"The Wild"

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 18th, 2006, 5:45 pm

That's different W&G and CR was more of a Aardman Animation film not a Dreamworks film.

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 18th, 2006, 5:48 pm

ShyViolet wrote:Well, Chicken Run and Wallace and Gromit were both DW weren't they? :wink: They produced and distributed those films, and Katzenberg flew back and forth to Bristol to check on their progress. Flushed Away is also DW. (being animated at DW Glendale studio although Aardman is basically calling the shots on it.)

There is actually still talk here and there of Tortoise and the Hare finally coming to fruition one day, once the story is straightend out. It may or may not be CGI but it will probably duplicate that Aardman stop motion "look." (at least that's my impression)
That's different, W&G and CR were more of Aardman animated films not a Dreamworks film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 18th, 2006, 6:01 pm

DW put up the money for it and distributed it; that shows they believed in the medium. Katzenberg was also a consultant on the films, although Nick Park mostly had artistic freedom. Because the W and G DVDs didn't sell well, it was DW that suffered.

Flushed Away is also more of a collaberation than the others. It might be supervised by Aardman but it's being animated at DreamWorks. Also Bibo Bergeron, who's been with DW forever, is a story artist I believe.

IMDB Chicken Run Credits:

Writing credits
Peter Lord (story) &
Nick Park (story)

Karey Kirkpatrick (screenplay)

Kelly Asbury additional story
Mark Burton additional dialogue
Cody Cameron additional story
Randy Cartwright additional story
Brenda Chapman additional story
Jurgen Gross additional story
Vicky Jenson additional story (as Vicki Jenson)
Robert Koo additional story
Serguei Kouchnerov additional story
Damien Neary additional story
John O'Farrell additional dialogue
Simon Wells additional story
Catherine Yuh additional story

Cast (in credits order)verified as complete
Phil Daniels .... Fetcher (voice)
Lynn Ferguson .... Mac (voice)
Mel Gibson .... Rocky (voice)
Tony Haygarth .... Mr. Tweedy (voice)
Jane Horrocks .... Babs (voice)
Miranda Richardson .... Mrs. Tweedy (voice)
Julia Sawalha .... Ginger (voice)
Timothy Spall .... Nick (voice)
Imelda Staunton .... Bunty (voice)
Benjamin Whitrow .... Fowler (voice)
John Sharian .... Circus Man (voice)
Jo Allen .... Additional Chicken (voice)
Lisa Kay .... Additional Chicken (voice)
Laura Strachan .... Additional Chicken (voice)

Produced by
Jacky Chrisp .... assistant producer
Jake Eberts .... executive producer
Jeffrey Katzenberg .... executive producer
Peter Lord .... producer
Nick Park .... producer
Michael Rose .... executive producer
Carla Shelley .... line producer
David Sproxton .... producer
Lenny Young .... associate producer

Original Music by
Harry Gregson-Williams
John Powell

All the people I highlighted are DreamWorks people, not Aardman.

Sorry to get off topic. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 18th, 2006, 6:30 pm

ShyViolet wrote:DW put up the money for it and distributed it; that shows they believed in the medium. Katzenberg was also a consultant on the films, although Nick Park mostly had artistic freedom. Because the W and G DVDs didn't sell well, it was DW that suffered.

Flushed Away is also more of a collaberation than the others. It might be supervised by Aardman but it's being animated at DreamWorks. Also Bibo Bergeron, who's been with DW forever, is a story artist I believe.
Simon Wells is good but the rest suck, mostly Jeffery Katzenberg, haven't you heard, like Eisner teh dude's pretty much hated.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 18th, 2006, 6:34 pm

To add...

Karey was brought in by DWs to input some American sensibility... You could even argue that Gregson-Williams and Powell were DWs chosen and preferred animation composers.

Flushed Away was being animated by the folks at Aardman in Bristol, England. I believe that a second unit has been set up at DWs Glendale in order to meet the release date this fall.

---------------------------------

Back to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which I'm surprised none of you picked up on, as it's NOT RANDOM AT ALL.

Spaz's point, I think, was that it is a generally well regarded familiy favorite nowadays, but was a bomb on original release. Kinda like what I think he hopes The Wild will be like in years to come...

To that end, I loved Fantasia, Bambi, Willy Wonka, Shawshank Redemption et al...they were all "flops" in initial release.

---------------------------------------

On a second point, and directed at Movie-Man... I think you need to go check a lot of your "facts"... Disney/Pixar have never been rivals and have had friendly relations since the mid-1980s.

Welcome to the boards though! :)
Last edited by Ben on April 18th, 2006, 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 18th, 2006, 6:36 pm

Ben wrote:On a second point, and directed at Movie-Man... I think you need to go check a lot of your "facts"... Disney/Pixar have never been rivals and have had friendly relations since the mid-1980s.

Welcome to the boards though! :)
I was talking about the Disney/Dreamworks rivalry.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 18th, 2006, 6:41 pm

Movie-Man wrote:Simon Wells is good but the rest suck, mostly Jeffery Katzenberg, haven't you heard, like Eisner teh dude's pretty much hated.
Oh, I know for a fact that ShyVi won't agree with you there. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 18th, 2006, 7:04 pm

Spaz's point, I think, was that it is a generally well regarded familiy favorite nowadays, but was a bomb on original release. Kinda like what I think he hopes The Wild will be like in years to come...
Oh, I see what you mean...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 18th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Oh, I know for a fact that ShyVi won't agree with you there.
Yeah, well, I won't take up too much time with this....look, all I'll say is that most of what's been said about him just isn't true....it's all Internet rumors and BS. Stories go around and become fact....they aren't though.
99% of the people who talk trash about JK on the Internet have never worked for him or dealt with him in any way. I don't want to go on and on on this, but I know it's much easier to root for the supposed "little guy" studio like Pixar, rather than the studio that's owned by that rich businessman who's not even an animator, so he must hate animation and all he cares about is money....not true, not true, not true. DW artists, by and large, don't feel this way. It's mostly fanboys and rival animators who hate JK but have absolutely nothing to back up their claims. (No offense, just making a general statement) I'll just say that before the Survey Hell poll on the worst VFX/animation studio was pulled, only 1% of the users voted for DW.

I think it's mostly a cultural thing...because he's technically an executive, Katzenberg is immediately perceived as "evil" by some....maybe it's those suits....or maybe he just isn't what people think an arist/animator should look like. Hey, maybe if he wore Hawaiin shirts, rode around on a scooter and had a big collection of vintage toys, (how do you know he doesn't? :wink: ) you think the animation community would warm up a little?

Probably not, but who knows? :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » April 18th, 2006, 8:49 pm

ShyViolet wrote:I know it's much easier to root for the supposed "little guy" studio like Pixar, rather than the studio that's owned by that rich businessman who's not even an animator,
Wait - Did I just read this wrong or did you just group Steve Jobs outside of the category of "that rich businessman who's not even an animator." ;)
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 18th, 2006, 11:07 pm

And I suppose you people like Michael Eisner right?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 19th, 2006, 7:05 am

He was great until he got all greedy. :x

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 19th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Movie-Man wrote:And I suppose you people like Michael Eisner right?
What does that even mean??

In trying to find the missing word, I came up with "EAT" and "FONDLE", though I think I may be wrong...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 19th, 2006, 7:48 pm

Actually....yes. :) He made mistakes and he has his failings but overall he did a spectuacular job at Disney, do you have any idea how deeply down in the dumps that company was in 1984? They were on the verge of literally disappearing off the face of the earth. Eisner made Disney into a major player. And IMO he did the right thing by buying those companies like ABC and ESPN...Disney can't just rely on content, economics just doesn't work that way. They would have been taken over in a second.

Without Disney Pixar wouldn't be where they are today. Not even close. Pixar was a computer graphics company, not a movie studio...they were literally adopted by Disney, who trained them how to make feature films instead of five-minute shorts, who distributed those movies and actually got the public to go see a form of entertainent that no one had ever experienced before. Back in 1995 people weren't all that big on CGI animation like they are today....case in point...does anyone even remember that cartoon show "Reboot"?? Didn't think so. It was the very first fully-CGI cartoon.

There wouldn't be a Pixar, not the Pixar we know today, if it hadn't been for Eisner.
Wait - Did I just read this wrong or did you just group Steve Jobs outside of the category of "that rich businessman who's not even an animator."

Ha ha. :) Very clever, Brandon. :wink:

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 19th, 2006, 8:22 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
Actually....yes. :) He made mistakes and he has his failings but overall he did a spectuacular job at Disney, do you have any idea how deeply down in the dumps that company was in 1984? They were on the verge of literally disappearing off the face of the earth. Eisner made Disney into a major player. And IMO he did the right thing by buying those companies like ABC and ESPN...Disney can't just rely on content, economics just doesn't work that way. They would have been taken over in a second.

Without Disney Pixar wouldn't be where they are today. Not even close. Pixar was a computer graphics company, not a movie studio...they were literally adopted by Disney, who trained them how to make feature films instead of five-minute shorts, who distributed those movies and actually got the public to go see a form of entertainent that no one had ever experienced before. Back in 1995 people weren't all that big on CGI animation like they are today....case in point...does anyone even remember that cartoon show "Reboot"?? Didn't think so. It was the very first fully-CGI cartoon.

There wouldn't be a Pixar, not the Pixar we know today, if it hadn't been for Eisner.
Are you damn stupid? The guy almost killed 2-D animation.