DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 26th, 2006, 1:10 pm

Time (why the caps??) is preety hard on movies, but when you're part of a much bigger company who has a LOT riding on this movie, they can be a bit more forgiving! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 26th, 2006, 4:40 pm

I've read some stuff about Superman over the weekend, (mostly from movie magazines like Total Film) and there was one interesting comment that even though Chris Reeve was just about the age Brandon Routh is now when he played Superman, Brandon Routh looks much younger, almost like a boy. ("Superboy"?) Like an adolescent, not a really a man yet.

I think this is partly due to Routh's generation and young actors today looking much younger then their predecessors did (even at the same age).
So much emphasis nowadays is on youth and media exposure, that thirty year old actors look twenty.

Case in Point: Did you know Julia Roberts was 21 when she was in Pretty Woman?

Also, Mia Farrow was only 21 in Rosemary's Baby.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 27th, 2006, 4:10 pm

Hot dog, the movie comes out tomorrow! It may be a while before I can see it, though I can't wait to!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 27th, 2006, 4:55 pm

Cool avatar WJ. :wink:

BTW, Supes Returns is almost three hours long! It seems like a lot of films are doing that nowadays. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 28th, 2006, 1:16 am

Just got back from seeing it. I've got to say I don't see how anybody could not enjoy this movie. As for the length, it really does not feel that long. I watched the first two Superman films over the weekend, and if you can do it before you do so. You'll appreciate all the more the little nods and respect shown the original.

BTW - I'm moving this thread from "News Submissions" to "Theatrical Features"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 28th, 2006, 8:47 am

Gonna try and catch it today...Lookin' foward to it! I've been on a SuperMan high all week, reading the comics and wathcing the cartoons and stuff.

Oh yeah, is the Spidey 3 teaser in front of it?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 28th, 2006, 10:29 am

I've been hearing that myself! The teaser trailer's on the internet already, but I'm gonna wait and try to catch it at "Superman Returns".

I probably won't see it until next week, so I'll have to stay away from this thread until then. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bullwinkle » June 28th, 2006, 10:56 am

to what do you guys think of Superman Returns

i going to watch it on friday

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 28th, 2006, 2:22 pm

BTW - I'm moving this thread from "News Submissions" to "Theatrical Features"
Yeah...that makes more sense. :wink:

I think this movie will be cool. I also like how the pictures and ads splice together images of Chris Reeve with Brandon Routh, very respectful to Reeve and also showing that this is more of a "continuation" of Supes rather than a...(*shudder*) "re-imagining." :roll:

Tim Burton, are you listening? (J/K) :wink: :twisted:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 28th, 2006, 2:54 pm

Listened to the soundtrack online at the weekend.

Superman: The Movie is on TV tonight.
Superman II is on TV tomorrow night.

Arrrrggghhhh - have to wait to July 14 to see him Return!!

With ads and such I can see how the run time creeps up, but it's actual movie length is a good and decent 2 1/2 hours, around the same length as the original's Donner special edition cut.

Two weeks to go...grrrrrrrr.... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 28th, 2006, 3:57 pm

Hey Ben, are you gonna go see Cars too? :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 28th, 2006, 4:05 pm

My show is prepping and shooting during July so theater visits are limited.

I have still to see The Wild and X3 and will probably miss a few others I want to see this summer, but so is the way with production.

Apart from Superman, which I have in my contract to have time off to see, I think I'll be picking up a LOT of movies later in the year on DVD and watching them in my home theater. :( :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 28th, 2006, 4:10 pm

I have still to see The Wild and X3
I'd wait for X3 on DVD. :wink: :roll:

I think I'll be picking up a LOT of movies later in the year on DVD and watching them in my home theater. Sad Smile
Make sure to have some good snacks. :wink:

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 28th, 2006, 5:25 pm

Saw Superman Returns today.

Definitely not bad.

My mother liked it because of the "human touch." That was definitely a saving grace with the first two Superman movies, two, and was exactly what the Batman (live-action) movies were missing in abundance.

The sneak peek trailer for Spider-Man 3 is also playing at most theaters today in front of SR. SM3 looks like next year's big film, too. Could possibly be the best Spidey yet.

The only sad thing about Superman Returns is that it's really the only big/must-see film I had to watch this summer.

There just isn't anything else coming out that interests me. Even the next few animated films look bleh.

Had no personal interest in Cars so I'll probably wait to see that one, too.

I'll say this for Singer and his writers -- as unoriginal and slavishly faithful to the first two Superman movies that they were, they at least picked the right notes to play with and got emotional impact out of them.

If they hadn't gotten at least that much right, there's no way this film would be a hit. As it stands, it'll be the biggest hit of the year (probably) although it won't really make any money until it hits home video and cable...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 29th, 2006, 1:56 pm

The sneak peek trailer for Spider-Man 3 is also playing at most theaters today in front of SR.
AAAAAAAGGGH!! :x

I saw it last night. I was very good - although the ending was very WTF-worthy.