Song of the South

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 12th, 2006, 5:52 pm

That's been around the web awhile, though certainly looks good!

The reason I heard about shelving So Dear To My Heart was that they were possibly holding off to release this and Song Of The South together.

Now that SOTS is a def no-go, hopefully we'll see SDTMY - which contains the last major feature animation from the Studio not out on region 1 DVD - on disc soon.

I have an age-old VHS, but a restored image as seen on the UK disc would be great!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » April 13th, 2006, 3:05 am

Ben wrote:That's been around the web awhile, though certainly looks good!
What do you mean? I made that graphic myself last year! Has it been used elsewhere?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 13th, 2006, 4:16 pm

I think I first saw it at DVD File. Did you used to post there? If so, it explains everything... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 13th, 2006, 4:54 pm

I'd seen it before too. Was it used at JHM?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » April 13th, 2006, 5:01 pm

I don't know - I put it together about a year ago in Adobe Photoshop for discussion of the very same topic. I think at the time Ben pointed out to me that [then] it would not have had Roy's signature. Also I didn't quite line the images up - you'll see the mistake just below the image where the tin and the image don't align. Wow - inetersting if you did see it used elsewhere...And the tin and image itself isn't actually mine anyhow I guess...But funny to know a 5 minute project got spread about...If at all?!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 13th, 2006, 7:07 pm

But Roy's signature would be on it now.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 15th, 2006, 4:51 pm

As I say, I think I MIGHT have seen it at DVD File. I do remember you posting it here before, and my pointing out that Roy's sig would not be there.

In fact, according to the last two waves, it still wouldn't be there, Christian! Those handy wraparound strips have gone the way of the Dodo, with Roy's sig now appearing on the back of the cardboard insert and certificates inside the tin!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 26th, 2006, 10:43 am

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 26th, 2006, 12:45 pm

Those handy wraparound strips have gone the way of the Dodo, with Roy's sig now appearing on the back of the cardboard insert and certificates inside the tin!
But they might package them properly again now that Roy is back.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 26th, 2006, 6:30 pm

Could be! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Song of the South

Post by adirick » May 20th, 2006, 6:25 pm

If you go over to eBay you'll find people getting kicked-off every day selling SOTS. Took me two tries to get one (lost my money on the first). I assume these are Asian imports (ie bootleg), but mine looks very professional with highly believable label and artwork. The video is excellent. Not that I would condone anything wrong, just letting you know they're not hard to come by. Another great site for animation on eBay is http://stores.ebay.com/AMAZING-VIDEO-SP ... 3aSTQQtZkm .

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Song of the south purchase

Post by netweaver » August 16th, 2006, 7:40 pm

for those that's interested.

Song of the South on DVD is also available here.
[link removed due to copyright infringement and advertising of an unofficial product]

It's way better than ebay, where you're fighting tooth and nail with 983 other bidders and have the auction cancelled by ebay at the last minute

Seller is friendly and gets you your DVD within a week.
Good quality too and comes with bonus feature cartoons of the period

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 16th, 2006, 8:56 pm

Hi netweaver, and welcome to our boards.

We enjoy a good relationship with the studios and wouldn't want to cause any problem between ourselves and Disney, so routinely check the forums for the advertisement of unofficial product, bootlegs and copyright infringement.

This being the case, I deleted the link you gave to this seller, since it's not endorsed by Disney.

I hope you understand this, and I know you were just trying to help out those who really should see this wonderful movie on DVD, but we couldn't let this through.

We hope you stick around our forums! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 31st, 2006, 11:58 pm

Hey SOTS fans, you would love this book! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Multiculturalism- ... F8&s=books

It's a really interesting look at sex, race, multiculturalism in Disney--but this book, in a addition to being very well written, actually has positive things to say about Walt's films and how despite the stereotyping of certain characters like Dumbo's Crow's, etc...there was actually a lot of progressive characterization there, particularly with Dumbo, as the crows eventually exhibit guilt, compassion, then intelligence in how they deal with Dumbo. It even praises the relationship between Peter and Tiger Lily in Peter Pan.

And it's also very positive about SOTS and has some very interesting things to say!
:)

BTW this author is amazing, I started reading him at 14 ( I had his book on the films of the 1980s). I learned a lot from his knowledge and writing style.

I'm interested in Disney criticism, and while a lot of it is legitamate and well-researched, a gigantic amount of it is total BS! Doesn't matter if it's liberal or conservative, right or left. Half of Disney critics just pull out anything they can think of from Walt's films without anything textual (or contextual) to back it up.

Because many people see "DC" as so novel in itself (which it isn't--it's been done to death) not a lot of people bother to check whether these so-called "intellectuals" even know what they're talking about. There should be some real criticism of Disney criticism! :wink: :roll: :?

Here's the book description from Amazon:

"Brode emerges [as] a worthy proponent of Disney's democratic vision, wielding a powerful argument for Disney as a forerunner of multicultural values in America. The significance of his work cannot be overstated."

—Deborah C. Mitchell, Westminster College, author of Diane Keaton: Artist and Icon and coauthor of The Makeover in Movies

In his latest iconoclastic work, Douglas Brode—the only academic author/scholar who dares to defend Disney entertainment—argues that "Uncle Walt's" output of films, television shows, theme parks, and spin-off items promoted diversity decades before such a concept gained popular currency in the 1990s. Fully understood, It's a Small World—one of the most popular attractions at the Disney theme parks—encapsulates Disney's prophetic vision of an appealingly varied world, each race respecting the uniqueness of all the others while simultaneously celebrating a common human core. In this pioneering volume, Brode makes a compelling case that Disney's consistently positive presentation of "difference"—whether it be race, gender, sexual orientation, ideology, or spirituality—provided the key paradigm for an eventual emergence of multiculturalism in our society.

Using examples from dozens of films and TV programs, Brode demonstrates that Disney entertainment has consistently portrayed Native Americans, African Americans, women, gays, individual acceptance of one's sexual orientation, and alternatives to Judeo-Christian religious values in a highly positive light. Assuming a contrarian stance, Brode refutes the overwhelming body of "serious" criticism that dismisses Disney entertainment as racist and sexist. Instead, he reveals through close textual analysis how Disney introduced audiences to such politically correct principles as mainstream feminism. In so doing, Brode challenges the popular perception of Disney fare as a bland diet of programming that people around the world either uncritically deem acceptable for their children or angrily revile as reactionary pabulum for the masses.

Providing a long overdue and thoroughly detailed alternative, Brode makes a highly convincing argument that with an unwavering commitment to racial diversity and sexual difference, coupled with a vast global popularity, Disney entertainment enabled those successive generations of impressionable youth who experienced it to create today's aura of multiculturalism and our politically correct value system.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 22nd, 2007, 7:27 pm

Has there been any news on whether or not Iger might re-consider releasing this on DVD or not, perhaps in the next couple of years? :?: