Sleeping Beauty: Platinum Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 19th, 2008, 7:04 am

Shame they aren't actually porting everything over from the three major releases (LaserDisc, previous SE and the new PE) for a truly Ulitmate three-disc BD edition.

Weak bonuses for SD DVD fans...a lot of that is carry over from the LD that didn't get dragged across last time.

Ho-hum...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » July 19th, 2008, 10:31 am

That's all you can say? Not even anything about the new ratio?

Now I have a bunch of questions! What did you mean "video paintbox job"? Like how I've suspected all along...they digitally repaint some parts of the film? I know in the Restoration feature on the old DVD, they did show something that looked like that, filling in color on Aurora's dress or something.

So then, a photo-chemical restoration doesn't use a computer, and would you say that kind of restoration will give more accurate results, like, mess with the film a lot less? But at the same time, not look as good or as clean and clear and crisp as a digital one?

Oh, I forgot to mark that the trailers were on the old DVD, and like I said, many of the features from the old DVD (and the LaserDisc I assume) will very likely somehow make it into the new features, in parts or something. I mean, the live-action footage and storyboards are clearly being used again with different names.

What did you mean "SD DVD"? And are you saying a lot of "new" features on this DVD and Blu-ray were on the LD?

And...Sleeping Beauty is one of your favorites? That's a question. Then it would make sense that you would know everything new and everything not, and everything missing. What was on the LaserDisc that we still haven't gotten?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2008, 6:42 am

Dusterian, with the greatest of respect, you are becoming dangerously hostile in tone and therefore close to being banned from our boards.

I was merely expressing regret at the choice of bonus features this edition will include, an edition that many feel has already been covered with the last 2-disc set and is the Platinum line's first double dip...a double dip that not only dilutes the line further but also doesn't include material that should simply have been included in any "ultimate" edition.

So...you attack my reply and then ask me to answer your questions? Ha!

My final remark, "weak bonuses for SD (<B>Standard Definition</B>, keep up) DVD fans" said it all. Those going for the BD option will get more out of it, but definitive either of them ain't.

You're an intense member of our boards, Dusterian, and slightly too intense for my liking. Relax, take a chill pill, enjoy things a bit more and stop getting so heated up over the silliest, tiniest little details, especially the comments other people make on these boards.

Seriously, it's not pleasant.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » July 20th, 2008, 11:54 am

I was trying to figure out if you liked the movie or not, and I thought if you did, you would talk about the new look, especially the new ratio which actually is closer to the theatrical one (the old DVD has missing picture).

I wasn't trying to attack you. I have been angry at you in posts in the past, but this time I was curious by your few words on something I thought you cared about.

I still wish I knew if you mean the standard DVD for this time is the one you think is weak, and what features from the LaserDisc are on it that we didn't get last time. If you just want to say "Look it up!", okay, but not too many places review LaserDiscs and will tell me specifically what was not on previous releases but will be on this one.

As for the hostile tone...well, tone is something often misinterpreted in text only. You know, the old argument that talking in real life is much better. I think just because of my past angry posts you think I'm being hostile. I assure you, I mean no harm. Maybe it sounds contradictory, but I like passionately debating, and perhaps it can be called fighting, but at the end of the day I still want to be friends with everyone on here, including you, not letting our views and opinions stop that.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 20th, 2008, 6:23 pm

That's cool, but as always, there just isn't the time to go in depth on everything one might like to! If I was just a reader here, with time on my hands, I'd be able to talk much more at length. In this case, I just hadn't looked up the specs on the new PE release and, remembering the last SE one was pretty loaded, wondered what on Earth could be new, that's all.

And a LaserDisc review? You want a LaserDisc review? A search on our front page can bring up the most magical of things...

http://animated-views.com/2002/laserdis ... e-edition/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » July 21st, 2008, 1:24 pm

Okay, I forgot you can't talk long on the boards. I just thought you'd say a little more, like about the new look. Well, I guess I'll hear your thoughts in the reviews, then. So, I will await them excitedly.

With you telling me to check the archives and reviews before, I had already seen the LD Sleeping Beauty review. You're right, I hadn't looked at it lately, but looking at it again, I still didn't find what I wanted, which was what you said was "carry over from the LD that didn't get dragged across last time."

But I will try. After the Making Of, you listed Concept Art was like an extension of the documentary, with Eyvind Earle explaining his approach to the look of the movie, with comments from Eric Goldberg and Mike Gabriel. I don't remember if that was on the DVD, and I can't tell if by Concept Art you mean the art in the galleries or what. Then you list something called the LD “step” function lets you view an extensive collection of sketch and finished concepts. I don't know if that was on the DVD either, unless it's more from the galleries. If it was in the galleries, then it probably was on the DVD, but I don't know about Eyvind Earle and the others talking, unless that was "Creating the Backgrounds", which did make it on the DVD.

There is one thing that the LD seems to have that no other release has had (or, that we know so far, any future release will ever have), and that's the 1956 Helene Stanley "Guest Start Day" clip.

Other than that, it seems we aren't missing much. The biggest pity is we aren't getting "Grand Canyon" and "Creating the Backgrounds", but the latter feature may make it somewhere in another feature, just cut up, I guess.

I still don't know what features from the LD that weren't put on last time did get put onto this new release, there doesn't seem to be any. If you meant almost everything from the LD got put on the last DVD, the Special Edition, then you're very right!

So...uh...hopefully what I asked just requires short answers. I'm just trying to figure out what was on the LD that we still won't be getting (that we know of for now).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 31st, 2008, 3:31 pm

Like expected, the UK will be getting another Collector gift set:

OMG, that is simply gorgeous! :D Uhh, must resist!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » July 31st, 2008, 4:31 pm

I agree,Daniel,it looks really great :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 3rd, 2008, 4:06 pm

Still need to pick up that Dalmatians set.

Darn it...why can't the Blu-ray come dressed up like that!? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » August 4th, 2008, 12:52 pm

Yes, the Blu-ray should have tried to look as good as that. Or, any of those other four French covers (posted pages back).

Anyway, there's some new bonus feature news. The Blu-ray's getting:

Dragon Encounter (possibly will be called Dungeon Escape)– Explore Maleficent’s dungeon in a fully-immersive audio sensory adventure using Blu-ray high-definition 7.1 or 5.1 audio quality. Deep in the bowels of Maleficent’s dungeon a dragon encounter awaits.

Restoring The Sound Track – a featurette on the creation of the all new 7.1 mix of the score exclusively for this Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray release using the source tapes from the original recording sessions resulting in an audio experience of superior quality with greater detail and fidelity than ever before.

AND we may get the "Grand Canyon" short film that came with the film's original release as well! So far we only know it comes on a bonus DVD, not a bonus Blu-ray, a bonus DVD, that comes with pre-ordering the Blu-ray on disneyshopping.com or amazon.com, but some people think it may be the very first disc of the regular DVD edition, included to encourage buyers to go for the Blu-ray.

That bonus DVD's full list of features includes:

Digitally restored ''Sleeping Beauty''
''Once Upon a Dream'' music video performed by Emily Osment
Fun facts
Disney song selection
Academy Award®-winning short ''Grand Canyon''
The Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky Story
Audio commentary

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 4th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Am I the only person who doesn't like fancy cases? I want all the great content in a box that will fix in with the rest of my collection! Even those cardboard slipcases need to be tossed I think - they do nothing but duplicate the actual case!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » August 5th, 2008, 12:27 am

Yeah, but they're so shiny and pretty looking :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 15th, 2008, 2:07 pm

Another UK exclusive, Play.com will be offering an exclusive Pop Up packaging edition:

In a word, horrid! Past Pop Ups never looked that weired.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 16th, 2008, 11:57 am

Okay...yeah, I can do without that one.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » August 17th, 2008, 6:19 am

Yeah,I really agree with you,it's ugly :? they should have made Aurora dancing with the animale in the Once Upon A Dream part.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]