Manga & Anime THREAD

General Discussions, Polls, Lists, Video Clips and Links
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Good News For All You Anime Fans Out There

Post by eddievalient » May 17th, 2007, 12:26 pm

I just read something awesome on wikipedia. I know their reliability is debateable, but I thought I'd pass this along in case it turns out to be true (and I hope it is).

After the hideously bad job done on the series by 4Kids Entertainment (who have, thankfully, given up on it), Funimation has aquired the licence to the popular Japanese show One Piece and will be releasing the series still edited somewhat for television (although not nearly as severely) but completely uncut on dvd.

Reportedly, they will start where 4Kids left off (with episode 144), but eventually redub and rerelease the previous episodes that had been botched so horribly. An official announcement is supposed to be made at this year's Anime Expo, so we'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

For me, this is fantastic news. I have been reading the manga from the very beginning (ever since they began releasing it in America) and have always been a big fan. I was extremely disappointed, like many people, in the way 4Kids handled the anime and a bit sad at the idea that because of them we may never have gotten a proper uncut version. Now that Funimation has it, there is hope that the fans will finally be able to view the series the way it was intended and that is cause for some major celebration. Reportedly, the new dub will begin airing on Cartoon Network in August with the dvds (supposedly to be 13 episode sets rather than single disc releases) following shortly thereafter. Let's all breath a sigh of relief and hope that this is the beginning of something great.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 17th, 2007, 8:15 pm

It's confirmed. It's really happening! This is the most excited I've been about ANYTHING in about five years (since Pokemon started to lose its luster). It all seems so far away....
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 18th, 2007, 1:27 am

Yeah, I heard about this sometime ago. I've never been a fan of One Piece, but when I heard about the whole 4Kids thing, I just had to do some research. And wow, its amazing what they did to the show.

The only sad thing about all this, though, is that Veronica Taylor and Eric Stuart lost their roles. I know they weren't perfect, (in OP) but after losing their roles on Pokemon last year (which I'm still trying to get over. :cry:) and now this, it just seems unfair. But I know, its bussiness.

GeorgeC

New announcement on classic anime titles!

Post by GeorgeC » May 24th, 2007, 2:48 pm

http://www.animeondvd.com/news/pr.php?pr_view=1045

Basically, The Right Stuf is going to be carrying several classic anime titles announced recently by the cable network, ImaginAsian.

These titles include the original 1983 Super Dimension Century Orguss series, Nobody's Boy-Remi, and Cat's Eye Season One.

Until recently, it was thought you could only get these titles through ImaginAsian online store but I haven't been able to FIND a store on ImaginAsian's website! :roll:

Furthermore, according to this article:
"Each series will premiere on ImaginAsianTV as part of the “TMS Presents: Anime Classics” programming block prior to its DVD release. The DVDs will be published using “manufacture-to-order” technology from TitleMatch, with CSS encryption and region coding on DVD-R media.

"Each series will run for eight volumes, with four to seven episodes per volume. The first volume of each series, which will include a keepcase to house all eight discs, will be available for $12.99. Subsequent volumes will be offered for $9.99. The initial DVD releases are tentatively scheduled for early July 2007."

The Right Stuf has already announced that because of the already-low-prices, there WON'T be discounts on these shows. Fine by me. Cheap-enough-already... However, they WILL be eligible for free shipping within the US. (No thanks, I'm STILL using certified, insurance-backed shipping!)

Now aside from crummy dub adaptations of ALREADY-KIDS'-SHOWS edited for kiddies (Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh I'm looking at you), you just don't see price points for licensed anime series like that! Granted these 3 series are all pushing nearly a quarter-century-old now, but man are those good prices!

The new technology used for these anime releases could also be a real coup for other shows and older movies, too.

I hope so. Anything that boosts availability of earlier films and TV series while maintaining decent quality at AN AFFORDABLE PRICEPOINT is fine by me!

P.S. -- Don't worry, it's already been confirmed that better Japanese video masters are being used for these shows. There's not going to be repeat of past situations where poor source materials were foisted on domestic distributors.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » May 24th, 2007, 6:23 pm

Orguss is a really good show, to boot. Fans of Robotech/Macross should especially enjoy it, since it had essentially the same production crew as Macross. In fact, back in the 1980's, many american anime fans thought it was a 'sequel' series for Macross! :o

That's certainly a very good price .. and definitely interesting, given that Animeigo's Urusei Yatsura DVD series followed a similar manufacturing structure (limiting the amount produced, based on pre-orders), and wound up at nearly three times that price point! :?

GeorgeC

American anime industry in downward spiral?

Post by GeorgeC » September 27th, 2007, 12:22 am

Geneon Exits American Anime Industry

Geneon USA has officially informed retailers that as of 5 PM PDT this Friday, September 28th, the company will cease all DVD production, sales, and distribution.

All Geneon USA DVD titles scheduled for release after November 6, 2007 have apparently been canceled.

That's from AnimeNation.com.

The reality doesn't get clearer than that. Another domestic licensing company has bit the dust and joins the likes of Streamline Pictures, Urban Vision, TokyoPop, CPM, AnimeCrash, Broccoli, and others as having tried the anime licensing game in the United States but just finding their business models and product weren't quite cutting it in the DVD age.

The Geneon situation is really sad because this is the company that in its earlier guise as Pioneer Anime introduced Tenchi Muyo and reintroduced Akira to DVD fans in a remastered, re-subtitled, and newly dubbed hybrid DVD.

But Pioneer/Geneon never really quite played the DVD game as well as Funimation, ADV Films, and others. Their releases were always priced higher until the second, third, or fourth re-releases of the same 10- and 15-year-old shows like Tenchi Muyo and Fushigi Yugi. Whereas other company product could be had $10-$15 cheaper than MSRP, Geneon DVDs generally sold in-store at full MSRP -- $24.99 or $29.99...

The newer Pioneer/Geneon shows also just weren't as flashy and eye-catching as the ADV and Funimation titles of the past 2-3 years and longer... They just never captured the hearts and minds of the current generation of American anime fans.

The Geneon titles -- at least a few -- will probably be licensed and released by other companies in the near future, but it sure won't be the same.

The consolidation of a subindustry within a much larger DVD market is still ongoing.

Sad to say, but I doubt this is the last company that will exit anime DVD production in the US.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 27th, 2007, 12:11 pm

All the more reason that fans should snap up their favorite shows while they can, especially since many of the best ones can now be had complete for $50 or less. The loss of Geneon is a shame though. I never did get Tenchi Muyo and now it appears I'll have to wait for someone to rerelease it or else pay far too much on ebay for a "rare" copy. Bandai and Funimation make up the bulk of my small collection and there are still plenty of their shows I'd like to get, so I sincerely hope they stick around awhile.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Doraemon toys at wal-mart. First time in america!

Post by gaastra » October 18th, 2007, 3:44 pm

Wal-mart is now selling doraemon toys in thier quarter machines.

Toy pvcs, stickers, and key chains all with the doreamon cast.

This might ne a sing that the doraemon show is coming to america.

This is the first time that doreamon anything is sold in america.

Viz has the rights but never aired the show here.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 18th, 2007, 3:52 pm

Welcome, gaastra! :)

Doraemon's that little blue cat thing, right? How cool! Did you hear about this, or did you see it in person?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 18th, 2007, 4:00 pm

I'd just guess they were cheap import toys that came with a cheap import--
The road to licensing is still long. :(

(And Doraemon is hysterical if you can find the fansubs, but it's such a mix of preschool and proto-anime crayon-drawn, fans lose hopes of it ever getting that big mainstream break except on reputation.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 18th, 2007, 4:15 pm

Found them at wal-mart today.

Got my niece a doraemon and nobit keychain.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 18th, 2007, 7:30 pm

Interesting. I'll have to check mine out soon, to see if they got anything. Sounds a little fishy, though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 18th, 2007, 11:24 pm

Daniel wrote:Interesting. I'll have to check mine out soon, to see if they got anything. Sounds a little fishy, though.
I once found a couple of cute plush Mei's from "Totoro" in a no-name arcade bin, but since suspected that they might've been Asian knockoffs...
Which wouldn't have had much value over there, either, where they do recognize the genuine article.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 22nd, 2007, 1:35 am

Totoro? That name rings a bell.

Well, I checked my Wal-Mart... and nothing. :( So maybe its what's suspected or mine hasn't gottan the stuff yet.

GeorgeC

Unico licensed & birth of a new R1 anime company....

Post by GeorgeC » October 25th, 2007, 11:17 pm

ToonZone has an interesting tidbit about a new anime R1 licensing company, New Galaxy Anime.

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=19525

To paraphrase the article, NGA is interested in licensing anime for all ages with a particular emphasis on shoujo anime.

(Shoujo are stories primarily aimed at girls whether the medium is print/manga or film/anime. Just to clarify for people not familiar with the term. FYI, Sailor Moon and Fruits Basket are definitely shoujo!)

NGA has already licensed The Adventures of Unico, a 1981 film directed by Osamu Tezuka, the creator of Astro Boy.

I believe Unico was shown on HBO or Disney Channel in the 1980s shortly after it was dubbed into English. Cute-looking character as I remember it.

There's not a lot up about New Galaxy Anime beyond the Unico annnouncement -- not even a date for that, either! --, but the company website is http://www.newgalaxyanime.com

I wish them luck. Unless they luck onto properties that have high nostalgia value or instantly click with people, they're entering a rough field at this time.

Anime DVD sales are way down... Down 19% for 2005-2006, doown 23% for this past year. On top of that, at least 2 companies have folded or are in the process of restructuring (ie, no longer producing anime DVDs for the US market) or going through bankruptcy.

Not a pretty picture, but that's reality.

At any rate, I'm an occasional sucker for cute stuff and probably would get Unico myself. :D