DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 12th, 2006, 10:16 am

As an amateur film critic (hoping to be professional someday), here's my review: Personally, I liked SR. I have to admit I was a little let down that there wasn't any action on the scale of the "Super Disasters" from the Donner film, but overall I thought it was a very enjoyable outing. Before we went in to see it, I predicted to my friends that Brandon Routh would make a passable Superman but a really excellent Clark Kent and I think that's the case. I knew going in that it was supposed to replace Superman III and IV, but I was surprised at how much of a sequel it actually was.
For instance, the plot point about Jason being Superman's son. If you haven't seen Superman II to know that Lois and Supes were an item briefly (and guess from that that they must have consumated their relationship at some point) you're not going to fully understand that part of the story.
I can see where a lot of people might not like it and that it probably won't perform as well as hoped at the box office (even if it makes enough to be considered a success), but I don't think it's as bad as the haters make it out to be. I'd give it 3 1/2 stars out of five (by comparison, I'd give Cars a 4 1/2 and X-Men a 3). By my standards, a rating of 3 or 3 1/2 means that I enjoyed it and I'll get the dvd but there is most definately room for improvement.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 12th, 2006, 8:01 pm

Kind of random but...How much do you guys think Clark Kents' glasses from the '78 version would go on Ebay?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 12th, 2006, 9:10 pm

Probably a lot. But how much more would Clark Kent's glasses from the 50's show be worth??

This movie was excellent, but the intelligent story might leave it prey to Spidey 2 syndrome--too good for it's own good. :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 12th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Here's a really great Supes review:

http://filmfreakcentral.net/screenrevie ... eturns.htm

:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » July 13th, 2006, 1:00 am

That's a good article. Maybe I'll go see SR a third time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 13th, 2006, 11:21 am

This might sound weird but....I think Routh deserves at least an Oscar or Golden Globe nom. Or some kind of honorable mention. Does anyone agree? :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 13th, 2006, 12:27 pm

I haven't seen the movie yet, so I can't respond to that question, Vi. :) However, I thought some of you might be interested in this news:
United Press International wrote:Movie industry insiders say Warner Bros. Pictures will not consider a Superman sequel unless Superman Returns tops $200 million in the United States.
The word was also reported on E! News. The noted article further mentions that should a sequel be made, its budget will be limited to $150 million.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 13th, 2006, 1:54 pm

Commenting on a few posts here...

1) Kent's 1978 specs - are you saying you have a pair...???

2) Routh won't be in any performance runnings, me don't thinks, although he may get some kind of fan award for being a newcomer.

3) I can see that a Supes sequel is very much based on its takings, but it should limp to $200 domestic.

In fact, I just heard through the grapevine (though it may be news in the wide wide world) that Singer has just officially turned down his "Logan's Run" project to concentrate directly on a follow-up right now. The budget for this one also had to take into account the ridiculous amount spent on all the abandoned versions.

Also, no doubt that a lot of time/money can now be saved since technologies adapted for this film as well as set design and possibly some builds that they can hold over would mean that a sequel would automatically costs less anyway. By all accounts, a second film would probably do better at the box office as well, since this often seems to be the case now with these such films (Austin Powers, Shrek, Lord Of The Rings, X-Men, Spider-Man, Pirates, etc)...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » July 13th, 2006, 3:29 pm

Kent's 1978 specs - are you saying you have a pair...???
My grandparents do. I was just kind of wondering, y'know? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 13th, 2006, 3:53 pm

2) Routh won't be in any performance runnings, me don't thinks, although he may get some kind of fan award for being a newcomer.
Did Christopher Reeve get any mention when he played Clark?
My grandparents do. I was just kind of wondering, y'know? Wink
Wow, that's actually pretty awesome.... :)

BTW Ben will you be seeing Cars when it comes to England in two weeks? :wink: Just curious.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 13th, 2006, 3:58 pm

The budget for this one also had to take into account the ridiculous amount spent on all the abandoned versions.
According to that Agony Booth article, it was about 50 million dollars in wasted preproduction costs. :roll:

And this is where the film is at now. Just for laughs, I calculated how much this thing's going to cost if it ever gets released (the wasted $50 million in pre-production and $75 million marketing plan have to be included). If this turkey ever gets off the ground, it's going to cost WB $320-390 million to make it.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 13th, 2006, 4:10 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Did Christopher Reeve get any mention when he played Clark?
He won a BAFTA, which is often referred to as the British Oscar, for "Best Newcomer." He also got an Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films nomination for "Best Actor."

Info courtesy of the IMDB.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 13th, 2006, 4:10 pm

Thanks! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 13th, 2006, 6:05 pm

Mick beat me to it (though he had to look it up!) ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » July 13th, 2006, 9:41 pm

I thought he won a "Best Newcomer" BAFTA. However, I wanted to make sure. :)