Animated Views Celebrity Obituary Thread

News, People and Events, including Awards, Festivals and Tributes
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 4th, 2006, 5:17 am

I woke up this morning to this on the TV.

Very, very sad. Steve was, honestly, a bit of a hero to me in the way he flew in the face of danger to explore and save the wildlife he brought to our attention in his unique way.

You really will be missed, mate. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 4th, 2006, 9:14 am

Oh, wow. That's...That's so sad. :cry:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 4th, 2006, 11:31 am

Crikey! This is just too depressing. :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 4th, 2006, 7:05 pm

It was really cute how he made an appearance in Dr. Doollittle 2. :)

He was so young, too. It's just so awful. :cry: :cry:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 5th, 2006, 5:00 pm

Hey, I just read on the news page that Irwin found a role in "Happy Feet". That's nice to know.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 5th, 2006, 6:17 pm

We watched the "Outback To Hollywood" special that he did when the movie came out and it played as a strange flashback through his life and career.

What a really straight-shooting genuine guy. I hope Bindi and Terri can keep things going and remein celebrities to carry on fighting their good causes in Steve's memory.

We're going to crack open the Collision Course movie again with some friends this weekend as our own tribute.

Crikey, he's a loss. It's impacted around the world in an amazing way. He was truly much loved by fans and even those that didn't really watch him.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 5th, 2006, 9:07 pm

He was like a big kid. So sweet, innocent and full of enthusiasm.

I still can't believe he's gone.

:(
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Tetsuro Tamba 1922-2006

Post by William » September 25th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Tetsuro Tamba, known mostly in the West as "Tiger Tanaka" in the James Bond film You Only Live Twice, but known in anime circles as the original Japanese voice of the "Cat King" in Studio Ghibli's The Cat Returns, has passed away of pneumonia at the age of 84.

http://www.tamba.ne.jp/index.html (in Japanese)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuro_Tamba

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 26th, 2006, 11:16 pm

There have been rumors of Russell Crowe playing Steve in a biopic, but Russell completely denies these rumors and says he is insulted by them:
(they were friends in real life.)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5380684.stm?ls

GeorgeC

RIP, Dave Cockrum, co-creator of New X-MEN

Post by GeorgeC » November 27th, 2006, 8:20 am

Dave Cockrum, best known as the designer of and co-creator of the New X-Men (re: international team as of Giant Size X-Men # 1 {1975}) passed away Sunday night from complications due to diabetes.

Initially, Cockrum was only the relaunched X-Men titles for the first fourteen issues (#94-#107) before being succeeded by John Byrne. Cockrum retured to do X-Men for another two years (1981-1983) before leaving to work on other projects.

Many of the concepts and character designs Cockrum pioneered made their way into movies, animated TV series, and video games. Indeed, until the mid-1990s, Cockrum's designs remained the standard for most of the X-Men characters including Colossus, Nightcrawler, and Phoenix (Jean Grey).

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=92222

Mr. Cockrum had been in ill health for years but his death comes as a blow to friends, family, and fans. It was unfortunate that his poor health prevented him from doing much, if any, comic book work for the last few years of his life. It's only recently that his efforts on X-Men were recognized by higher-ups at Marvel Comics and that financial reward was granted to Mr. Cockrum to help offset high medical costs.

In the last two years, a benefit sketchbook was also sold to help pay Cockrum's medical bills, too.

Cockrum is generally remembered as a good guy and fan-favorite at conventions.

This is a big blow to long-time comic book fans and fans of an earlier, more innocent era of comics and the X-Men in particular.

While I've preferred the Byrne era of Uncanny X-Men (108-143) to Cockrum's for as long as I can remember, I've always respected Cockrum''s contributions to the success of the comic and its spin-offs. There's no question that I VERY MUCH prefer his designs -- as funky and wild by today's standards as they may seem -- to the darker and less charismatic character designs of today.

My personal favorite comic of Cockrum's is the abruptly terminated Futurians series. That concept had potential that was never fully realized from the out-of-print graphic novel and short-lived comic (4 issues).

If only somebody could revive THAT concept and be sure that Mr. Cockrum's widow got the rightful royalties his estate would be due...

There's no question that under the terms of his Marvel work-for-hire contract that Mr. Cockrum received very little financial reward for X-Men designs and concepts that have earned Marvel Entertainment tens upon tens of millions of dollars over the past 30+ years.

GeorgeC

Shirley Walker, RIP, composer for animated heroes

Post by GeorgeC » December 1st, 2006, 1:14 am

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/30853

I know this name well.

Shirley Walker used to be Danny Elfman's scoring partner and helped him create and orchestrate music for the two Burton Batman movies and The Flash TV series. She was also the conductor in these cases.

On her own, Walker composed and conducted new music echoing Elfman's Batman scores for the 1992-1995 Batman series as well as its sequel series, The New Batman Adventures (1997-1999). In addition, she composed the main theme and provided music for Superman the Animated Series (1996-2001) as well as scoring music for Batman Beyond.

Shirley Walker was one of the few true Wonder Women in Hollywood music composition circles. She died from brain aneuryism at age 61.

It's a shame so little of the great music she composed for the animated series she worked on has made it onto CD collections. There's really a lot of great music there...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 1st, 2006, 1:17 am

Waaaaaaaaaa.....???

Now <I>this</I> is a big shock. She was brilliant and very much a decent composer in her own right.

Her score for "Memoirs Of An Invisible Man" will be playing in my car tomorrow...

This is sad. :(

GeorgeC

Martin Nodell, Green Lantern creator, RIP

Post by GeorgeC » December 10th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Martin Nodell, RIP, 1991-2006

http://www.comicon.com/pulse/

Ouch. This hits close to home.

I met Martin Nodell at three conventions and was genuinely fond and impressed by the guy. He was very nice to the fans and vigorous and alert in spite of his advanced age.

Besides creating the original Green Lantern (Alan Scott) who spawned the later Hal Jordan version, Mr. Nodell had a long advertising career where he also created the Pillsbury Dough Boy.

Nodell also worked at Marvel Comics in the 1940s on characters like Captain America. At DC, he also did artist duties on The Flash in addition to his earlier iconic creation, Green Lantern.

Nodell and his family were staples of the comic book convention circuit and made frequent appearances in Chicago and Florida conventions. Besides his recently departed wife, Nodell's son would also show up to assist his parents on cons when he could. They were all-around a nice group of folks and a good family.

I'm going to miss Martin Nodell... At least I got to tell him how I appreciated his work and what it meant to me.

Vaya con Dios, Marty. Say hello to your wife, Carrie, and be at peace.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 10th, 2006, 7:59 pm

Oh no...:(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 11th, 2006, 12:02 am

The first time I met Mr. Nodell was at an Orlando comic convention (probably the Megacon). I asked him to sign my copy of All Star Archives Vol. 1, then asked Shelly Moldolff to do the same just a few minutes later. That book is now priceless to me. Sigh. Another legend has passed...