The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 23rd, 2009, 6:47 am

We actually just got this in for review too, so my take should be up in early January. I'm looking forward to it very much! :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » January 4th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Don't forget --

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs (DVD, Blu ray) and Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures (DVD) both street tomorrow!

Those are the big animation releases of the week. Two of the better releases, period.

Everything else -- pretty much looks "meh."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 6th, 2010, 11:03 pm

I picked up those two, plus the first season collection of Super Friends (with Wendy, Marvin & Wonderdog, instead of Zan & Jayna)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 7th, 2010, 1:34 am

I'll be getting Mighty Mouse and Super Friends for sure. I saw Cloudy on the weekend at the cheap theatre, and though it was very well done, the subject matter was a little silly for my "tastes".

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 7th, 2010, 12:45 pm

<I>Groan!</I> ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The New DVD Thread

Post by droosan » September 28th, 2010, 2:43 pm

So, I was hoping to pick up the newly-released Rock & Rule on Blu-ray .. but none of my local stores had it in-stock.

I've just now browsed through several online shops, and none of them seem to have it in stock, either (in fact, some still have it listed as 'available for pre-order' even though today is supposedly the release date).

It's looking like this has been pushed back, but not announced as such. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 28th, 2010, 3:18 pm

I'll be curious to see if there are more bonus features than were announced. The 2-disc DVD from a few years ago was a great edition.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 29th, 2010, 4:45 pm

Amazon now says "This item will be released on October 26, 2010."

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » October 1st, 2010, 2:39 am

I DID buy the latest DC Animated Feature on Blu ray this week.

It's Superman/Batman: Apocalypse, otherwise known as the "Supergirl" story arc from the Superman/Batman monthly comic. It reintroduced the Kara Zor-El version of Supergirl back into the DC Universe after she was killed off during the "Crisis On Infinite Earths" (should-never-have-been-done-in-the-first-place) storyline roughly 20 years prior.

I'll check it out over the weekend and report back on it.

The word from people who saw it at the recent public showing is pretty good so far.

The only thing I don't like is that Michael Ironside wasn't brought back to voice Darkseid. He was so perfectly cast as that character in Superman: TAS and Justice League!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 1st, 2010, 10:21 am

Ironside WAS perfect. But I'll give the new guy a chance. Andrea Romano has said this is a different take, vocally.

I have a review copy coming to me (Warner was a little late sending it out). But yeah, from what I've heard it's way better than Public Enemies (thank goodness).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 8th, 2010, 1:37 am

Today, I got Beauty and the Beast and The Secret of Kells on Blu-ray.

I also bought Rocky & Bullwinkle: season 4 and The Mary Tyler Moore Show: season 7 on DVD (both of which were lo-o-o-ong-awaited).

Plus, Warner Archives' Thundarr the Barbarian 4-disc DVD set arrived in today's mail. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 8th, 2010, 9:28 am

That's a good day. :) My Thundarr and B&B will be along shortly, and I'll wait for a sale on Kells.

In case you hadn't heard yet, Rocky Season 5 will be coming out, but first in a complete series set in January, but it should get its own release in the near future too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Baree » October 10th, 2010, 11:23 pm

My currently most recent addition was Animalympics.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2010, 4:19 am

Where the heck did you get that? On VHS or DVD?

I have an official VHS, but never heard about this coming out on disc anywhere. I hope it's not a bootleg, Baree, as we can't condone things like that on these pages due to enjoying good relations with the studios.

I'd love to see Animalympics on disc. Despite originally being made as a couple of TV specials, the feature-length version really does work as an animated feature, and many big names today made their animation debuts on that project, hence the actually amazing animation for what was a TV project (it's not over selling it to say that, whatever the budget, they made it look like a proper feature, and the voices were some of the comedy cream of the day).

And, of course, it was made by Steve Lisberger, who later did Tron, and actually his Tron studio logo opens the film. If anyone has the chance to see Animalympics, I strongly recommend it, and can't see what it isn't shown more on TV and released on disc every four years!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 11th, 2010, 10:01 am

Apparently, there was a German release done:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Animalympics-Mo ... 644&sr=8-1