie Shinsha [TMS] and others). DuckTales was sydicated in 1987.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 20th, 2006, 2:32 pm

Thanks for confirming. I knew DuckTales wasn't Disney's first foreign animation.

Also, I have number 85) You just picked up a copy of Disney/Dahl's "The Gremlins", just reissued by Dark Horse.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » September 20th, 2006, 11:40 pm

Ben wrote:85) You just picked up a copy of Disney/Dahl's "The Gremlins", just reissued by Dark Horse.
Seriously? I have to find that!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Riv » September 21st, 2006, 12:20 am

70.) You've actually watched films like "We're Back!", "Once Upon a Forest", "The Pebble and the Penguin," and "A Troll in Central Park."
Check, check, check and check! All decent little movies :)

86) You scoff at the idea of Tom and Jerry being further edited to remove all smoking scenes

87) You know the lyrics to "The Touch" from the Transformers movie :D

88) You actually PREFERRED the animated adaptation of James Cameron's Titanic to the original (highly improbable!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 21st, 2006, 1:26 am

8 You actually PREFERRED the animated adaptation of James Cameron's Titanic to the original (highly improbable!)

Do you mean that faux SNL cartoon by Robert Smigle? (with Whoopie Goldberg as the Iceberg)

:roll: :P

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 21st, 2006, 1:55 am

He may be referring to Titanic: The Animated Movie (2001): Amazon, The Unknown Movies, Titanic-Titanic, IMDB.

It was the Titanic film that boasted in its preview, "Child-friendly ending assures everyone is rescued and lives happily ever after!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Riv » September 21st, 2006, 5:55 am

That's the one! You have to hear the "Party time" rap to believe it...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 21st, 2006, 10:41 am

OMG, that's awful!!

I am officially not allowing that to make the cut! ;)

Help! We need another #88 quick!! :)

----------------------------------------------

Phil, the best part about The Gremlins reissue is the price!
http://www.amazon.com/Gremlins-Roald-Da ... F8&s=books

I bought it with the Disney Treasures 75th Anniversary Comics book - not even $21 for both!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 21st, 2006, 4:04 pm

88.) Being able to point out re-use of animation in Sword of the Stone vs. Jungle Book, Robin Hood vs. Snow White, Jungle Book vs. Winnie the Pooh (Christopher Robin's stance and Mowgli's stance)

89.) Knowing that Walt considered both The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast as potential films at one time.

90.) Knowing the names of the "rejected" Seven Dwarves (one was named "Awful")

91.) Knowing the lyrics to "Music in Your Soup."

92.) Knowing that Door Knob, a character from from the 1954 Alice and Wonderland, was never in the actual book.

93.) Knowing that ten months before Aladdin was released, the animators still hadn't completed half of it. (due to the footage being scrapped 3 times, with 3 different versions of the film.)

94.) Knowing that technically "The Prince" in Beauty and the Beast would have been a little boy ten years prior, not the adult man in the painting (unless the spell froze his aging.)

95.) Knowing that the actual Rose had a much less important part in the original Beauty fairy tale, and only symbolized the spell/time running out in the film.

96.) Knowing that Belle originally looked more proper and less sensuous in the original designes.

97.) Knowing that Sebastian was originally thought to be a foppish British butler-type crab and that Howard Ashman thought of making him Jamaican.

98.) Knowing that one of the signs that leads Maurice astray in Beauty says "Anaheim."

:wink: :)

99.) Knowing that Mowgli was voiced by Woolie Reitherman's (the director's) son.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 21st, 2006, 5:14 pm

Okay...I think we're really running out of ideas here.

A lot of that stuff is pretty common knowledge!

Can we cap this at 100 now people? :)