Batman Begins

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 11th, 2006, 11:23 pm

I thought I read a story in Entertainment Weekly a long time ago saying that they were that lenghth. :wink: :oops:

Well, anyway, they are longer than before and they show a whole lot of stuff. Notice that the Batman '89 trailer didn't show too much of the Joker, or any vital scenes--him falling into the acid, destroying the art, shocking the guy with his hand buzzer. Nowadays they definetely would have shown those parts. At least I think so. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 12th, 2006, 1:05 am

Here's the original Robin storyboard sequence (which was taken out of course) from the Batman DVD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BknHApJ ... ed&search=

Funny how they used Kevin Conroy as Bats and Mark Hammill as the Joker...I guess Keaton and Nicholson declined. :roll:

I'm glad they didn't include this one in the final film , as it totally screws around with Robin's origin.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 12th, 2006, 11:36 am

Hey Vi,

Can you stop posting all this copyrighted material please?

Rare stuff fair enough, but the trailers and clips you seem to be leaning on are all content ripped from their respective DVDs.

Thanks! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 12th, 2006, 2:03 pm

Sorry. :oops:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 16th, 2006, 8:07 pm

Question: Who do you like better as the Joker: Jack Nicolson or Mark Hamill?

A lot of people consider Jack the canonical, definitive Joker but there are other hard-core fans who feel that his performance was over-the-top, hammy and extremely self-indulgent.

Many feel Hamill is the "true" Joker as opposed to Nicholson.

Although I think Hamill did an excellent job in B:TAS and gave a tremendous performance in BB: Return of the Joker, I have to say I prefer Nicholson. He was, after all, the genesis of all those comic-book film villains that so many have tried to copy. He blended cartoonish exhuberance with deadly serious psychosis; no easy feat. The performance could very easily have gone wrong, but the general consensus is that it didn't.

How about you? Who's your favorite Joker?

(If you liked Caesar Romero best or someone from one of the old serials, just say so! :wink: )
Last edited by ShyViolet on October 14th, 2006, 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 16th, 2006, 8:50 pm

Hamill also made a great Trickster! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 16th, 2006, 9:31 pm

Nicholson did well, but was really too old and too chubby to be the Joker, IMO. The Joker was always a lanky guy in the comics, not a middle-aged guy with a spare tire.

Mark was pretty good as the Joker, and I would have enjoyed seeing him get a shot at a live-action version. Alas, it shall never be.

Ledger? Wow, I'm just not sure. It makes me wonder what this Joker will be like, but I trust the creators based on Batman Begins. I'm actually kind of glad they didn't just go for a zany comedian type.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 17th, 2006, 6:51 am

That'll be for the Riddler! ;)

I think Jack would have been excellent around 1980 - imagine The Shining's Jack as Jack/Joker (that's a lot of Jacks!) and you'd be on to something there. I think that's what they wanted, but by the time the film came around to rolling, all that success had made its way to Nicholson's tummy!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 18th, 2006, 2:35 pm

I think Jack would have been excellent around 1980 - imagine The Shining's Jack as Jack/Joker (that's a lot of Jacks!) and you'd be on to something there.
That's an idea. That "Heeeeeeeeeere's Johnny!" face would have been perfect! :)

all that success had made its way to Nicholson's tummy!
Yeah, he looked pretty fat in that scene where he's "ballroom dancing" with Vickie Vale in the Cathedral. :roll: :P
Last edited by ShyViolet on October 14th, 2006, 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 29th, 2006, 10:09 pm

Ledger? Wow, I'm just not sure. It makes me wonder what this Joker will be like, but I trust the creators based on Batman Begins. I'm actually kind of glad they didn't just go for a zany comedian type.

I still kind of wish it was Paul Bettany--he was quite scary in The Da Vinci Code. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 6th, 2006, 6:46 pm

I was watching the 1989 Batman yesterday...still a very fun film even after 17 years. (!!) :)

I still think Michael Keaton did a fantastic job. If you had to pick, who do you think's better:

Keaton or Bale?

Bale was awesome ten times over, but to me Keaton will always be Batman...(first role I ever saw him do.) :wink: [/b]

(Funny how each film dealt with the question of Batman's motives....in Begins there's all these long speeches of why Bruce became Batman, but Keaton only says: "It's just something I have to do." Why? "Because nobody else can.")

Interesting.... :)
Last edited by ShyViolet on October 14th, 2006, 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 7th, 2006, 9:21 am

Keaton hands down. Especially in "Returns".

Bale's screamy/shouting in a whisper thing he had going on made me crack up in the theater.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 7th, 2006, 5:48 pm

Bale's screamy/shouting in a whisper thing he had going on made me crack up in the theater.
Ha ha, me too. :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 8th, 2006, 12:52 am

Yeah, on this one Begins fanfiction site I go to sometimes, someone has an avatar with Bale as Bats and the words "Swear to me, b****!"

:lol:

Keaton hands down. Especially in "Returns".

I agree! :) Especially the last few scenes with Selena and Shreck.

It's great because he does a wonderful job as Batman AND Bruce Wayne. He gives new dimensions to both.

Also, I love when you first see him with the shadow of the Batsignal early in the film. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 8th, 2006, 1:01 am

Plus I actually like the part when Bruce says to Joker in Bats 1: "You wanna get nuts? C'mon, let's get nuts!" It's totally unexpected and shows you how in some ways Bruce is as screwed up as the Joker.

But I don't get this: at the end of that scene in Vickie's apartment, does Bruce faint or something? Why the heck was he lying on the floor like that next to Vickie's fireplace? :?: