"The Wild"

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by askmike1 » April 16th, 2006, 11:04 pm

spawn wrote:The Wild's failure says several things.

audiences are getting smart, knowing knock offs when they see it.

Eisner's effort to make cheap CG flicks has failed with both Valiant and
this film. The only people who should be blamed for its failure is Disney's management, for micromanaging a film that never should have been made.

This is the last effort of the old regime.

R.I.P.
1) The Wild is not a knock-off.
2) Disney did NOT make this film. C.O.R.E. did (Disney just distributed it).
3) Have you even seen this movie? And if not, don't attack a movie you haven't seen.
-Michael
[url=http://www.mainstreetword.com]MSW[/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 16th, 2006, 11:12 pm

Eisner's effort to make cheap CG flicks has failed with both Valiant and
this film. The only people who should be blamed for its failure is Disney's management, for micromanaging a film that never should have been made.
Yeah, was this film really "micro-managed"? It was made all the way out in Toronto, not Burbank.

And "whether it should have been made" isn't for any of us to say. A story about zoo animals, well, I don't see anything terribly wrong with that....no more than a story about a roomful of toys. I liked Toy Story but who's to say whether it "should have been made" or not? I wasn't exactly crying out for that film, just like I'm not exactly raving to see Cars. But it was made, so I'll give it a shot.... 8)
This is the last effort of the old regime.
Yeah, but, wasn't it the FIRST effort of a new "regime"? (CORE)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » April 16th, 2006, 11:27 pm

Wow! I thoroughly enjoyed this movie! :D Admittedly the story got sticky in a few places and the animation was shall we say out of place at times but overall it was a really good movie! I especially loved the panoramic scenes, they were absolutely beautiful, especially going into NYC. Gave me the same feeling as the first time I saw Jurassic Park. I was also greatful for the type of story that was shown - not too much toilet humor (and most of what was there was original) and not over-blown with the pop-culture references (although I loved the approximately 1000 pieces of Disney product placement ;) ). Also loved the array of original and unique characters (although still not entirely sure about the Swedish dung beetles :? ).

I will say though - I would totally buy one of those koalas if they would market them. My brother wants one too LOL. :)
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 17th, 2006, 12:51 am

The only films they give positive reviews on are art house films (you know, the ones that are supposed to be so good, but really suck).

Oh, you mean like Brokeback Mountain?

J/K--I recently saw it and I liked some things about it, especially Jake Gyllanall, but overall it was sooooo boring! You keep waiting for something to happen and nothing ever does. Michelle Williams is O.K. I guess, but she's barely in the film to begin with. This film did NOT deserve a Best Picture win, and it's debatable that it should have even been nominated. Believe me, I'm all for tolerance and understanding (I loved Boys Don't Cry and in retrospect I think it deserved Best Picture more than American Beauty) but all in all, I felt let down by this film.

Now Crash...that was a great film. And trashed by quite a number of critics, believe it or not. Now....what does that tell you? :roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 17th, 2006, 8:27 am

It stinks that this film is getting such a bad rep already just for being a 'rip-off of Madagascar', which it isn't. Psh. I think it looks good, so I'll see it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Samantha » April 17th, 2006, 9:29 am

Can anyone point me to any comparative stats? When was the last time a Disney flick did so poorly on opening weekend? Or got such bad reviews? (19% on RT? Yeesh!)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 17th, 2006, 11:29 am

ShyViolet wrote:
The only films they give positive reviews on are art house films (you know, the ones that are supposed to be so good, but really suck).

Oh, you mean like Brokeback Mountain?

J/K--I recently saw it and I liked some things about it, especially Jake Gyllanall, but overall it was sooooo boring! You keep waiting for something to happen and nothing ever does. Michelle Williams is O.K. I guess, but she's barely in the film to begin with. This film did NOT deserve a Best Picture win, and it's debatable that it should have even been nominated. Believe me, I'm all for tolerance and understanding (I loved Boys Don't Cry and in retrospect I think it deserved Best Picture more than American Beauty) but all in all, I felt let down by this film.

Now Crash...that was a great film. And trashed by quite a number of critics, believe it or not. Now....what does that tell you? :roll:
I didn't see "Crash". I never came to my theater. But I did see "Brokeback Mountain", and while it might've been overrated to some degree, I could easily see why it got so much praise. Yeah, I was kinda covering my eyes during some of the gay love scenes (I'm male, so they made me feel kinda awkward), and it does drag a bit for the first fourty minutes or so. But the final shot, wow, talk about a moving ending. I cry just thinking about it. :(

Again, I didn't see "Crash", and BBM was nothing compared to last year's "Million Dollar Baby". But I can certainly see why the film was nominated.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 17th, 2006, 10:08 pm

Hey Spaz, what kind of penguins are in this movie? A friend of mine loves penguins and wants to know what they are...

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 17th, 2006, 10:12 pm

You know, I knew The Wild will flop besides it was competiting with Scary Movie 4, Disney can't beat David Zucker.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » April 17th, 2006, 10:22 pm

Scary Movie 4 looks awful.

I'm probably seeing The Wild tomorrow.

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 17th, 2006, 10:24 pm

Macaluso wrote:Scary Movie 4 looks awful.

I'm probably seeing The Wild tomorrow.
Well others seem to like not to mention it made 41 million dollars on the opening weekend, besides Scary Movie 4 is better anyway, at least it's funny.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 17th, 2006, 10:24 pm

Uh, have you even seen The Wild?

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 17th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Meg wrote:Uh, have you even seen The Wild?

Don't intend to, it looks plus there's this stupid war between Dsiney and Pixar.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » April 17th, 2006, 10:27 pm

Stupid war between Disney and Pixar...Erm...

Banned
Banned

Post by Movie-Man » April 17th, 2006, 10:31 pm

Meg wrote:Stupid war between Disney and Pixar...Erm...
They've been ripping off each other ever since Dreamworks came along.