Bambi: Diamond Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 27th, 2006, 4:31 pm

The Porcupine ANNOYS me. He's blond! I've never seen a blond porcupine before.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bambifan56 » January 28th, 2006, 2:28 am

Well I am the biggest Bambi fan around lol, and I absolutely loved every second of it..others I dunno, I'm my own critic so :D The ending scene still makes me enjoy it even more..nice ending..

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 28th, 2006, 9:55 am

Don't spoil it, now! ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 29th, 2006, 11:11 pm

Taken from amazon.com:

A sequel to the 1942 Disney classic, Bambi, is laden with expectations since audiences are justifiably protective of this beloved tale abounding with enchantment and nostalgia. Rest assured: Bambi II rises to the occasion, succeeding at every turn. Brian Pimental directs the 70-minute direct-to-video release, which seamlessly integrates the beauty, subtlety, and essence of the original film. The new tale is actually a "midquel" as it takes place in the middle of the original film's story line, exploring Bambi's coming-of-age challenges. The saga begins soon after Bambi's mother has died--and for viewers who shudder at the thought of having to relive that traumatic movie experience, you won't. With gentle inferences to her passing, Bambi (voiced by Alexander Gould, Finding Nemo) is left to the clumsy-though-well-meaning care of his father, the Great Prince (voiced by Patrick Stewart) who faces the difficult task of raising a son while silently mourning his own loss. Yet the weighty subject of death is soon overshadowed by the wonders of forest life. Through skillful storytelling, the film takes an early turn toward levity. After all, it's spring and Bambi's familiar friends, Thumper and Flower, are ready to play. Especially charming are the scenes where the forest animals give each other lessons in bravery and soon have a chance to test their mettle in scuffles with a newcomer to the mix, a blustering bully named Ronno (voiced by Anthony Ghannam). A strong soundtrack includes selections by Martina McBride, Michelle Lewis, Alison Krauss, and Anthony Callea. There is even a nostalgic nod to the original composer, Frank Churchill, with "Let's Sing a Gay Little Spring Song." The film's strength, however, is in its well-crafted humor: simple one-liners and animated antics that refrain from 21st century trends to cloak inappropriate innuendoes and double entendres in G-rated clothing, hoping to pander to an adult audience. This is vintage Disney; it panders to no one yet pleases all--delightfully worth the wait. The DVD's bonus material includes a "making-of" featurette, Bambi trivia, and a mini-tutorial with a Disney animator. (All ages) --Lynn Gibson
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Bambi (Original)

Post by bambifan56 » February 5th, 2006, 3:06 pm

With the upcoming release of Bambi II, I decided to pop the original in the DVD player today and have a watch (it's been a while since i've seen it), and i'm glad I did, because, I had forgotten what an utterly beautiful and emotional picture Bambi was. The film itself is so beautiful just for one reason, simplicity. The story of Bambi is timeless and has touched the hearts of many before I was even born (or my parents for that matter), it is a wonderful story with so much emotion and power that its hard for even the toughest of men to watch without shedding a tear (or two). The music, characters and the story weave together so wonderfully that it seems sometimes to be the perfect story. The emotion is what has me suckerd in, while most feel that the death of Bambi's mother at the hands of the maleviolent hunter is the roughest part to watch, I have to say that the most emotional part for me personally was the ending sequence, it leaves you with such a feeling of hope and love that I can't watch it without shedding a tear of happiness. I would compare it to even the ending scene of "The Shawshank Redemption". Bambi has touched me in a personal way that no other film has even ever come close to. While I know some feel the same, there are others who disagree, and, to each his own, but, you can't deny that there is power in the story. Sorry to rant, but I had to say something about how this film (my favorite film of all time) has touched me. Just wondering if anyone else had the same feelings on the story or just wanted to hear others opinions on the film and its emotional impact. Thanks for reading.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 5th, 2006, 3:25 pm

I'm going to say this once.

"Bambi" is overrated.

Shutting up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » February 5th, 2006, 4:04 pm

I never liked bambi all that much.

I hate to sound like I don't appreciate the older movies, because I do. But I enjoy watching movies in the past 10/20 years compared to older movies like that. The drawings are a lot cleaner and crisper, and more watchable to me. There's nothing wrong with the old movies, infact, movies like Robin Hood and The Jugle Book are some of my favorites. But the new Bambi sequel is much easier on the eyes than the old Bambi, and from what I saw from that 10 minute clip, I think I'm going to enjoy the sequel a lot more.

Speaking of awesome sequels, I want to watch The REscuers Down Under again :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bambifan56 » February 5th, 2006, 4:25 pm

Like I said...To each his own :D..er..her own too I guess :S

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » February 5th, 2006, 5:25 pm

The strength of the film lies in its simplicity. That's where the sequel fails and I can say that without having seen it. In the trailer we get all this crap about how Bambi wants to make his father proud and his father taking him to where he first met his mother.... that's way too 2000's and way too Lion King-ish. Where's the simplicity? the visual storytelling? who cares about where Bambi's parents first met eachother! No sequel could ever even come close to the original for one reason and one only: too much time has passed. We're living in different times. It would never work.

And in my opinion, Bambi is not overrated at all. That title would go to The Lon King, for desperately trying to do what Bambi already did.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 5th, 2006, 6:31 pm

I love Bambi. Watching it is like taking a quite stroll in the woods...
bambifan56 wrote:Like I said...To each his own :D..er..her own too I guess :S
Poor Wendy's Jane. Everyone thinks he's a her... :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 6th, 2006, 9:48 am

I know. I was taking stupid pills when I came up with that Username.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JustinWilliams » February 6th, 2006, 4:43 pm

I've just watched Bambi II and it's one of the best Disney films I've seen for some time - the story was warm, considered and faithful in emotion to the original. The quality, or lucidity, of animation in this feature is superb and a great monument to the wonderful work the original stands as. It is a fitting, masterful and moving story which even I (as one who frowns on churned-out straight to DVD efforts of previous Disney fare) find a worthy and memorable trophy to the Disney cannon. Congratulations!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 7th, 2006, 7:24 am

What makes it worse is that you have not one, but TWO girl's names in your name!

What gives, WJ?? :)

Anyway...back on la topic...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » February 7th, 2006, 12:51 pm

Ben wrote:What makes it worse is that you have not one, but TWO girl's names in your name!

What gives, WJ?? :)

Anyway...back on la topic...
Isn't it obvious - he's a Ladies Man

but yes... back on topic...
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 7th, 2006, 6:24 pm

We have yet to buy it at my house.