Official Star Wars Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 9th, 2006, 7:59 pm

"I don't get how anyone can't see that it's just to make more money. Demand??"

I don't think they would've been released if nobody requested them. The differences in the special editions aren't that big of a deal to me. Most people complain about it so they can fancy themselves purists.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 10th, 2006, 12:11 pm

Yeah, there's demand of course.

BUT...if he were TRULY faithful to himself as an artist who believes his work wasn't finished then...why release them, as he previously said he would never do??

Money. Moolah. Cash. Coin in the bank.

I'd like to think he could stick to his guns, but GL turned to the Dark Side and sold out a long, long time ago...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 10th, 2006, 12:41 pm

I think he's got to the point where whatever profits he might personally make from it couldn't be that big of a difference to him. You can say somebody is only motivated by money and it's one of those allegations nobody could ever disprove because every one of us needs some sort of cash flow.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 10th, 2006, 1:58 pm

Well, okay...

But those 3D versions of the films have to be paid for by someone, and who's to say that the extra $100m or so guranteed from selling the original versions won't go a long way towards doing that?

If there's one thing you learn from working in this industry, it's that everything is money motivated, especially when its an idependent producer - however big he is - like Lucas.

When you have that much tied up with your own personal fortune, it all counts. So if he can make some extra on original Star Wars DVDs, that's money in the bank and therefore less he has to shell out himself on new projects.

And why is he issuing these discs now?? Because if he waits any longer, he'll miss the boat on standard DVD while we all wait for Hi-Def to sort itself out. This is his last chance to squeeze the very last drop out of the OT on standard DVD - the re-issue pf the box set last year didn't do much business, so this is his last play.

Then, it'll start all over again, as it did with VHS, LD and now DVD, in the next gen format. The 30th anniversary theatrical re-issues in 3D. The HD versions on disc, double dips with newer footage, a complete 6- movie set, then the originals again, then a way to get 3D in the home...the list will keep going on and on and on...

Star Wars is Lucas' cash cow. He fobbed off the fans long ago and does this now only because it guarantees him money. Yes, demand is there, but would he feel the artist's vision to continue with all of this if the well dried up?

I DON'T THINK SO! :)

And don't get me started on all this "delving deep into the Lucas vaults" nonesense...LucasFilm is known throughout the industry to have one of the very best inventory systems, second only to Disney's own.

It is...purely business.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 10th, 2006, 3:02 pm

Ben wrote:But those 3D versions of the films have to be paid for by someone, and who's to say that the extra $100m or so guranteed from selling the original versions won't go a long way towards doing that?
That's what people want. If people feel like they are getting a good return on their money then what's the issue?
Ben wrote:And why is he issuing these discs now?? Because if he waits any longer, he'll miss the boat on standard DVD while we all wait for Hi-Def to sort itself out. This is his last chance to squeeze the very last drop out of the OT on standard DVD - the re-issue pf the box set last year didn't do much business, so this is his last play.
I don't need them.
Ben wrote:Star Wars is Lucas' cash cow. He fobbed off the fans long ago and does this now only because it guarantees him money. Yes, demand is there, but would he feel the artist's vision to continue with all of this if the well dried up?

I DON'T THINK SO! :)
So he's damned if he gives fans what they want and damned if he doesn't.
Ben wrote:It is...purely business.
When it can be proven that George Lucas is the only person on this planet trying to make money then the allegation of how "he's just doing it for the money" will mean something. Like Disney he is a big target and it's very easy for people to ascribe every evil in the world to them.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 10th, 2006, 4:08 pm

No evil...just good business sense!

Let's move on, shall we... you're mind is obviously clouded and you're missing some of my points... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 10th, 2006, 5:18 pm

At first you were making good business sense sound bad. I buy the Star Wars things I want and don't buy the Star Wars things I don't want.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 10th, 2006, 6:10 pm

No...I was trying to say that these being released are not because GL has thought "awwe, those poor fans who want the originals, let's give 'em to 'em" but because there is money to be made.

Good business sense is always good, if not for the right reasons!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 10th, 2006, 6:36 pm

It may be a truism to point it out though. Every DVD sold by any company is at least partly for the purpose of making money. I fail to see how the Star Wars issue is any different. Many purists chose not to buy the last set in order to hold out for "the real thing" and they had that prerogative. Nobody is forced into anything.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 10th, 2006, 11:54 pm

So he's damned if he gives fans what they want and damned if he doesn't.
It's debatable when was the last time he actually "gave fans what they want."

:roll:

Oh yeah for those who have HBO, Revenge of the Sith is coming soon! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 11th, 2006, 2:56 am

It's debatable when was the last time he actually "gave fans what they want."
In this thread we are talking about the original editions of the classic trilogy films. When he wouldn't release those on DVD fans got mad but now that he is they say he's just doing it for money. So they will always find a way to complain.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 11th, 2006, 7:33 am

ShyViolet wrote:It's debatable when was the last time he actually "gave fans what they want." :roll:
True, Vi, very true...

BTW, Sith is also coming to Sky in the UK in HD for the first time. I'm not at all excited by this, but thought it companion news to the HBO comment.

-------------------

Okay...my final comment to Chris... you're missing my point entirely.

GL said he "would never" issue the original versions again. That they would continually be updated and each time they were released would be the definitive versions at that point.

Now, depsite demand, a TRUE visionary artist would stick to his guns and stay true to his vision, and we would never see the original trilogy again, as much as we hated that.

I don't see why GL does not stick to his plans...he obviously wants to keep tinkering with SWOT until they are practially living films in his living room, but at least he should stick to his plans...

But, hey, money talks and ******* walks! I love the "spin" that this is being done for the fans, all of which have been taken in by this.

Ask GL to delay this release until NEXT Christmas. Wonder if he'd still be "for the fans" then??

---------------------

Over and out! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » May 11th, 2006, 11:43 am

Now, depsite demand, a TRUE visionary artist would stick to his guns and stay true to his vision, and we would never see the original trilogy again, as much as we hated that.
I realize what you said but fans complained about that too. It's in the nature of Star Wars fans to complain about anything George Lucas does. Once he changed his mind on this matter they only changed the nature of their complaint. And I'm not entirely sure he ever claimed for himself the status of "visionary artist" so I don't know if he's held to all the rules that people have in their heads for visionary artists to follow. But . . . if fans claim for him that status then they should accept the decisions he makes trusting that their vision is not as great as his.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 11th, 2006, 2:47 pm

Ben wrote:Over and out! :)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 11th, 2006, 4:14 pm

Hmmmm. I tempted to mention how much I like grapes....
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."