Manga & Anime THREAD

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 22nd, 2008, 2:18 pm

Well,

It looks like this film series is NOWHERE near to being released on DVD any time soon!

No updates other than at least one of these films was shown or is being shown at the NY Anime Fest.

Masters for the English dubs have to exist somewhere!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Gnomeo » September 23rd, 2008, 1:10 am

Hi guys, sorry to inform you that the book was SOLD OUT in only 2 1/2 hours! :lol: Thanks God I got mine!

By the way it's very sad that this news didn't make it to the News page... I don't know if you know, but the book has been made with the support of two of animation's most important persons today - John Lasseter (forward) and Hayao Miyazaki (message artwork). And the whole project is a joint effort by Pixar and Studio Ghibli to save the forest that inspired one of the greatest animated films of all time. I hope that all interested have learned about it in time, one way or another.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » September 27th, 2008, 1:20 pm

I got a copy and cannot wait to get it in the mail! My copy was $47 but it's going for $75-$125 on eBay. I have no intention to sell my book, but I'm glad I snagged a copy when I did!
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » September 27th, 2008, 4:04 pm

I'm really looking forward to a DVD release of both Ponyo and Earthsea here in the states. Earthsea is already out in the UK in English, but these R2 discs cause me a bit of trouble (I have to hook up an entirely different DVD player, and it's laser is really loud/clunky) ... so I decided to hold off until it got a proper U.S. release this coming year when the Sci-Fi Channel's contract lifts.
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » September 29th, 2008, 12:32 am

I own R2 2-disc set of Earthsea and its wonderful. A fantastic English dub alongwith some very interesting extras on the making of the film which also talk about Miyazaki and Goro's relationship and the differences they had during the production. Well, I must also admit here, that the packaging of this dvd (exclusive embossed slipcover) is awesome...Better than any of R1 Ghibli releases so far.
This movie deserves a second chance. Its nowhere near as bad as some critics portray it to be.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » September 29th, 2008, 8:20 am

Well, do you think I should track it down...or wait a year? Can you tell me where you bought it?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » September 29th, 2008, 9:07 am

Well, if you can watch multiregion discs, why wait for another year? That too, when you have the English track included on the disc. I certainly don't think Disney is going to give anything more than what is available on this set. Remember "Howl's moving castle" UK edition was better in terms of extras than its R1 counterpart.

Well, I got my copy of Earthsea from HMV UK and I see they still have this exclusive edition in stock. Here's the link:
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=743491

Be aware, the same set (without slipcover) is available on the site for less than half the price. You may as well go for it unless you're willing to shell out more than double the price just for a slipcover. Here's the link to the regular edition:

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=671559

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Neal » September 29th, 2008, 1:30 pm

Well, I use a DVD player that I typed in an unlock code to get to play R2 discs. So it was sort of a no-hardware change mod. I use it to play my Nocturna DVD.

I was holding out to make sure no better version of the disc came as an R1.

If you don't think it will, I may check this out.

How much shipping was it to get this to America?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » September 30th, 2008, 12:17 am

Well, Being in India I'm not really sure about their shipping charges for US. You may checkout their help page.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Mocainu

Post by Neal » October 12th, 2008, 2:43 pm

I was reading about some films Disney releases (but didn't produce) including the Studio Ghibli films.

I came across one called Mocainu. All I could find out was that it was Japanese-only and made in 2006.

What is it?

P.S. Boy, I do tend to make a lot of topics around here! :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 12th, 2008, 5:20 pm

Yep...many of which we seem to be melding into pre-existing threads!

Dan...me thinks we have a Disney/Ghibli thread around here... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 12th, 2008, 6:29 pm

But Mocainu is NOT a Ghibli film. It's just another Japanese film Disney picked up distribution rights for like The Magic Gourd. However Mocainu is supposedly fully animated, unlike TMG being a hybrid.

FYI, I have been using the search feature to try to avoid making topics similar to pre-existing ones. In some situations, like Song of the South, this has helped doubling up topics.

But in this case, I don't see why this film would have anything to do with a Studio Ghibli thread!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 12th, 2008, 8:13 pm

The Magic Gourd, a) is not Japanese, it's Chinese, and b) was actually a Disney co-production...yes, they part funded it as their first such project.

Personally, I'm interested to see it as an example of what Disney are starting to do worldwide as new markets open up.

I have not noted "Mocainu" showing up on any Disney distribution lists...sure it wasn't Sony?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 12th, 2008, 8:26 pm

Eh...Chinese...Japanese...what's the difference, right? ;) *cricket chirp*

Either way, the dubbing didn't seem to match lip movement very well in the trailer and was a bit of a turn-off.

I've seen Mocainu show up on several Disney sites, albeit it could have been a mistake on one list and the other sites just copied the list.

Even so, a Google search turns up nothing in English about this film and even the Japanese sites seem entirely unrelated to what I'm looking for.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by brentorama » October 24th, 2008, 10:48 pm

I picked up this box set 2 years ago

It's an essential series!

I saw Weta working on some stuff for a possible live action incarnation - that was more than a year ago - does anyone know if this is still in the works?