Disney Pixar Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 30th, 2006, 5:57 pm

I didn't realize there was such a big difference. A couple guys at Pixar admitted they were horny computer nerds when they first made Knick Knack but now they are more mature and have wives and daughters and therefore no longer have any inclination to be objectifying women, which is good, but at the same time I'm surprised they toned it down as much as they did.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 30th, 2006, 6:06 pm

FWIW, I don't find it sexist to have male characters attracted to female characters.

Romantic or beauty-attraction is a fact of life. It's not sexist. It's not even sexual unless you want to see it that way.

Look at Rex and Slinky and Ham as just being Twitterpaited about Barbie. Dropped jaws is not sexist.

I loved the Israeli Cactus! :wink:

Anyway, I don't find the Barbie thing to be exactly offensive, but the whole thing with scantily clad women in bathing suits having a pool party or whatever that was and men ogling them....kinda out of place in this film. It was like something stuck in by the animators because it was funny or whatever. :roll: If they had one pretty Barbie doll in a party dress or tour guide outfit or something and the guys falling for her, it wouldn't really be that big a deal, but a bunch of ditzy blondes in bathing suits limboing with their, uh....bazooms sticking out....I dunno. If you look at Barbie dolls in general they are pretty sexist all by themselves, why do you think so many girls have a false image of what women are supposed to be? You don't need a film like this to be encouraging it. ( What if it was the other way around? Say they had a gorgeous hunky Ken doll in a bathing suit and Bo-Peep drooling over him...I don't think people would take very kindly to that.)

*ahem* Rant over now....once again, I really like Pixar films, TS 2 included. (I just bought it) There are just certain things that I'm not too crazy about. I don't think there's anything wrong with depicting sexual attraction (Red Hot Riding Hood is a brilliant cartoon) but that it should be done somewhat tastefully, especially considering the audience.

Just wondering, what's FWIW?

Knick Knack looks cool, and it kinda makes sense because the short films weren't specifically aimed at children at all. I think it's cute, but I can see why they toned it down.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 30th, 2006, 6:19 pm

Grapes are good.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 30th, 2006, 6:28 pm

ShyViolet wrote:...scantily clad women in bathing suits having a pool party...
Might want to blame Mattel for that, not Pixar. Barbie pool party sets have been around for years.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 30th, 2006, 6:35 pm

Yeah but Pixar CHOSE to have it in the movie, with that frat-guy-oh-look-babes tone.

Well...not trying to be anti-Pixar or anything. This was just what I thought. :roll:

And I think they did the right thing by toning down the Knick Knack film.
Especially since it was on the Finding Nemo DVD, which many little kids watch.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 30th, 2006, 6:38 pm

Yeah. It would have been more fun if the barbies had been doing house work and cooking meals for ken!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 30th, 2006, 6:46 pm

Whatever. :roll: I'm not trying to b**** against Pixar, I really like them. This was just my opinion is all.

Truth be told: I couldn't be happier about the merger. I can't wait to see their stuff, this is the best possible thing that could have happened.

Also, just wanted to say, I don't think a lot of non-animation-fans really know much about the whole thing. I asked some friends: "Did you hear Disney bought Pixar?" and they were all like: "Really? I thought they already owned Pixar."

Go figure. :roll: :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sullivan » January 30th, 2006, 7:18 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
What if it was the other way around? Say they had a gorgeous hunky Ken doll in a bathing suit and Bo-Peep drooling over him...I don't think people would take very kindly to that.
If it was funny people would like it.

Like when Buzz shows that he can "fly", and Bo-Peep blushes, fans herself and says "I found MY moving buddy!"

Nobody cared, or found it offensive. It's just funny.

Barbies having a pool party is EXACTLY what Barbies would be doing. The reason it's funny is that THAT's what the toys are. Mattel sells you the pool.

It's not like Pixar invented this:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 30th, 2006, 8:07 pm

I guess it comes closer to crossing the line if one character is focused more on another character's body part(s), not just by being impressed with what they can accomplish (such as "flying"), or if the attraction appears to be based on nothing but sheer physical lust.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 30th, 2006, 9:19 pm

I think they were just poking fin at Barbies. If Barbies could talk and move, I think they'd act EXACTLY like they did in TS2. That's why I found it funny.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 30th, 2006, 9:22 pm

I guess it comes closer to crossing the line if one character is focused more on another character's body part(s), not just by being impressed with what they can accomplish (such as "flying"), or if the attraction appears to be based on nothing but sheer physical lust.

Yeah, plus I thought it was cute when Buzz Lightyear's wings pop up suddenly because he's so impressed with what Jessie can do, kinda *suggestive* but cute all the same. It was so sweet how he seemed to like her.

None of the Barbie dolls had any personality whatsoever, including Tour Guide Barbie. They were just pretty objects for the guys to stare at. Why not have a "smart" Barbie like Dr. Barbie or maybe even an Astronaut Barbie? Why did it have to be scantily clad pool babes? :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 30th, 2006, 9:38 pm

Barbies are ditzesIt's a well know fact that Barbies are DITZES! :D I mean, the other female characters weren't like that. They were just making fun of Barbie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 30th, 2006, 9:39 pm

*shrugs* Well, maybe. :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 30th, 2006, 10:22 pm

Alright, I'll step in here.

The Barbie bit is hilarious.

Shutting up.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 30th, 2006, 11:00 pm

And as much as you might not like the way Barbie gives a negative impression on what females are supposed to look like or whatever, the fact is when they tried relleasing Plus sized dolls and stuff like that... well, they didn't sell. Barbie sells.