Movies of 2008

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 22nd, 2008, 9:36 am

The movie opens Friday and I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I want to go see it.

Maybe it'll be better than it looks? Fat chance, I know. But still...
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 22nd, 2008, 11:50 am

No WJ...don't do ittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » March 22nd, 2008, 12:14 pm

Ben wrote:No WJ...don't do ittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!! ;)
Agree XD,Don't go Wendy's Jane! don't let them make a sequel XDD.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 23rd, 2008, 11:58 pm

I don't know if anyone remembers "Not Another Teen Movie"--certainly not a perfect film (as well as quite gross here and there) but one that had some
merit as a spoof film, as it made fun of plot devices and didn't just ape them.
:roll:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2008, 9:02 am

Y'know...that was just on here <I>last night</I>!

Caught a bit of it...quite funny because, as you say, it's a genre spoof, not a specific movie spoof. In fact, I <I>think</I> it may be something I picked up ages ago and never watched as I think I remember reading the back cover at home. Guess I'll need to dig and see if I can find it!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 3rd, 2008, 3:35 pm

Well, despite everyone else's warnings, I saw "Superhero Movie!" yesterday.

I'd say that about 25% of the movie is very funny.

As for the other 75%? PAINFULLY UNFUNNY AND SOMETIMES DOWNRIGHT TASTELESS!!!

So, only go if you're willing to shell out seven-ten bucks for 25% of a good comedy. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 3rd, 2008, 4:03 pm

*thinking out loud* Hmm...decisions, decisions. I'm a huge nut for superhero films, so on the one hand I'm curious to see what they do with it. On the other, I kinda suspected that it would be like what you said. Do I or don't I? Hmm...maybe I'll catch it as a rental.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 3rd, 2008, 6:03 pm

That's pretty much the same choice that I had to make, Eddie. ;)

However, the "Tasteless" aspect of the film is very questionable at some points. For example, the movie spoofs the scene in "Batman Begins" in which Bruce Wayne's parents are murdered in the alley:
In the film, "Bruce" tries to grab the robber's gun...and accidently shoots his dad in the process. He then struggles with the robber some more and ends up shooting his mom. He keeps trying to take the gun from the robber, shooting his parents over and over and over again while doing so. Eventually, he causes lamposts to fall on their heads. Finally, once the robber has left, "Bruce" runs over to his dying father, who tells him that he has to take a ring out of his pocket before he passes away. But Bruce reaches into the wrong pocket, which apparently has a handgun in it. This leads to mom being shot again. At last, "Bruce" finds the ring in his father's correct pocket...and accidently drops it in his father's mouth. Dad chokes for a very long time until he dies and this "Hilarious" sequence is finally over.
And don't even get me going on the many, many jokes that seem directed at the late Chris Reeve. :roll:

Anyway, speaking of superhero movies, the new trailer for "Hellboy II: The Golden Army" is now online:

http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/72544 ... ardformat/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 4th, 2008, 7:35 am

If they're bashing Chris Reeve, I have no inclination to even bother seeing this for free on TV...

That's just pathetic. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » April 4th, 2008, 8:05 am

Poor Bruce's parents :P.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 4th, 2008, 11:26 am

Ben wrote:If they're bashing Chris Reeve, I have no inclination to even bother seeing this for free on TV...

That's just pathetic. :(
It's this character in the film who's completely parylized. He says the sort of things that Chris Reeve used to say about being that way, but then he starts complaining and using a lot of profanity. I can't really post the things that he says on a board like this one, but all of them are meanspirited, and all of them are in bad taste.

At first, I thought that the charcter was a spoof of Charles Xavier from "X-Men", but then he came into play later on. Towards the end of the film, when the parylized charcter is giving Dragonfly some advice, I noticed that the scene seemed to be a parody of Chris Reeve's episode of "Smallville"...which is when I realized that the character came across as a spoof of him! Now, whether intended or not, this is not only not funny, this is just wrong. That's why I felt kinda funny as I left the theater, knowing that I had given the film seven bucks.

If you see the film at all, see it for free if you can.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » April 4th, 2008, 11:32 am

It's wrong to make fun of Chris Reeve :?.
What character they're spoofing in the film?.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 4th, 2008, 10:59 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:What character they're spoofing in the film?.
In the second season of Smallville Reeve played a minor, yet very important, character named Virgil Swann who told Clark about his origins and where he came from. It's an incredibly powerful scene, made even more so by the use of music from John Williams' Superman score. The entire season to that point led up to that scene and the aftereffects drove the rest of the season and even into season three. Quite a nice way of paying tribute to the man who made Superman what he is today (as far as public perception goes at least).

Thanks for the warning WJ. Now I know for sure that I don't want to see it. Ever. Geez, if they're going to be making those kinds of "parodies" why don't they make it clear in the previews? To make it look like a fun, silly spoof and then go into jokes like that is despicable and dishonest. If this is the kind of thing he's doing now, I don't know that I'll ever watch a Zucker movie again (Airplane! being the obvious exception since that one is actually good).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » April 6th, 2008, 11:32 am

eddievalient wrote:
Once Upon A Dream wrote:What character they're spoofing in the film?.
In the second season of Smallville Reeve played a minor, yet very important, character named Virgil Swann who told Clark about his origins and where he came from. It's an incredibly powerful scene, made even more so by the use of music from John Williams' Superman score. The entire season to that point led up to that scene and the aftereffects drove the rest of the season and even into season three. Quite a nice way of paying tribute to the man who made Superman what he is today (as far as public perception goes at least).
Thanks for telling me and I didn't knew that :D but I meant what characters are spoffed in the film (I already know that Spider-Man is but does Fantastic Four or Batman are spoffed?).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » April 6th, 2008, 4:58 pm

This should answer your question, Once.