Bambi: Diamond Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 24th, 2006, 9:39 pm

I was not implying AT ALL that DVD Toons should be the only review of this that one should seek out.
I understand.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 24th, 2006, 10:44 pm

How many times can we go off-topic in three days?

Since "Bambi II" will be seen on the big screen in many countries, that's probably one reason for it being in widescreen. And I don't know about anyone else, but I'm thankful that "Return to Never Land" wasn't made in 1.33:1.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Bambi 1988 Theatrical Release Trailer..

Post by bambifan56 » January 25th, 2006, 1:55 pm

If anyone has this or knows where I could view it, please let me know. I would love to see it (i've heard it's worth seeking as well.) Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 25th, 2006, 9:47 pm

Wow THIS brings back memories--that's the first time I saw Bambi, summer of '88. I was ten years old. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 25th, 2006, 10:00 pm

It was a no-show on the recent DVD edition, but did turn up on the film's The 55th Anniversary LaserDisc, if you're hell bent on seeing it.

I've always enjoyed Disney's 1980s re-issue trails...one of my faves is the Sleeping Beauty one from the late 80s/early 90s.

The Bambi LD (CAV edition) is well worth seeking out, as it also features an isolated music and effects track, as well a different 15-minute “Making Of The Masterpiece” documentary which ends with a deleted, alternate version of a song for the “Little April Shower” sequence that isn’t included anywhere on the DVD.

The image is also perhaps a bit more sharp, with some animation "fixes" left in here that were then taken out for the DVD.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 25th, 2006, 10:41 pm

I've always enjoyed Disney's 1980s re-issue trails...one of my faves is the Sleeping Beauty one from the late 80s/early 90s.
Also Snow White which came out in '87 I think.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Bambi II Review

Post by bambifan56 » January 26th, 2006, 4:58 pm

From a friend who owns a video store, I got a sneek peek at Bambi II. Here's my take, just remember i'm the biggest softie for Bambi of all time :D haha..

=============================

When Walt Disney created the original Bambi, he deserved a standing ovation, all he received was a loss at the box office and a strike to deal with. Now, almost 64 years later, it has become one of the most enduring features of all time. The same now can be said for Brian Pimental. He has taken a story that most any Disney fan would have spit on and turned it into a wonderful film that shows what time and patience can do. While direct to video, you would never know unless you had picked it up from the video store yourself.

When Bambi II was announced most dismissed the idea, claiming almost blaspemy for toying with a classic. I can assure you, there is no reason to be afraid. Mr. Pimental has followed Walt’s original morals and made it into something Disney can be proud of, and that all of this generation should see. Many reviews I have read said that it has put human characteristics in animals instead of the opposite that occurred in the original, this is true. The original used these characteristics to tear at your heart, and so does the sequel, just in a different way. I will admit I am a grown man, and there were a few scenes I had to wipe a little moisture off of my eyes. I assure you children will feel the emotion, as well as adults who are familiar with the original work.

While there are still about two weeks until the film is released, I will not give any of the good details away. This feature I assure you now has no characters singing, well, there is one, but, it is not a full length feature song or anything that will bore you or make you have that “Oh good grief” expression on your face. When you watch the original, not to say Bambi was a coward, but, this really shows how he gathered his strength. It will make you almost puff your chest out with pride with Bambi a few times.

When Bambi lost his mother, there was a feeling of silence on the matter and this is no exception. Bambi deals with the loss of his mother, but, there is no weeping or extreme sadness, although, there is a scene in the beginning that will have those who have seen the original with that pit in your stomach feeling.

The music is perfect for the film. They really did their homework on how Walt and his team constructed the first film. While there are country artist, there is only one song that sounds even remotely country, and, that is in the ending credits. As I said before, too, there are no characters singing, so, no need to fear that.

Animation in the original Bambi took over six years to create, and you could tell. Using the original’s sketches, the artists made Bambi II in about three years, but, the look is superb. While I haven’t been able to see any other Disney sequels, this sets a very high standard I’m sure. The animation and locomotion in here is wonderful, you can really tell they took the time to make the film look excellent. Nobody who sees Bambi II will be complaining about sub-par animation, I assure you.

When I had the pleasure of seeing the original Bambi, in June of 2005, I was touched by the story, the characters, the music, animation and the feeling of the forest. The sequel does the exact same. The only problem I had was the film was only 72 minutes and it leaves you begging for more. Everything in it is absolutely breathtaking. While not quite as well done as the original, I doubt anything ever will be, this is a wonderful story that Mr. Pimental deserves to be recognized for. I can safely say if Walt Disney was still alive today, he would look at this film, smile, and with a tear in his eye say “That’s pure gold, boys.”

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 26th, 2006, 5:02 pm

Wow - now I'm really looking foward to this! :D

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 26th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Ah, yeah. Sounds like a good movie.

I'm still not going to get my hopes *too* high. Just to be safe. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2006, 1:14 am

Safe from what?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bambifan56 » January 27th, 2006, 1:26 am

Does anyone know where I could find them online, or could someone perhaps rip them for me :) I'd deeply appreciate it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 27th, 2006, 7:41 am

In case it's bad.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 27th, 2006, 1:27 pm

I expect it to be good, but not exceptional.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » January 27th, 2006, 2:18 pm

Yup. Same here.

Animation looks fantastic, though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » January 27th, 2006, 3:53 pm

There at least aspects of it that are quite good. The animation is consistently good except for on the three new characters.