Disney Pixar Discussion

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 27th, 2006, 1:19 pm

My point is this.

I don't want Disney to take a film like, say, "Chicken Little", and run it past Pixar for their seal of approval. I want Disney to be able make films on their own.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 27th, 2006, 1:28 pm

The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Hercules
Mulan
Tarzan
Fantasia 2000
The Emperor's New Groove
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Lilo & Stitch
Treasure Planet
Brother Bear
Home on the Range
Chicken Little

While some of these are good movies, my original statement stands "nothing Disney has done in the past 10 years holds a candle to the great Disney Classics", especially at the more recent end of that list. And where is the "expansive, heart-warming, fairy tale quality that Disney has done so much better than anyone else" in that list? Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge Disney fan. Which is all the more reason to be upset at the slide in quality this past decade.

On Pixar, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 27th, 2006, 1:32 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:My point is this.

I don't want Disney to take a film like, say, "Chicken Little", and run it past Pixar for their seal of approval. I want Disney to be able make films on their own.
Because they've done so well in their past few outings on their own... ;)

John Lasseter will be deciding which films to greenlight at both studios. And I'm sure they will collaborate to an extent especially when they need fresh eyes to look at something the other is doing.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 27th, 2006, 1:43 pm

Again, it just doesn't seem right for Pixar to greenlight Disney's films. But that may just be me.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2006, 1:57 pm

While some of these are good movies, my original statement stands "nothing Disney has done in the past 10 years holds a candle to the great Disney Classics", especially at the more recent end of that list. And where is the "expansive, heart-warming, fairy tale quality that Disney has done so much better than anyone else" in that list? Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge Disney fan. Which is all the more reason to be upset at the slide in quality this past decade.
Yes, we all know about the overall slide. And now in the Internet age we tend to think it's the only time Disney has had a slide.
On Pixar, we'll just have to agree to disagree.
What are we disagreeing about? I said they make excellent movies. Are we disagreeing on that?
It just doesn't seem right for Pixar to greenlight Disney's films.
It's not going to be Pixar, it's going to be John Lasseter, who started out as a Disney employee.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 27th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Yes, but he's been working for Pixar for the last 20 or so years.

And as for "Disney's Slide", that in itself is debatable.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2006, 2:03 pm

I think there definitely has been a slide but not as bad of one as many people like to claim.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » January 27th, 2006, 2:14 pm

There's been a slide and a big one at that. While they aren't THAT bad you have to remember that they were THAT good just a few years prior. That constitutes a pretty big slide in my book. I think everyone here knows what I think about Pixar and that I will defend to the death The Incredibles being IMHO the greatest film of all time but while I am Pixar fanatic I give credit where credit is due. I still consider classic Disney in it's prime movies like LK and BATB to be far superior to some of Pixar's other works like A Bug's Life and Monsters Inc. Not that I don't love both films dearly (I love all Pixar) but they do take a back seat to other classics.

Back to the point though - Pixar won't greenlight Disney - Lasseter will - and he IMHO is as Disney as they come. There's a reason Pixar became so successful and it's because they do things the way Disney used to. Hopefully Lasseter will reenvigorate Disney with it's own vision that it founded so many years ago.
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 27th, 2006, 2:21 pm

But doesn't anyone else worry that Lasseter will be so busy now that he won't have time to concentrate on what he's good at?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 27th, 2006, 2:22 pm

We'll have to wait and see.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 27th, 2006, 2:24 pm

Yeah, I can't argue there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Brandon Neeld » January 27th, 2006, 2:29 pm

But Lasseter is Superman remember??? :P
"We're Dead! We're Dead! We Survived but We're Dead!!!" -Dash- "The Incredibles"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2006, 2:29 pm

The Incredibles is a great movie. I've seen it about 20 times myself. Showed it at a Movie Nite for friends and about 30-40 people showed up. Even have some Incredibles stationery. Watched my Oscar screener copy numerous times and with numerous people and had all sorts of people wanting me to give it to them. Watched the commercial copy numerous times and have watched the bonus features on it over and over again and will likely to continue to do so. Went to two special screenings, one with Pete Docter and one with Brad Bird. Excellent voice work, animation, production values, etc. etc. et cetera. But greatest movie of all time and better than Lion King and Beauty and the Beast? It just doesn't have the same timeless, classic feel to it. Not even close. It's much more "now," even with the faux 50's look it has, and especially in the issues it deals with. What it can be commended for is doing an excellent job of bringing a superhero comic book-type story (not a timeless, classic fairy tale) to life. That ain't a bad thing.
Last edited by Christian on January 27th, 2006, 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 27th, 2006, 2:34 pm

Wendy's Jane wrote:Again, it just doesn't seem right for Pixar to greenlight Disney's films. But that may just be me.
What you're failing to realize is that as of this week Pixar is Disney. They are the same company now. Yes they have separate buildings but so do Disney Toon Studios and Circle 7 Animation, yet they are all Disney and all under the control of the same higher-ups.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 27th, 2006, 2:35 pm

That's gonna take a while to get used to! :)