DC Universe

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 8th, 2007, 1:54 pm

Have they said anything about what they plan to do with the super little bundle of "joy"?

:roll: :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 8th, 2007, 4:59 pm

Hopefully expose him to Kryptonite and kill him off!

Actually, that could be cool, having Luthor kill him (maybe accidentally) and starting off a decent plot device which <I>really</I> tests Superman's ability to stay rational.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 8th, 2007, 8:47 pm

You could just have him get sick on his own and die, maybe due to some genetic Kryptonian disease, or maybe a "weak" human immune system that can't handle Kryptonian biology/genetics.

(Another tiresome thing about the Kid is that he just reproduces the lame old "half-human" or "wanting to be human" theme that has been done ad infinutum in sci-fi, Data, Spock, etc...:roll:)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 10th, 2007, 5:23 pm

Even the artists on Superman Returns don't want it to win the Oscar!!! :shock:

Just look what this visual effects guy wrote on VFX hell:

For the love of god don't vote for superman. The way they treated everyone was just horrible. The effects were crap (you know it was... too much noodling and no direction). A win or vote will only give them authority to do it to us all over again!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 10th, 2007, 6:31 pm

Is it possible that the film might have a stronger, or at least more coherent impact if a lot of the scenes that were cut out are edited back in?

On one of the fan sites someone has started a petition to get a "full cut" of SR a la Superman II/Richard Donner fiasco:

http://www.bluetights.net/theplanet/sho ... hp?t=21283

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 11th, 2007, 4:49 pm

There's something I'm curious to know. Lois Lane won a Pulitzer Prize for her critically acclaimed and widely accepted essay "Why the World Doesn't Need Superman." Thus, I wonder how, in that fictional world, critics and society in general responded to the article she began at the end of Superman Returns...
"Why the World Needs Superman." It might be interesting to see if she wasn't able to argue the second case as well as she did the alternative.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 11th, 2007, 8:29 pm

Thus, I wonder how, in that fictional world, critics and society in general responded to the article she began at the end of Superman Returns...
I think that they probably agreed with her, based on all those people rallying around the hospital at the end of the film.

And everyone cheered him when he saved the airplane so....I think they probably felt they needed him. :wink:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 11th, 2007, 8:50 pm

Good point.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 13th, 2007, 5:20 pm

Thanks Josh. :wink:

Also, I can't help wondering:

If the Kid does make it for the second film, how much will he be in it? What will the relationship between him and Clark be like? Will he realise that Clark is his dad? Also, will they use the same actor?

And BTW, will James Marsden be returning as Lois' fience, or did she dump him in the interim or something?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 19th, 2007, 1:17 pm

I watched the making of documentary last week on SR (still can't watch the film itself again).

You'll notice that EVERY hald-decent idea in the film came from someone else. Brian Singer has not a directorial bone in his body. Good script ideas? From the writers. On set touches? Often from the cast themselves (see his pathetic attempt to get Jimmy Olsen to take a picture) or crew. Visual effects? "Brian doesn't know what he wants until he sees it so we waste hours and hours coming up with 20 different ideas before he picks one and takes all the credit".

Okay, I made that up myself, but true to the essence of what someone said, instead of him asking for a specific idea and maybe five variants.

God, what a joke. I can't believe they're getting him to do another one. Pooh.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 19th, 2007, 1:59 pm

Kevin Smith didn't like it either! Apparently he discussed it on several talk shows recently! :P Check YouTube for details. :wink:

"Brian doesn't know what he wants until he sees it so we waste hours and hours coming up with 20 different ideas before he picks one and takes all the credit".

Okay, I made that up myself, but true to the essence of what someone said, instead of him asking for a specific idea and maybe five variants.
Also, I read on IMDB that if you watch the "Singer diaries" DVD you can tell how little thought he put into casting Bosworth: He's with a bunch of people in a conference room and he still doesn't know who to give it to; KS mentions that he like working with KB on Beyond the Sea, so Singer just says: "All right, give it to Bosworth then."

:roll:

And about FX, as a I posted earlier, even the VFX guys don't want this film to win! :P :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 19th, 2007, 3:09 pm

Pirates should and hopefully will win.

Superman was anything but super, and Poseidon tanked long before the CGI ship turned over, but Pirates really did transport us back to an amazing world, coupled with frankly stunning character work.

Like Kong last year, this has to be the hands down obvious choice.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 19th, 2007, 9:10 pm

God, what a joke. I can't believe they're getting him to do another one. Pooh.

Maybe if they bring Kevin Smith aboard as a new writer, he'll TELL them how bad Bryan's ideas were (the way he did with that other guy who wrote the script back in 1993 or whatever it was.) Then maybe they'll fire Bryan and hire someone like Sam Raimi! :D

Smith 'n Raimi--Killer Combo. :wink: And don't forget Michael Chabon. (like KS he was one of the Spidey 2 writers)

Also, what if the fans protested, the way they did on AICN when Tim Burton /Jon Peters/McG proposed all those insane changes to the Superman mythos?

The weird thing is though, if you go to IMDB SR forum there's been an ongoing war between the devoted fans of SR who basically consider it to be the greatest movie ever made (seriously, they think it deserves Best Picture!) vs. those who despise it, for the past six months or so. And they BOTH consider themselves to be the only "true" pure Superman fans....weird!.....:roll:

Don't even THINK about getting involved in that mess......:roll:

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 19th, 2007, 9:39 pm

I would love to see Kevin Smith direct a film or documentary about the making of Superman Lives. Then again, it would be also be interesting to see a television series that chronicles all of the cancelled attempts at Superman V: Superman: The New Movie, Superman Reborn , Superman Lives, Superman: The Man of Steel, Baman vs. Superman and Superman I. Maybe each season of the series could be devoted to one of the canned projects.
Last edited by Josh on February 19th, 2007, 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » February 19th, 2007, 9:42 pm

Also, what if the fans protested, the way they did on AICN when Tim Burton /Jon Peters/McG proposed all those insane changes to the Superman mythos?
I can't help but wonder how Burton's version would have compared to Singers'...I mean, sure, it was totally weird, but...I mean, geeze, at least it would have been dufferent.