Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » May 17th, 2006, 9:43 pm

WHAT ITS OUT?!?!?!?
*runs to disney store and buys everything "cars" related*
yessssss....
~a-G *wink*
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: I'd rather be way out there beyond this hidden town, Barnaby.

Post by PixarVixen » May 17th, 2006, 9:45 pm

I never said anything that wasn't, Brandon. XP

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]
[size=75]avatar by Robert Iza[/size]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » May 17th, 2006, 9:47 pm

uh oh oreo. :O
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » May 17th, 2006, 9:51 pm

I'm eating Oreos right now. LOL Ohh yeeaah, we are way off-topic now.

~~=oP
[img]http://i539.photobucket.com/albums/ff356/PixarVixen/sigs/SyndromeOlympictoss.jpg[/img]
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » May 17th, 2006, 9:58 pm

yum-o! i love uh oh oreos the best thoguh :P
Nowww back to topic...
whew its so close but so far away! (icoulnt think of anything) ^_~
~a-G :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » May 17th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Heheh. That's ok. ^__~

I picked out my Cars WP outfit today. I bought a second pair of pants with Dash on them that I can wear. The whole pair shows him running through the jungle. And then I'll wear a black tank top and Incredibles arm bands.

I'm wearing Incredibles apparel rather than Cars because I wanna show my support for my favorite Pixar movie, and if Brad's there, I want him to know I'm a fan. :)

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 18th, 2006, 7:50 am

Keep in mind there's gonna be 30,000 other people there....;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 18th, 2006, 7:56 am

Pictures! We need pictures! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 18th, 2006, 11:58 am

I don't blame Pixar for not making their films musicals. Toy Story first came out when people were starting to get bored with musicals - remember in 'Dream On, Silly Dreamer', when Deja is talking with a woman about Hunchback of Notre Dame, and she grimaces and asks him, "Is it going to be a musical?".
Toy Story came out in 1995, just one year after the monster hit Lion King, (a musical) and the same year as Pocahontas, a musical as well which did pretty well as I recall, even if not as good as LK. I don't think people were really bored with musicals yet.

I agree that the musicals after Pocahontas were inferior in quality to their predecessors--this definetely had something to do with it. But Pixar had a lot to do with it too...in my opinon. Mulan (even though I wasn't crazy about the film) had some very, very good songs in it, and the film did pretty well, especially compared to Hercules. But that same year, A Bug's Life trampled it. Not to mention The Prince of Egypt, (When You Believe got the Oscar) which also did well, but not anywhere near Bug's Life. Or Toy Story 2, one year later.

Like I said before this isn't Pixar's "fault" but they DO NOT like musicals.
And Gnomeo was going to have songs by Elton John--very "Lion King" reminiscent. They probably thought "no way", as soon as they heard that.
Plus a love story, which they do not like either.

This is from a message board which took an excerpt from Harry McCracken's website (animation fan and editor of PC world magazine.)

He visited Pixar and interviewed some of the leading artists.
The next speaker was Andrew Stanton, the writer and director of Finding Nemo--a thoroughly engaging guy who gave a talk on his work and the Pixar way in general. He ...outlined five rules that the company developed when creating Toy Story:

1) No Songs
2) No "I Want" Moment
3) No Happy Village
4) No Love Story
5) No Villain

Stanton mentioned that at one point, Disney brought in a famous lyricist (apparently Tim Rice) as a consultant on the project, and he recommended that the studio add songs, an "I Want Moment," a happy village, a love story, and a villain.
Take out all those things and you have...a Pixar film. Not to mention every other cute animal/funny sidekicks/gags/action adventure pic from the last eight years. Of course Pixar does it much better than a lot of others, because they were the ones who started the whole trend. I'm not knocking it. It's a good trend. But to go back to the classic Disney of the past, you've got to look at what it was that Pixar did, (or more accurately didn't do) and what they chose not to embrace.

And "no villain", for me that is a real problem. I still don't know who the villain is in Cars. Does anyone else? This not a jab, just an honest question.

:wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » May 18th, 2006, 12:20 pm

Meg wrote:Keep in mind there's gonna be 30,000 other people there....;)
*sighs* I know, but Brandon figures that most of them will be parents who think their kids will have fun and race car fans. Only a fraction of the people there will be hardcore Pixar fans, and we'll be 2 of them! ^__~
Ben wrote:Pictures! We need pictures! ;)
Oh...there will be pictures. ;) I'll make sure of that.

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 18th, 2006, 3:25 pm

You'd BETTER take them...or else...I will ignore your posts. >:O

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » May 18th, 2006, 3:33 pm

Like I said before this isn't Pixar's "fault" but they DO NOT like musicals.
And Gnomeo was going to have songs by Elton John--very "Lion King" reminiscent. They probably thought "no way", as soon as they heard that.
Plus a love story, which they do not like either.
I'm sorry, but just because Pixar doesn't do musicals and love stories doesn't mean they don't like them. If they made an animated movie that was a musical love story with a villain, an 'I want' thing and a happy village, it would be a Disney movie. Pixar doesn't make Disney movies, they make Pixar moves! Sure, Gnomeo isn't going to be under the Disney name anymore, but IMHO the whole story sounds just plain weird. And how about Rupunzel and Enchanted? They're going to be musical love stories but I don't see Lasseter and co. trying to change that.

Again, I'm sorry, but ragging on Pixar movies for not being Disney movies seems a bit silly.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PixarVixen » May 18th, 2006, 3:34 pm

Fine! Be like that! XP

JK ;)

~~=oP
[b]I ♥ Tony Rydinger[/b]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » May 18th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Is it really a bad thing that Gnomeo left Disney??? I really feel like that it can get the treatment that this story deserves at its new home. After all isn't story king? Many great movies weren't made to be Disney movies or Pixar movies and would have suffered under their direction or formula, just like many Disney or Pixar movies would have suffere under the direction of another movie company simply because that's not the kind of movies they make.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 18th, 2006, 5:09 pm

It didn't leave Disney. It will just be issued by their Miramax division (like Roger Rabbit and Nightmare went out through Touchstone).