The New DVD and Blu Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » May 18th, 2008, 3:58 pm

Millionaire Dogs (Hot Dogs: Wau - wir sind reich!)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 18th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Welcome, American dog 2008! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » May 19th, 2008, 12:21 am

Oh,right :D I guess,thought I wanted to bring back this thread :D.
I see your point about video games,I keep my money for them (and I buy baiscly my favorite film for the features) :D.
Wellcome,American_dog_2008 :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 19th, 2008, 1:25 pm

Hmm It's been a while since I bought any new ones. I think the last two I got were The Golden Compass (2 disc) and the BBC miniseries of Pride and Prejudice (to satisfy me during my Austen phase ^___^ ).

Now I'm considering getting the 2 disc of There Will be Blood.
Would've gotten it a while ago, but I'm holding off simply because I spend way too much money on DVD's :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 29th, 2008, 3:32 pm

The Little Mermaid:Ariel's Beginning.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 9th, 2008, 10:07 am

I know there are a lot of Superman fans here. Hence, I wanted to let you guys know that Amazon.com is currently selling the entire Lois & Clark - The New Adventures of Superman series for $61.99.

It's been a while since I last watched Lois & Clark. However, I remember enjoying many of the episodes I saw.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 9th, 2008, 2:57 pm

That is a good deal, but I've never seen the show. I probably should eventually. Still, thanks for the notice!

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » September 9th, 2008, 5:42 pm

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 9th, 2008, 6:13 pm

Swapped the link above for our Animated Views-"friendly" one! ;)

We should be getting all the Dalmatians releases in for review, so stay tooned!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 8th, 2008, 9:05 am

Picked-up the Sleeping Beauty blu-ray .. which also comes with the complete movie on DVD! I much prefer this option to the 'digital copy' nonsense ..

IMO, the picture is a bit too 'crisp' in some scenes (some aliasing/strobing here-and-there) .. but overall, it is gorgeous! :)

------------------------------

I also got The Three Stooges Collection: Volume Four, 1943-1945.

The chronological Stooge collections released throughout this year have been absolutely fantastic! :D There'll probably only be one more volume of the 'Moe, Larry & Curly' shorts. I may buy the first volume of 'Moe, Larry & Shemp' .. but IIRC, the series started 'feeding on itself' soon after that (re-making earlier Curly stories with Shemp, instead) .. so I dunno if I'll be in for the long haul.

------------------------------

The Smurfs: Season One, Volume Two had been announced for release, today .. but I wasn't able to find it anywhere I'd looked. :?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » October 10th, 2008, 10:12 pm

Besides Sleeping Beauty, I got Monster High in a bargin bin at the grocery store for like $6. if you like utter 80s schlock with lots of gross out stuff and gratitous boobies, this one is for you.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 10th, 2008, 11:27 pm

"boobies" haha. :)

Yes, I've heard of it, but have never seen it. It has to be seen to be believed, no? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 18th, 2008, 7:30 pm

I've just updated my DVD list, and with the Nighmare Before Christmas Blu-ray, it appears that I am just about at 1000 titles! If you figure in box sets, I'm well over 1000 movies and TV sets on disc. And I still have a few dozen VHS tapes as well as well over 100 laserdiscs too.

Then I think of the money invested, and I do get a bit nauseous... Apparently, this collecting business is an illness after all.

But I do love my collection. I don't drink or smoke, and have been collecting for close to 20 years, so...

Well, I probably still have too much stuff, but I love it. Not as much as my family, but I do love it. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » October 18th, 2008, 9:55 pm

Whatever you do, Don't think of the money Randall. That takes all the joy out of collecting :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 19th, 2008, 12:14 pm

I'd hate to think what I've spent on my collection, which goes back as far as 8mm and 16mm film collecting before home video took off (yes, that's what I spent my childhood-earned money on my friends...it's always been about the movies for me).

Luckily I don't drink (booze!) or smoke either, so spare cash has always gone on movies. Started with Laurel & Hardy and Disney cartoon shorts on 8mm (and a few soundtrack LPs too!) as a child, then on to VHS and the occasional 16mm print as a teenager, into LaserDiscs well into my late teens, then DVD in my twenties and now, mid-30s, onto Blu-ray!

I think the film I own on most formats is...surprise, surprise...Superman The Movie: on 8mm, the original LP album of course, twice or three times on VHS, three times on CD, on LD, on DVD three times, and I'll likely go Blu at some point, though I've heard the picture upgrade isn't as beneficial as for some titles, and I may wait and see if they release the original cut...at the moment it's 2001 Special Edition or nothing.

Oddly, second to that would be Mickey's Christmas Carol: on 16mm, two or three times on VHS (in Walt Disney Productions and Walt Disney Pictures versions), on LD, and twice, I think, on DVD. Actually, strike the 8mm or 16mm and most of the Disney's I own on all three formats (VHS, LD and DVD, with BD to follow)!

A quick count:

Approx. 30-50+ prints on 8mm and 16mm (though these are in storage so could be wildly more than that, but it's a guess)

Easily more than 500 VHS tapes, including official releases, a few S-VHS masters, and off-air tapings

Around 150+ LDs (titles, not individual disc, so Star Wars Trilogy and Indiana Jones Trilogy, for instance, I just counted as one)

Approx. 2500+ DVDs (this is actual movie titles, so the Star Wars and Indiana Jones Trilogies I actually counted as three each, but a two disc set for one title was just counted as one, if you get my drift), plus a couple of hundred DVD-R recordings and "flat-pack" freebie and promo DVDs. I actually lost count at around 1000 and it looked like I was about half way. Then I remembered I had several boxed up collections and hadn't even included animation yet! So it's an estimated figure, but easily in that region.

Easy one: three BDs, though more on order and a player planned <I>real</I> soon.

And I didn't even think to look at my film-specific audio tape, LP, CD pr book collections! ;)
Last edited by Ben on October 19th, 2008, 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.