DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 21st, 2006, 8:32 pm

I watched the QuickTime HD thingy on my PC.

Olsen's head was big enough...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 21st, 2006, 9:43 pm

I don't have the Quicktime HD thingy...

In fact, it took me about an hour and a half to download the trailer in "Normal" QT the other day.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 23rd, 2006, 12:55 pm

According to that Agony Booth article the whole "gay Jimmy" thing appeared in an earlier version of the script when it was still under Peters, Abrams and McG:
6. A dialogue scene at The Daily Planet implies that Jimmy Olsen—a horny skirt-chaser in the comic books—is gay, as Abrams describes him as "effeminate" and Perry White rags on him for having a boyfriend.
I have no problem with a character being gay, but I don't think they should have changed his persona like that.

:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Loiosh » May 23rd, 2006, 2:30 pm

My friend's terrible reluctance to partake in what is unquestionably American idealism thrown upon an eighty-foot screen provides a great deal of amusement for me. His reasons, I suspect, deviate from Ben's. He feels that you just cannot have another Superman on film after Christopher Reeves.

I trust in Bryan Singar's love of the characters and genré. I feel after X-Men one and two that he proved himself a quality director. I will grant him the benefit of my doubt when it comes to seeing a movie about such an iconic character.

As for my personal opinion, showing the hefty physics of what force is required to stop a plane from falling gives me shivers. I look forward to an updated take on physics, and my personal flaw, REALLY SHINY EFFECTS AND LOUD SOUNDS. =)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 23rd, 2006, 4:06 pm

Kind of funny because Christopher Reeve personally approved of Brandon Routh taking over as Superman.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 23rd, 2006, 4:21 pm

Even if Christopher Reeve was alive and well, he wouldn't have the role now. He'd be too old.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Loiosh » May 23rd, 2006, 4:50 pm

He's a passionately opinionated person. I, of course, will see it. It's a Singer movie!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 26th, 2006, 2:38 pm

For the record, I must say that I don't think I ever said that there shouldn't be another Superman film...in fact I welcome it if it's done right, Reeve or no Reeve. There were Supermen before him, and they'll still be coming after Routh hangs up the cape too.

In the meantime, the new international trailer has brought back a bit of excitement for me with SR.

I'm getting over what's "wrong" with the movie and taking it more for what it is. With that in mind, the new trailer goes some way to rebuilding the anticipation I had at the start of the year.

The new pieces of Ottman score, though, sound rough...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 26th, 2006, 10:47 pm

I hear there's a new trailer playing at "X-Men 3" that's not, I repeat, NOT on the internet (at posting time anyway). They had better be playing it at my local theater, or I'm gonna....

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 27th, 2006, 8:35 pm

I think it may just be the international one that's started playing everywhere.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 27th, 2006, 11:46 pm

That's what I thought, until...

http://www.superherohype.com/news/super ... hp?id=4297

http://www.superherohype.com/news/super ... hp?id=4300

Mind you, I didn't read the full trailer description, so no one spoil it for me without warning, okay? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 28th, 2006, 4:44 am

Hubba hubba!

That IS an entirely new trailer...I hope it's not a case of too much too soon, since WB should have been hyping the heck outta this since January.

Ho-hum, however...this new one, which I looked at from the second link you posted, is GREAT!!

FINALLY I am getting truly stocked again. Still unsure on Jimmy (who's not in this new trailer) and Langella's Perry White is still too soft (where's the archetypal gruff newspaper editor?), but Routh finally starts "acting", sounding more and more like Reeve (even if he doesn't look like him),

Maybe this was Singer and WB's grand plan all along...to release better and better quality material as the date neared, and build interest that way. Funny that this new, much more seriously-geared to the comic book geek crowd trailer is playing on the front of Singer's old franchise!

(That all said...Ottman's score does sound boring generic - no classic Williams this time around - and Routh does look a bit lame ripping that shirt off...look at his expression..."duh, I'm, like, Superman, I guess", but there are tons of other more successful shots that make me think that there's either a reason for this or that one half-baked shot won't ruin the movie).

There is much hope restored. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 30th, 2006, 1:50 pm

"duh, I'm, like, Superman, I guess"
LOL! :)

That kinda reminds me of how my friend made fun of Keanu Reeves in Dracula: "Dude, I'm like totally British!"
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 30th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Here's a link to the new trailer in a better quality format:

[url=hhttp://us.rd.yahoo.com/movies/exclusive/warnerbros/supermanreturns/quicktime/?http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/ ... rnsqt.html]Yahoo Movies[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 30th, 2006, 4:55 pm

BTW here's some useless trivia: Frank Langella (Perry White in SR) also played Skeletor in that Masters of the Universe movie from 1987. :wink: